"Foreword" and "Editor's Introduction"
• The foreword by H.H. Dalai Lama introduces love, compassion, and altruism at the foundations of inner peace.
• The Dalai Lama foreshadows late sections in the book by mentioning world peace.
• Arnold Kotler, the editor, gives biographical background information on Thich Nhat Hanh, the book's author.
• Arnold Kotler adds credibility to Hanh by discussing the author's dedication to Buddhism and meditation.
Part 1, Chapters 1-9
• Hanh reminds readers to live in the present moment, rather than the past or the future.
• Hanh explains the relationship between smiling and relaxation.
• Hanh presents the dandelion as a symbol for smiling.
• Hanh explains how to practice mindful breathing.
• Hanh makes a point of noting that mankind can never truly relax because of constantly thinking.
• Hanh points out that humankind allows harmful intrusions, such as violence on television, to invade the senses.
• Hanh states that we must...
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)