|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can reinforce the process of negative identity formation in terms of Erikson's stages of identity development?
2. Why does Erikson warn the reader not to expect any solid development of mythology in terms of integrating the work on identity over the past two decades?
3. What is the definition of "identity" subject to?
4. How does Erikson suggest men were able to end the adolescent process?
5. Concerning Erikson's theory, when identity development is negative, what type of personalities may occur during the second stage of development?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between the Ego and "I"?
2. The why does Erikson feel that anatomy is destiny?
3. What does Erikson suggests will happen if the youth do not grow up?
4. Why did William James refer to psychology as morbid psychology?
5. What does Erikson mean when he refers to the adaptive ego?
6. What is Erikson suggest that the Western sense of identity has been weakened?
7. According to Erikson what is necessary for a woman to form her identity?
8. What does Erikson mean by the term psychosocial moratorium?
9. What does Erikson feel is significant about the adolescent identity crisis?
10. What does Erikson suggest is immune to the failure of ego synthesis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Erikson suggests that there are a number of economic and practical reasons to focus on women's position in the world. Discuss what these economic and practical reasons may be and how they affect the position of women in today's world
Essay Topic 2
Erikson discusses his stages of development and intermingles Freud's stages of development throughout this discussion. Compare and contrast these two psychologists stages of development and provide an explanation on which you think is more valid today. Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What role has psychology played throughout history in defining identity in developing theories of identity development? How are past theories concerning identity development still relevant today?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)