|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Vincent pour out his heart on AOL in "Vincent and Theo on AOL"?
2. What does "The Recipe" give an outline of?
3. How does Stewart try to escape in "The Cult"?
4. What sort of banter should the presenting actor and actress have at an awards ceremony?
5. In "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview," Hitler is interviewed by whom on television?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Stewart's purpose is in writing "The Recipe"?
2. Describe the concept of a "Five Under Five" list.
3. Which child on the "Five Under Five" list do you find most interesting?
4. Who are Fred Silverman and Lenny Bruce as described in "Lenny Bruce: the Making of a Sitcom"?
5. What does Sheldon discover when he reaches his high school reunion in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
6. Where is "The Recipe" discovered?
7. What reason does Hitler give for wanting to vow revenge in "Adolf Hitler: the Larry King Interview"?
8. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
9. What irony is found in "The Recipe"?
10. Do you find the final short story amusing? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Stewart's work as a whole.
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative point of view carried through all of Stewart's short stories in this book affect the way characters are perceived by the reader? Choose three examples from Stewart's short stories to show how this third-party point of view impacts the work.
Essay Topic 3
Stewart's story, "Vincent and Theo on AOL," presents brothers who appear to be very different from one another. Compare and contrast Vincent and Theo. How are their worldviews different? How are they the same? Be sure to use specific examples from the reading.
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)