|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Concerning Erikson's theory, when identity development is negative, what type of personalities may occur during the second stage of development?
2. Considering Erikson's theory of groups identity development, what type of group demands does ego identity help balance?
3. According to Freud, what is the second stage of identity development called?
4. What term does Erikson use to describe the fluctuation of ego strength and high growth potential?
5. What do most new generations confront as a result of scientific and technological changes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might it be reasonable to think pathological and developmental aspects of identity?
2. When does Erikson state, concerning James and Shaw, that the adolescent process ended?
3. What are some unique characteristics discussed at the beginning of Chapter 4 concerning George Bernard Shaw?
4. What is Erikson suggest that the development of trust or mistrust in the first age and identity development is the cornerstone of an individual's personality?
5. What is Erikson state that he cannot accept Freud's notion that neurotic conflict is not different from normative conflict?
6. How do parents trigger transference in the formulation of evil ego identity as children move through Erikson's developmental stages?
7. What does Erikson feel is significant about the adolescent identity crisis?
8. What does Erikson suggests will happen if the youth do not grow up?
9. Considering group identity developing, in light of Erikson's stages of development, how do individuals make group decisions in order to ease the pressures of making difficult decisions?
10. Why does Erikson suggest that the second stage of identity development is a period of letting go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In discussing the development of identity, Erikson briefly mentions the problem of early childhood development and the high presence of female teachers. Why is this situation problematic? What might teachers do to reduce problems in development during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of using case history to develop a theory of identity. Is this method valid? Why or why not? What other methods could be used in developing valid theory of identity development?
Essay Topic 3
In his discussion of youth their identity development, Erikson references for virtue in terms of "inherent strength" and "active equality." What is the role of virtue in youth identity development? Discuss why virtue is a necessary component of this development.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)