|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose credit card is cancelled in "The Devil and Bill Gates"?
2. On which television channel will Hitler probably stand trial in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
3. What sort of actor should present at an awards ceremony according to the narrator of "The Recipe"?
4. What is the original title of Bruce's television show in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
5. Who does Hitler say he now hates in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you find the final short story amusing? Why or why not?
2. Describe the concept of a "Five Under Five" list.
3. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
4. Where is "The Recipe" discovered?
5. What message is Stewart trying to communicate in "Five Under Five"?
6. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
7. What is the purpose of the last short story?
8. Describe the interview between Larry King and Adolf Hitler in Stewart's short story.
9. What does Sheldon discover when he reaches his high school reunion in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
10. What explanation does Stewart give about his inaccurate predictions in "The Cult"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What tone does Stewart use in "The Last Supper, or the Dead Waiter"? Do you think the tone matches the content of the story? If not, why do you think Stewart would pair a lighthearted tone with a story with serious content?
Essay Topic 2
Historical events play a very significant role in Stewart's stories. Why do you think Stewart enjoys citing historical events as a way of making writing more humorous? Do you think real events or made-up events are funnier?
Essay Topic 3
Stewart's story, "Vincent and Theo on AOL," presents brothers who appear to be very different from one another. Compare and contrast Vincent and Theo. How are their worldviews different? How are they the same? Be sure to use specific examples from the reading.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)