|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What genes are combined to make a child on the "Five Under Five" list?
2. Who are Stewart's lieutenants in "The Cult"?
3. Who should make a political plea at an awards ceremony according to the narrator of "The Recipe"?
4. Which artist does Vincent van Gogh not discuss online in "Vincent and Theo on AOL"?
5. How does Stewart try to commit suicide in "The Cult"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
2. Describe the concept of a "Five Under Five" list.
3. Why does Silverman finally have to cancel Bruce's contract in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
4. Where is "The Recipe" discovered?
5. Who is Sheldon Francis Stein in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
6. What collection of genes makes up Cary Streisand of the "Five Under Five" list?
7. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
8. What is the purpose of the last short story?
9. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
10. What do you think Stewart's purpose is in writing "The Recipe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the experiences of Eileen in "A Very Hanson Christmas." What is it like for her to be a mother of a young musical act? What is Stewart trying to make fun of in this story? Does he succeed?
Essay Topic 2
Sheldon appears in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold" only briefly, yet serves a significant role. Describe Sheldon's character, his impact on the story, and any irony Stewart uses in writing about Sheldon.
Essay Topic 3
Historical events play a very significant role in Stewart's stories. Why do you think Stewart enjoys citing historical events as a way of making writing more humorous? Do you think real events or made-up events are funnier?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)