|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sort of woman should present at an awards ceremony following the honoree's speech according to the narrator of "The Recipe"?
2. What position does Fred Silverman hold at ABC in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
3. In "Five Under Five," which magazine's research team is featured?
4. Which artist does Vincent van Gogh not discuss online in "Vincent and Theo on AOL"?
5. What fashion magazine is mentioned in "Five After Five"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
2. Why does Silverman finally have to cancel Bruce's contract in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
3. Describe the concept of a "Five Under Five" list.
4. Do you find the final short story amusing? Why or why not?
5. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
6. What message is Stewart trying to communicate in "Five Under Five"?
7. Compare and contrast the characters of the Devil and William Gates as described in the short story.
8. Describe the relationship between Vincent and his brother, Theo, as described in "Vincent and Theo on AOL."
9. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
10. Describe the interview between Larry King and Adolf Hitler in Stewart's short story.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Historical events play a very significant role in Stewart's stories. Why do you think Stewart enjoys citing historical events as a way of making writing more humorous? Do you think real events or made-up events are funnier?
Essay Topic 2
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Stewart's work as a whole.
Essay Topic 3
How is Stewart's collection of stories ultimately resolved? Do you think the resolution was adequate? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)