|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sheldon and the monster watch on TV after returning home in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
2. How old is the recipe for awards ceremonies according to the narrator of "The Recipe"?
3. What sort of banter should the presenting actor and actress have at an awards ceremony?
4. What years are the trendsetters thought to be most popular in "Five Under Five"?
5. Who is Lenny Bruce in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you find the final short story amusing? Why or why not?
2. Why does Stewart create a fake persona to pretend to be Vincent van Gogh on AOL?
3. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
4. Which child on the "Five Under Five" list do you find most interesting?
5. What does Sheldon discover when he reaches his high school reunion in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
6. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
7. What sort of people are involved in "The Recipe"?
8. Describe the relationship between Vincent and his brother, Theo, as described in "Vincent and Theo on AOL."
9. What message is Stewart trying to communicate in "Five Under Five"?
10. Where is "The Recipe" discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Stewart's collection of stories ultimately resolved? Do you think the resolution was adequate? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Characters' names are symbolic in "Five Under Five." Choose two characters and describe what their names symbolize. Why would Stewart choose these particular names for the characters?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)