|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The second section of the pitch book did what of the following?
2. What do investment banks no longer put up front to help the new business?
3. This job in investment banking has no hopes for advancement. Employees are paid huge salaries but for two or three years live under harsh, abusive conditions until they can go back to school for their MBA degrees.
4. What did most of Bubble pitch books require?
5. Who rarely visited the Bullpen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Above all else, what was important to Rolfe when he started working at DLJ?
2. To recruiters looking for summer associates, what were masters students considered?
3. Explain why this chapter was named The Merry-Go-Round.
4. Where do the summer associates work at the DLJ offices and who constantly communicates with them there?
5. How is the rest of a typical investment firm situated? Who comprises the upper sects of the company?
6. How long was training for each new class at DLJ and what did they learn?
7. Ih an investment banker or bank no longer has the inside scoop, what happens?
8. How do new, flourishing, or struggling businesses get capital to expand?
9. What did the social events, traveling, and horrible work hours do to Troob?
10. What causes multiple versions and edits of the pitch book to be made? Even hours before the presentation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following questions to write about:
1. What two themes are the most prevalent in the book? Discuss the themes and describe two specific situations in which the themes are present.
2. Compare and contrast Ed Star and Les Newton. How are the men alike and different? Why did many people wish to emulate these two men.
3. The theme of exhaustion is ever present during Rolfe and Troob's employment at DLJ. Explain how exhaustion cycles through the DLJ employees in the book.
Essay Topic 2
The SEC was created to offer regulation on the financial world.
1. Describe how investment banks conducted business prior to the stock market crash of the 1920s.
2. Detail how the SEC regulated banks from the 1920's to the early 2000s.
3. After reading this book and understanding the inner workings on investment banking, explain how you think the SEC should change regulations that could help the world out of its current economic recession.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Rolfe and Troob.
Consider the following about each characters personality:
- Work ethic
- Education background
- Personal life
- Views on business accountability
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)