|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. That does introjection mean in terms of Erikson's stages of identity development for groups other than the majority?
2. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what does personal identity focus on?
3. Since there were few empirical studies, how did Erikson's study individuals?
4. As discussed in Chapter 1, what first lead to the scientific mythology of the mind?
5. Why does Erikson state that ideologies have been given a bad name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a feeling of wholeness by the final stages of Erikson's identity development necessary in creating a positive identity?
2. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
3. What is the role of ideologies and identity development?
4. What does Erikson feel is significant about the adolescent identity crisis?
5. What is Erikson state that he cannot accept Freud's notion that neurotic conflict is not different from normative conflict?
6. Why did William James refer to psychology as morbid psychology?
7. What does Erikson suggest is immune to the failure of ego synthesis?
8. According to Erikson, why is early adolescents signified by feelings of initiative or guilt?
9. What are some unique characteristics discussed at the beginning of Chapter 4 concerning George Bernard Shaw?
10. According to Erikson's discussion in Chapter 4, how might a culture contribute to identity confusion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of using case history to develop a theory of identity. Is this method valid? Why or why not? What other methods could be used in developing valid theory of identity development?
Essay Topic 2
What role has psychology played throughout history in defining identity in developing theories of identity development? How are past theories concerning identity development still relevant today?
Essay Topic 3
This book was originally published in 1968, concerning Erikson's views on women, their position in the world, and identity development, are these you still relevant and practical in today's society? Provide support for your answer.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)