|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can reinforce the process of negative identity formation in terms of Erikson's stages of identity development?
2. What is one example that Erikson provides for the notion of "evil ego identity"?
3. The ________ cannot coexist with the increase in advances in a technologically led culture?
4. When does the normative crisis of identity formation occur?
5. What example does Erikson use in Foundations of Observation to clarify the disintegration of ego synthesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Erikson, why is early adolescents signified by feelings of initiative or guilt?
2. How do parents trigger transference in the formulation of evil ego identity as children move through Erikson's developmental stages?
3. How do social scientists attempt to narrow the term identity down?
4. Rather than suggesting modern youth pathological what does Erikson youth to understand?
5. What is Erikson state that is so difficult for black youth to find their identity?
6. Why does Erikson suggest that the second stage of identity development is a period of letting go?
7. Why does Erikson feel it is important to have a clear identity when one has numerous options for identity available?
8. Why does Erikson's notion of identity resistance often occur and therapy?
9. What does Erikson mean when he refers to the adaptive ego?
10. According to Erikson, why is preoccupation with identity the symptom of alienation?
Essay Topic 1
In his discussion of youth their identity development, Erikson references for virtue in terms of "inherent strength" and "active equality." What is the role of virtue in youth identity development? Discuss why virtue is a necessary component of this development.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Erikson suggest that true intimacy can only occur after positive identity formation? What does this theory suggest about intimacy as a whole? What is the counterpart of intimacy and how does this play into the concept of intimacy and identity formation?
Essay Topic 3
In discussing the development of identity, Erikson briefly mentions the problem of early childhood development and the high presence of female teachers. Why is this situation problematic? What might teachers do to reduce problems in development during this time?
This section contains 1,616 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)