|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Senor Jangles' murderer in "Local News"?
2. Who does the narrator of "Martha Stewart's Vagina" say can make an appearance in the vagina?
3. Who is Senor Jangles?
4. What is unique about the narrator of "Breakfast at Kennedy's"?
5. What does the narrator of "Breakfast at Kennedy's" find inside a darkened bunker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stewart make Ford a fascinating character?
2. Do you like Martha Stewart based on what you read in this short story? Why or why not?
3. What do you make of a small dog becoming so famous in "Local News"?
4. How does "Pen Pals" end?
5. Describe the differences between the narrator and Jack Kennedy.
6. Do you admire the Hansons? Why?
7. What role does the narrator play in "Breakfast at Kennedy's"?
8. What do you think of the relationship between Senor Jangles and James MacPherson in "Local News"?
9. What events in "The Last Supper" are meant to be humorous?
10. How are Princess Diana and Mother Teresa different as they are portrayed in "Pen Pals"? How are they the same?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Princess Diana and Mother Teresa are two famous, charitable women, yet are very different in numerous ways. Compare and contrast the two female characters by using specific examples from "Pen Pals."
Essay Topic 2
How is Stewart's collection of stories ultimately resolved? Do you think the resolution was adequate? In your opinion, what could have been added (or removed) to make it more meaningful?
Essay Topic 3
Distinguish between tone and mood as used in literature, and then compare and contrast the tone and mood of Stewart's work as a whole.
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)