|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose non-kosher offerings are too delicious to resist, according to the narrator of "The New Judaism"?
2. How long does Ford try to open a Coke bottle?
3. How does Teresa die in "Pen Pals"?
4. What is the style of Diana's letter to Mother Teresa?
5. Where is Senor Jangles killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you admire the Hansons? Why?
2. Describe the relationship between Eileen and her children.
3. What role does the narrator play in "Breakfast at Kennedy's"?
4. Compare and contrast the Orthodox with the New Judaism as explained in "The New Judaism".
5. Who is Senor Jangles as described in "Local News"?
6. What do you make of a small dog becoming so famous in "Local News"?
7. How does Stewart make Ford a fascinating character?
8. Which drawing in da Vinci's notebook do you think sounds the most interesting?
9. Explain the dynamics of Jesus's relationship with his disciples in "The Last Supper."
10. What is the tone of "Pen Pals"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Recipe," how does Stewart use satire to communicate his message? Do you find this tactic humorous, confusing, or offensive? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does the narrative point of view carried through all of Stewart's short stories in this book affect the way characters are perceived by the reader? Choose three examples from Stewart's short stories to show how this third-party point of view impacts the work.
Essay Topic 3
How is Stewart's collection of stories ultimately resolved? Do you think the resolution was adequate? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)