Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unique about each stage of Erikson's stages of identity development?
2. What is present within each period of Erikson's theory of identity development?
3. According to the discussion in Chapter 2, the process of the ego helps individuals maintain their personalities and what type of fashion?
4. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what does personal identity focus on?
5. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Erikson feel that the process of identity formation is the process of increasing differentiation?
2. What does Erikson mean when he refers to the adaptive ego?
3. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
4. Considering Erikson's theory of identity development, how does the parent's tendency to remain stuck in adolescents affect youth's identity development?
5. Why does Erikson suggest that the second stage of identity development is a period of letting go?
6. Why does Erikson's notion of identity resistance often occur and therapy?
7. Considering group identity developing, in light of Erikson's stages of development, how do individuals make group decisions in order to ease the pressures of making difficult decisions?
8. What are some unique characteristics discussed at the beginning of Chapter 4 concerning George Bernard Shaw?
9. Why does Erikson suggest that understanding identity requires understanding the development of identity?
10. What is unique about a revolution or awareness of identity as discussed by Erikson in chapter eight "Race and Wider Identity"?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 6, Erikson and presents a case in a judge and a "smart alecky" adolescent. Describe the possible identities of each player, the judge and adolescent, based on their actions and according to Erikson stereotype and the development.
Essay Topic 2
Erikson suggests that wholeness generates basic trust; however, the notion of a totalitarian state suggests indoctrination and control. Discuss how these two concepts wholeness and a totalitarian state coexist as means for the ultimate identity development. Use information from the book to support human characteristics that serve to allow a totalitarian as well as Erickson's notion that the totalitarian state is the state to end all states.
Essay Topic 3
The Erikson discusses that identity development of women. Outline the history of women's identity that has resulted in the current collective identity of women. Begin from that late 18th century and go to the present.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)