|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What company offers corrections for Stewart's book in "Microsoft Word '98"?
2. What fashion magazine is mentioned in "Five After Five"?
3. Whose clothing did Hitler wear as he escaped from the bunker in 1945 according to the narrator of "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
4. What is the original title of Bruce's television show in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
5. What explanation is given to Silverman for Bruce's itching and nodding off in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of people are involved in "The Recipe"?
2. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
3. Where is "The Recipe" discovered?
4. What collection of genes makes up Cary Streisand of the "Five Under Five" list?
5. Compare and contrast the characters of the Devil and William Gates as described in the short story.
6. Which child on the "Five Under Five" list do you find most interesting?
7. Why does Silverman finally have to cancel Bruce's contract in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
8. Why does Stewart create a fake persona to pretend to be Vincent van Gogh on AOL?
9. What explanation does Stewart give about his inaccurate predictions in "The Cult"?
10. What does Jon Stewart imagine himself to be in "The Cult"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tone does Stewart use in "The Last Supper, or the Dead Waiter"? Do you think the tone matches the content of the story? If not, why do you think Stewart would pair a lighthearted tone with a story with serious content?
Essay Topic 2
Which secondary character in Stewart's book do you think has the most significant impact on a story? In what context does this occur? Do you think Stewart meant for this character to have such an impact?
Essay Topic 3
How is Stewart's collection of stories ultimately resolved? Do you think the resolution was adequate? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)