|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What example does Erikson use in Foundations of Observation to clarify the disintegration of ego synthesis?
2. In discussing Freud's views on group identity, what does Erikson state is a major cause in identity becoming frustrating and disintegrated?
3. The ________ cannot coexist with the increase in advances in a technologically led culture?
4. When does Erikson feel individuals develop trust?
5. What does George Bernard Shaw despise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did William James refer to psychology as morbid psychology?
2. When does Erikson state, concerning James and Shaw, that the adolescent process ended?
3. What are some unique characteristics discussed at the beginning of Chapter 4 concerning George Bernard Shaw?
4. According to Erikson's discussion in Chapter 4, how might a culture contribute to identity confusion?
5. Considering group identity developing, in light of Erikson's stages of development, how do individuals make group decisions in order to ease the pressures of making difficult decisions?
6. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
7. What is Erikson state that he cannot accept Freud's notion that neurotic conflict is not different from normative conflict?
8. What does Erikson feel is significant about the adolescent identity crisis?
9. How does Erikson think acute identity confusion manifests?
10. According to Erikson, why might it be petty to attempt to define "identity" or "identity crisis"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Erikson suggests that wholeness generates basic trust; however, the notion of a totalitarian state suggests indoctrination and control. Discuss how these two concepts wholeness and a totalitarian state coexist as means for the ultimate identity development. Use information from the book to support human characteristics that serve to allow a totalitarian as well as Erickson's notion that the totalitarian state is the state to end all states.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Erikson and presents a case in a judge and a "smart alecky" adolescent. Describe the possible identities of each player, the judge and adolescent, based on their actions and according to Erikson stereotype and the development.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the ego, the Id, the superego and environment are counterweights of each other and how they work together in identity formation. Include in your discussion the notion of "I" and what effect "I" has on these elements of identity.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)