|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ford's steward try to convince Ford of?
2. In what decade does Eileen Hanson send out her Christmas card?
3. How many 20th century items are found in da Vinci's notebook, according to the narrator of "Da Vinci: the Lost Notebook," ?
4. According to the narrator of "Martha Stewart's Vagina," who recommended that Martha write an advice item about the vagina?
5. What does the narrator do at the Kennedys' home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you admire the Hansons? Why?
2. How does Stewart make Ford a fascinating character?
3. What sort of personality does Avram the waiter have in "The Last Supper"?
4. Why does Princess Diana want to be pen pals with Mother Teresa as stated in "Pen Pals"?
5. Describe how Martha says the exterior of the vagina should look, according to the narrator of "Martha Stewart's Vagina."
6. How are Princess Diana and Mother Teresa different as they are portrayed in "Pen Pals"? How are they the same?
7. What is the tone of "Pen Pals"?
8. What do you think of the relationship between Senor Jangles and James MacPherson in "Local News"?
9. What role does the narrator play in "Breakfast at Kennedy's"?
10. Describe the relationship between Eileen and her children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall theme of "Martha Stewart's Vagina"? Is there more than one theme? Do you find it difficult to identify something as cohesive as a theme for a story so ironic and satirical?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Stewart's work as a whole.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)