|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eileen Hanson write at the end of her letter?
2. What does the manuscript in "The Last Supper" address?
3. How many punches are thrown to kill Senor Jangles in "Local News"?
4. What sport does Ford watch on television the day after Carter's inauguration?
5. What does Al Haig give up to get Ford to sign Nixon's pardon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which child on the "Five Under Five" list do you find most interesting?
2. Describe the concept of a "Five Under Five" list.
3. Explain the dynamics of Jesus's relationship with his disciples in "The Last Supper."
4. What mascots does Stewart suggest for New Judaism?
5. Why does Princess Diana want to be pen pals with Mother Teresa as stated in "Pen Pals"?
6. Who is Sheldon Francis Stein in "Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"?
7. Do you admire the Hansons? Why?
8. Do you like Martha Stewart based on what you read in this short story? Why or why not?
9. Explain the symbolic meaning of da Vinci's lost notebook in "Da Vinci: the Lost Notebook."
10. Who is Senor Jangles as described in "Local News"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the narrative point of view carried through all of Stewart's short stories in this book affect the way characters are perceived by the reader? Choose three examples from Stewart's short stories to show how this third-party point of view impacts the work.
Essay Topic 2
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Judaism is a significant part of Stewart's writing. What does Judaism symbolize in "The New Judaism"? What part of this allows for intersection between author and work?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)