|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In observing groups of people being reeducated by American civil servants, what reason does Erikson provide for why this group became frustrated and identity development?
2. During the final stages of Erikson's stages of identity development, what type of feelings may individual experiencing stagnation feel?
3. What aspects of Freud's theory of development does a functional ego integrate?
4. In discussing Freud's views on group identity, what does Erikson state is a major cause in identity becoming frustrating and disintegrated?
5. What can reinforce the process of negative identity formation in terms of Erikson's stages of identity development?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might it be reasonable to think pathological and developmental aspects of identity?
2. Why does Erikson suggest that understanding identity requires understanding the development of identity?
3. What does Erikson suggests will happen if the youth do not grow up?
4. What does Erikson suggest that historical periods usually offer a limited number of models in order to develop identity?
5. When does Erikson state, concerning James and Shaw, that the adolescent process ended?
6. According to Erikson, why is early adolescents signified by feelings of initiative or guilt?
7. How do parents trigger transference in the formulation of evil ego identity as children move through Erikson's developmental stages?
8. What does Erikson suggest is immune to the failure of ego synthesis?
9. Considering Erikson's theory of identity development, how does the parent's tendency to remain stuck in adolescents affect youth's identity development?
10. According to Erikson, why might it be petty to attempt to define "identity" or "identity crisis"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of using case history to develop a theory of identity. Is this method valid? Why or why not? What other methods could be used in developing valid theory of identity development?
Essay Topic 2
Erikson discusses his stages of development and intermingles Freud's stages of development throughout this discussion. Compare and contrast these two psychologists stages of development and provide an explanation on which you think is more valid today. Use the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Is Erikson's theory of identity development valid? Provide examples to support your answer.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)