|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the recipe for awards ceremonies according to the narrator of "The Recipe"?
2. What is the list after "Five after Five" expected to feature?
3. How long is the "contract of servitude" good for in "The Devil and William Gates"?
4. What do Sheldon and the monster watch on TV after returning home in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
5. Who does Hitler say he now hates in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which child on the "Five Under Five" list do you find most interesting?
2. What does Jon Stewart imagine himself to be in "The Cult"?
3. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
4. What do you think Stewart's purpose is in writing "The Recipe"?
5. What sort of people are involved in "The Recipe"?
6. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
7. What has Stewart foretold in "The Cult"?
8. Who is Sheldon Francis Stein in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
9. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
10. What is the purpose of the last short story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall theme of "Martha Stewart's Vagina"? Is there more than one theme? Do you find it difficult to identify something as cohesive as a theme for a story so ironic and satirical?
Essay Topic 2
Characters' names are symbolic in "Five Under Five." Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Stewart choose these particular names for the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the experiences of Eileen in "A Very Hanson Christmas." What is it like for her to be a mother of a young musical act? What is Stewart trying to make fun of in this story? Does he succeed?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)