|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of actor should present at an awards ceremony according to the narrator of "The Recipe"?
2. What religion is Michael Green, a child on the "Five Under Five" list?
3. Who adopts Vincent van Gogh's persona on AOL in "Vincent and Theo on AOL"?
4. Who proposes that Stewart should commit suicide in "The Cult"?
5. What will the ethnicity of the fifth member on the "Five Under Five" list be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
2. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
3. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
4. Which child on the "Five Under Five" list do you find most interesting?
5. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
6. Who are Fred Silverman and Lenny Bruce as described in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
7. What is the purpose of the last short story?
8. What collection of genes makes up Cary Streisand of the "Five Under Five" list?
9. Where is "The Recipe" discovered?
10. What does Jon Stewart imagine himself to be in "The Cult"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sheldon appears in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold" only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Sheldon's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Stewart uses in writing about Sheldon.
Essay Topic 2
What tone does Stewart use in "The Last Supper, or the Dead Waiter"? Do you think the tone matches the content of the story? If not, why do you think Stewart would pair a lighthearted tone with a story with serious content?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stewart use tragic irony in "The Cult"? Why do you think he decided to use it in this story?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)