|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As discussed in Chapter 1, what first lead to the scientific mythology of the mind?
2. What might gaining a stronger self identity correspond to in relation to the majority of the population?
3. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
4. According to Erikson in terms of active identity formation individual who now can say they know where they are going, what has occurred?
5. Why was Erikson so impressed with Shaw?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does introjection help the ego grow in Erikson's theory of identity development?
2. According to Erikson's discussion in Chapter 4, how might a culture contribute to identity confusion?
3. What does Erikson suggests will happen if the youth do not grow up?
4. What does Erikson mean by the term psychosocial moratorium?
5. How do social scientists attempt to narrow the term identity down?
6. Considering Erikson's theory of identity development, how does the parent's tendency to remain stuck in adolescents affect youth's identity development?
7. Considering group identity developing, in light of Erikson's stages of development, how do individuals make group decisions in order to ease the pressures of making difficult decisions?
8. Why does Erikson suggest that the second stage of identity development is a period of letting go?
9. What is Erikson use personal communications by two prominent psychologists in his opening discussion of identity?
10. According to Erikson, why is early adolescents signified by feelings of initiative or guilt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the prologue, Erikson discusses the story about an old man who vomits daily. What is the significance of this story in terms of this man's identity? How can the story be used to further define or explain identity of an individual or culture?
Essay Topic 2
Is Erikson's theory of identity development valid? Provide examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Erikson suggests that wholeness generates basic trust; however, the notion of a totalitarian state suggests indoctrination and control. Discuss how these two concepts wholeness and a totalitarian state coexist as means for the ultimate identity development. Use information from the book to support human characteristics that serve to allow a totalitarian as well as Erickson's notion that the totalitarian state is the state to end all states.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)