|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years have passed since Sheldon graduated high school in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
2. What company offers corrections for Stewart's book in "Microsoft Word '98"?
3. What genes are combined to make a child on the "Five Under Five" list?
4. To whom does Vincent pour out his heart on AOL in "Vincent and Theo on AOL"?
5. What years are the trendsetters thought to be most popular in "Five Under Five"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the characters of the Devil and William Gates as described in the short story.
2. What message is Stewart trying to communicate in "Five Under Five"?
3. What is the purpose of the last short story?
4. What does Jon Stewart imagine himself to be in "The Cult"?
5. What has Stewart foretold in "The Cult"?
6. What collection of genes makes up Cary Streisand of the "Five Under Five" list?
7. What explanation does Stewart give about his inaccurate predictions in "The Cult"?
8. Why does Silverman finally have to cancel Bruce's contract in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
9. What sort of people are involved in "The Recipe"?
10. Describe the relationship between Vincent and his brother, Theo, as described in "Vincent and Theo on AOL."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stewart use irony in "The Devil and William Gates"? Are there certain situations or events that strike you as particularly ironic? Why would Stewart include this literary technique in his work?
Essay Topic 2
Princess Diana and Mother Teresa are two famous, charitable women, yet are very different in numerous ways. Compare and contrast the two female characters by using specific examples from "Pen Pals."
Essay Topic 3
Judaism is a significant part of Stewart's writing. What does Judaism symbolize in "The New Judaism"? What part of this allows for intersection between author and work?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)