|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the new associate training last at DLJ?
2. Although vice presidents make associates difficult lives, associates cooperate because the vice presidents _______.
3. Upon accepting the offer to DLJ, what were both Troob and Rolfe given?
4. Who was the first MBA student to receive recruiters?
5. What did the winning investment bank distribute to potential buyers to get a sale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although the hours where very long, how did DLJ "thank" its associates for all their work?
2. Why must DLJ employees keep their bonuses a secret?
3. What two things happen when managing directors brokers a deal with an outside company?
4. Because a pitch book is a very important piece of information for the client, was it a privilege to work on a pitch book.
5. In an investment bank, how do analysts differ from associates?
6. How did both Troob and Rolfe succeed in leaving DLJ?
7. Why did Discounted Cash flow Analysis annoy Troob and Rolfe?
8. How did Rolfe and Troob describe top tier business schools throughout the novel?
9. How did investment bankers cut their own risk when dealing with new companies?
10. Why are senior vice presidents important to investment banks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following questions to write about:
1. What two themes are the most prevalent in the book? Discuss the themes and describe two specific situations in which the themes are present.
2. Compare and contrast Ed Star and Les Newton. How are the men alike and different? Why did many people wish to emulate these two men.
3. The theme of exhaustion is ever present during Rolfe and Troob's employment at DLJ. Explain how exhaustion cycles through the DLJ employees in the book.
Essay Topic 2
1. Discuss the most prevalent roles of women in the book.
2. Pick three characters and analyze how their roles as women are presented throughout the novel.
3. Is their a common job that all women have? Do these jobs seem degrading or demoralizing?
Essay Topic 3
1. When both men tried to leave DLJ, how were they persuaded to stay?
2. Did DLJ seem to have any interest in making the actual job of being an associate any more meaningful?
3. If they had made the job more appeasing and meaningful to Rolfe and Troob, would both men have stayed?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)