|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the fourth stage of Erikson's theory of development, what occurs when an individual is successful?
(a) Feelings of superiority.
(b) Feelings of industry.
(c) Feelings of independence.
(d) Feelings of guilt.
2. Since there were few empirical studies, how did Erikson's study individuals?
(b) Through case study.
3. What aspects of Freud's theory of development does a functional ego integrate?
(a) Psychosocial and psychosexual.
(b) Biological and psychosexual.
(c) Psychosocial and biological.
(d) Social and environmental.
4. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what occurs when the ego combines elements that result in an inability to form a positive self-image?
(b) Negative identity formation.
(c) No identity formation.
(d) Ego synthesis fails.
5. According to the discussion in Chapter 2, the process of the ego helps individuals maintain their personalities and what type of fashion?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Erikson so impressed with Shaw?
2. What is one thing that Erikson states comes with each stage of identity development?
3. What does Shaw find his childhood exposures to have been?
4. In observing groups of people being reeducated by American civil servants, what reason does Erikson provide for why this group became frustrated and identity development?
5. During the Erikson's second stage of development, what does the individual gain when identity has developed in a healthy manner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Erikson suggests will happen if the youth do not grow up?
2. How do parents trigger transference in the formulation of evil ego identity as children move through Erikson's developmental stages?
3. According to Erikson, what is our earliest undifferentiated sense of identity?
4. How does introjection help the ego grow in Erikson's theory of identity development?
5. What does Erikson mean by the term psychosocial moratorium?
6. What is Erikson state that he cannot accept Freud's notion that neurotic conflict is not different from normative conflict?
7. What are some unique characteristics discussed at the beginning of Chapter 4 concerning George Bernard Shaw?
8. What is Erikson feel that the process of identity formation is the process of increasing differentiation?
9. What does Erikson suggest is immune to the failure of ego synthesis?
10. What does Erikson suggest should our implicit scheme include in addition to growth?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)