|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Cult," what does the leprechaun do to Captain Crunch?
2. Who is Lenny Bruce in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
3. What religion is Michael Green, a child on the "Five Under Five" list?
4. What does Stewart make fun of by writing "Five Under Five"?
5. Why does the narrator of "The Devil and William Gates" say that Bill Gates swears his soul to the devil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters' names are symbolic in "Five Under Five." Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Stewart choose these particular names for the characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stewart use irony in "The Devil and William Gates"? Are there certain situations or events that strike you as particularly ironic? Why would Stewart include this literary technique in his work?
Essay Topic 3
Historical events play a very significant role in Stewart's stories. Why do you think Stewart enjoys citing historical events as a way of making writing more humorous? Do you think real events or made-up events are funnier?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)