|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Bernard Shaw despise?
2. What does it mean when the author states, "to review the concept of identity"?
3. In the early 20th century, totalitarian disposition is best understood as what?
4. In developing Erikson' theory of group identity, what two processes must the ego consist of that assist in defining both body in community membership?
5. When does the normative crisis of identity formation occur?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Erikson state that he cannot accept Freud's notion that neurotic conflict is not different from normative conflict?
2. According to Erikson's discussion in Chapter 4, how might a culture contribute to identity confusion?
3. What is Erikson suggest that the development of trust or mistrust in the first age and identity development is the cornerstone of an individual's personality?
4. Why might it be reasonable to think pathological and developmental aspects of identity?
5. What is Erikson suggest it is a good thing that the term crisis no longer means solely a bad event?
6. How does Erikson think acute identity confusion manifests?
7. According to Erikson, why is early adolescents signified by feelings of initiative or guilt?
8. What does Erikson suggest should our implicit scheme include in addition to growth?
9. What does Erikson suggest that historical periods usually offer a limited number of models in order to develop identity?
10. According to Erikson, why might it be petty to attempt to define "identity" or "identity crisis"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Freud's letter, he makes a comparison between positive identity and negative character traits. Why is this comparison significant? What does this suggest about identity? And do you think it applies today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the ego, the Id, the superego and environment are counterweights of each other and how they work together in identity formation. Include in your discussion the notion of "I" and what effect "I" has on these elements of identity.
Essay Topic 3
Is identity formation guaranteed with age? If yes, discuss the result of identity formation on the elderly? If no, discuss what is necessary for this process to occur?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)