|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offers corrections for Stewart's book in "Microsoft Word '98"?
2. What religion is Michael Green, a child on the "Five Under Five" list?
3. Who is Maggie Lynn Pratt according to the narrator of "Five Under Five"?
4. What will be happening to Generation X during 2015-2025 according to the narrator of "Five Under Five"?
5. What does Stewart make fun of by writing "Five Under Five"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "The Cult," how does Stewart die?
2. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
3. Compare and contrast the characters of the Devil and William Gates as described in the short story.
4. Who is Sheldon Francis Stein in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
5. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
6. What has Stewart foretold in "The Cult"?
7. What does Sheldon discover when he reaches his high school reunion in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
8. Who are Fred Silverman and Lenny Bruce as described in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
9. Why does Silverman finally have to cancel Bruce's contract in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
10. What sort of people are involved in "The Recipe"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the experiences of Eileen in "A Very Hanson Christmas." What is it like for her to be a mother of a young musical act? What is Stewart trying to make fun of in this story? Does he succeed?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative point of view carried through all of Stewart's short stories in this book affect the way characters are perceived by the reader? Choose three examples from Stewart's short stories to show how this third-party point of view impacts the work.
Essay Topic 3
What tone does Stewart use in "The Last Supper, or the Dead Waiter"? Do you think the tone matches the content of the story? If not, why do you think Stewart would pair a lighthearted tone with a story with serious content?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)