|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that Erikson states comes with each stage of identity development?
2. In order to create a positive ego what does Erikson state must be tested?
3. According to Freud, what is the second stage of identity development called?
4. During the fourth stage of Erikson's theory of development, what occurs when an individual is successful?
5. As noted in Chapter 2, how can false or inaccurate ego identity formations be corrected after being developed by parents in terms of group identity development?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do parents trigger transference in the formulation of evil ego identity as children move through Erikson's developmental stages?
2. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
3. How do social scientists attempt to narrow the term identity down?
4. Why does Erikson suggest that understanding identity requires understanding the development of identity?
5. According to Erikson, why is early adolescents signified by feelings of initiative or guilt?
6. Why did William James refer to psychology as morbid psychology?
7. What is Erikson suggest that the Western sense of identity has been weakened?
8. Considering group identity developing, in light of Erikson's stages of development, how do individuals make group decisions in order to ease the pressures of making difficult decisions?
9. What is the role of ideologies and identity development?
10. What does Erikson feel is significant about the adolescent identity crisis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erikson's discussion on the differences of identity between youth today and those of 20 years ago focuses on the fact that today's youth may suffer more identity crisis than those of the past. Provide evidence from the reading that support this theory. Based on the reading, what factors do you feel play a major role in today's youth being unable to effectively form a positive self identity? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the ego, the Id, the superego and environment are counterweights of each other and how they work together in identity formation. Include in your discussion the notion of "I" and what effect "I" has on these elements of identity.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of race identity development in America and provide an explanation of the current state of minority identity development.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)