|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about each stage of Erikson's stages of identity development?
2. The ________ cannot coexist with the increase in advances in a technologically led culture?
3. According to Erikson, what is the third stage of development?
4. During the third stage of Erikson's theory of development, what may occur if an individual's initiatives or attempts at something continually fail?
5. What does it mean when the author states, "to review the concept of identity"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Erikson suggest that the development of trust or mistrust in the first age and identity development is the cornerstone of an individual's personality?
2. Considering Erikson's theory of identity development, how does the parent's tendency to remain stuck in adolescents affect youth's identity development?
3. What does Erikson mean by the term psychosocial moratorium?
4. Why does Erikson suggest that the second stage of identity development is a period of letting go?
5. Why did William James refer to psychology as morbid psychology?
6. What does Erikson suggest that historical periods usually offer a limited number of models in order to develop identity?
7. What is Erikson suggest that the Western sense of identity has been weakened?
8. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
9. What are some unique characteristics discussed at the beginning of Chapter 4 concerning George Bernard Shaw?
10. What is Erikson use personal communications by two prominent psychologists in his opening discussion of identity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role has psychology played throughout history in defining identity in developing theories of identity development? How are past theories concerning identity development still relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
In discussing the development of identity, Erikson briefly mentions the problem of early childhood development and the high presence of female teachers. Why is this situation problematic? What might teachers do to reduce problems in development during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Is Erikson's theory of identity development valid? Provide examples to support your answer.
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)