|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erikson state is the first age of identity development involve in terms of conflict?
2. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what does personal identity focus on?
3. What term does Erikson use to mean the factor that serves to integrate a person toward a common societal goal?
4. In Chapter 2, Foundations and Observation, during his discussion on group identity, what group of people does Erikson observe group changes to make his point?
5. In developing Erikson' theory of group identity, what two processes must the ego consist of that assist in defining both body in community membership?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might it be reasonable to think pathological and developmental aspects of identity?
2. According to Erikson's discussion in Chapter 4, how might a culture contribute to identity confusion?
3. What is the role of ideologies and identity development?
4. What is Erikson suggest that the development of trust or mistrust in the first age and identity development is the cornerstone of an individual's personality?
5. Why does Erikson suggest that understanding identity requires understanding the development of identity?
6. Why did William James refer to psychology as morbid psychology?
7. How do social scientists attempt to narrow the term identity down?
8. What is Erikson suggest that the Western sense of identity has been weakened?
9. What is Erikson feel that the process of identity formation is the process of increasing differentiation?
10. Considering Erikson's theory of identity development, how does the parent's tendency to remain stuck in adolescents affect youth's identity development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is identity formation guaranteed with age? If yes, discuss the result of identity formation on the elderly? If no, discuss what is necessary for this process to occur?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 6, Erikson and presents a case in a judge and a "smart alecky" adolescent. Describe the possible identities of each player, the judge and adolescent, based on their actions and according to Erikson stereotype and the development.
Essay Topic 3
In the prologue, Erikson discusses the story about an old man who vomits daily. What is the significance of this story in terms of this man's identity? How can the story be used to further define or explain identity of an individual or culture?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)