|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Erikson use to describe the fluctuation of ego strength and high growth potential?
2. During the final stages of Erikson's stages of identity development, what type of feelings may individual experiencing stagnation feel?
3. What is present within each period of Erikson's theory of identity development?
4. In the early 20th century, totalitarian disposition is best understood as what?
5. What was Shaw exposed to as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Considering Erikson's theory of identity development, how does the parent's tendency to remain stuck in adolescents affect youth's identity development?
2. According to Erikson's discussion in Chapter 4, how might a culture contribute to identity confusion?
3. What does Erikson suggests will happen if the youth do not grow up?
4. What is Erikson suggest that the Western sense of identity has been weakened?
5. Considering group identity developing, in light of Erikson's stages of development, how do individuals make group decisions in order to ease the pressures of making difficult decisions?
6. What is Erikson suggest it is a good thing that the term crisis no longer means solely a bad event?
7. What is Erikson feel that the process of identity formation is the process of increasing differentiation?
8. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
9. How does Erikson use child training to describe group identity formation?
10. What does Erikson suggest should our implicit scheme include in addition to growth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of using case history to develop a theory of identity. Is this method valid? Why or why not? What other methods could be used in developing valid theory of identity development?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the ego, the Id, the superego and environment are counterweights of each other and how they work together in identity formation. Include in your discussion the notion of "I" and what effect "I" has on these elements of identity.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of race identity development in America and provide an explanation of the current state of minority identity development.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)