|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold", Sheldon pictures himself as a character in which novel?
2. What does "The Recipe" give an outline of?
3. What genes are combined to make a child on the "Five Under Five" list?
4. What explanation is given to Silverman for Bruce's itching and nodding off in "Lenny Bruce: The Making of a Sitcom"?
5. Who produces Bill Gates' "contract of servitude" according to the narrator of "The Devil and William Gates"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sheldon Francis Stein in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
2. Describe the relationship between Vincent and his brother, Theo, as described in "Vincent and Theo on AOL."
3. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
4. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
5. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
6. Describe the concept of a "Five Under Five" list.
7. What has Stewart foretold in "The Cult"?
8. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
9. What message is Stewart trying to communicate in "Five Under Five"?
10. What sort of people are involved in "The Recipe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Historical events play a very significant role in Stewart's stories. Why do you think Stewart enjoys citing historical events as a way of making writing more humorous? Do you think real events or made-up events are funnier?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stewart use irony in "The Devil and William Gates"? Are there certain situations or events that strike you as particularly ironic? Why would Stewart include this literary technique in his work?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)