|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In general, what are associates expected to do?
(a) Create lies for their companies.
(b) Generate a lot of factual information for the buying and selling of companies.
(c) Sit in on meetings and take notes.
(d) Be personal assistants for managing directors.
2. How did the two men console themselves after accepting the offer?
(a) They got to spend all the money the wanted.
(b) They will know their way around the company.
(c) Troob and Rolfe will have one another.
(d) A more senior position would be easier.
3. What do investment bankers work to secure for growing, flourishing businesses?
(a) Sub mortgages.
(b) New employees.
(c) Money and capital.
(d) Different, expanded office space.
4. In the grand scheme of things, an associate was just _________ in the larger financial picture.
(a) A piece of dust.
(d) The most important part of the job.
5. How did summer associates get full time jobs?
(a) They worked very hard.
(b) Did jobs in addition to investment banking.
(c) Ran errands for supervisors.
(d) By kissing a lot of butts of superiors.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to "Cadillac" schools, now investment banks seek graduates from _______.
2. According to the authors, what did the Wall Street Business machine do to new MBA graduates?
3. How much did they learn about investment banking?
4. How much did Rolfe know about investment banking, prior to starting as a summer associate?
5. This job in investment banking has no hopes for advancement. Employees are paid huge salaries but for two or three years live under harsh, abusive conditions until they can go back to school for their MBA degrees.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Troob become guilty after the holiday party? Why does Rolfe feel nervous about Troob's feelings?
2. How do the Rolfe and Troob's personal accounts of interviews and the recruiters personalities create a humorous mood?
3. Why is the summer in between an MBA program critical for many students?
4. What are do the first two sections of the prospectus comprised of?
5. How has investment banking changed from the Great Depression until the printing of the book?
6. In the Merry-Go-Round, what is a major part of developing a pitch book?
7. What two things happen when managing directors brokers a deal with an outside company?
8. To recruiters looking for summer associates, what were masters students considered?
9. Why was Rolfe scared of what he would become if he stayed with DLJ?
10. Unfortunately for associates, what takes priority over any other job they might have been assigned?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)