|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Spain offer Jews conversion or expulsion?
2. What does the New Judaism require according to the narrator of "The New Judaism"?
3. Where does Jesus host a dinner for twelve friends in "The Last Supper"?
4. What do the Cambodians hold captive while Ford tries to open a Coke bottle?
5. What does Eileen Hanson apologize for in her letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Martha says the exterior of the vagina should look, according to the narrator of "Martha Stewart's Vagina."
2. Who is Senor Jangles as described in "Local News"?
3. What events in "The Last Supper" are meant to be humorous?
4. How is the disappearance of da Vinci's notebook explained in "Da Vinci: the Lost Notebook"?
5. Who is your favorite character in "Lack of Power"? Why?
6. Explain the symbolic meaning of da Vinci's lost notebook in "Da Vinci: the Lost Notebook."
7. Do you like Martha Stewart based on what you read in this short story? Why or why not?
8. How does Stewart make Ford a fascinating character?
9. How does "Pen Pals" end?
10. Compare and contrast the Orthodox with the New Judaism as explained in "The New Judaism".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judaism is a significant part of Stewart's writing. What does Judaism symbolize in "The New Judaism"? What part of this allows for intersection between author and work?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The title of one of Stewart's stories, "The Recipe," does not clearly communicate the theme of that particular short story. In your opinion, why does Stewart choose this particular title for the story? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)