|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did summer associates get full time jobs?
2. What place did the recruiters think was appropriate to take Troob, Rolfe, and others?
3. What investment bank did Troob secure a job with?
4. At this point in the book, why do Troob and Rolfe decide to stay at DLJ and work for a permanent offer?
5. At the time the book was published, what does the average upper level investment banker make?
Short Essay Questions
1. If a company is over valued by an investment bank, what eventually happened?
2. What is different about printing the prospectus versus printing the pitch book.
3. Unfortunately, for the associates, how did they usually learn that they had to bribe the copy center?
4. How is the rest of a typical investment firm situated? Who comprises the upper sects of the company?
5. Finally, what happened to the pitch books to ensure they were properly finished?
6. What are the two services that many investment bankers offer to their clients?
7. What are do the first two sections of the prospectus comprised of?
8. How did MBA students like Troob and Rolfe work to get summer positions at firms?
9. Name the sections of the pitch book and what is involved in each section.
10. How did the two recruiters persuade Troob to take the position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Disillusionment is a theme that continually appears throughout the novel. As characters realize the true nature of their jobs, they are full of disappointment, anger, abused, and regretful:
Analyze three different times where Rolfe and Troob experience disillusionment with DLJ.
Describe the four phases they experienced.
Essay Topic 2
Although it might not seem as though the book was written with a lot of literary devices, foreshadowing is used quite a lot.
List and describe four times in which foreshadowing occurs throughout the book.
Also answer, what particular event is being foreshadows.
Essay Topic 3
There are very few women mentioned as investment bankers in the book. It quickly becomes clear to the reader that investment banking is a male dominated field.
1. Describe some of the positions that are mostly women at DLJ. Why are many of these positions non-managing titles?
2. How does the investment banking atmosphere work to reinforce typical American gender roles?
3. Besides bank employees, why are women portrayed as sexual objects to male investment bankers.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)