|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where have the Jews put down a time-share, according to "The New Judaism"?
2. Which of the following is not a term used by the narrator of "Martha Stewart's Vagina" in relation to the vagina?
3. Who writes to Diana's father in "Pen Pals"?
4. What time is Jesus' party seated in "The Last Supper"?
5. What do the Cambodians hold captive while Ford tries to open a Coke bottle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eileen go to rehab? What is her reaction?
2. What does Gates do in "The Devil and William Gates" in order to convince the Devil to give him all power?
3. Explain the symbolic meaning of da Vinci's lost notebook in "Da Vinci: the Lost Notebook."
4. Who is Sheldon Francis Stein in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
5. How does "Pen Pals" end?
6. How does Stewart make Ford a fascinating character?
7. Who is your favorite character in "Lack of Power"? Why?
8. Describe the setting for this story as given in the beginning of "Breakfast at Kennedy's."
9. What collection of genes makes up Cary Streisand of the "Five Under Five" list?
10. Do you find the final short story amusing? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 1
Which secondary character in Stewart's book do you think has the most significant impact on a story? In what context does this occur? Do you think Stewart meant for this character to have such an impact?
Essay Topic 2
The title of one of Stewart's stories, "The Recipe," does not clearly communicate the theme of that particular short story. In your opinion, why does Stewart choose this particular title for the story? What does this title signify? What does it tell readers about the story?
Essay Topic 3
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
This section contains 1,289 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)