|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Erikson suggest might save blacks from having to integrate their identities based on their own decision to do so?
(d) Public policy.
2. What do the elements of the self produce in light of Erikson's theory of identity development?
(a) A composite of society.
(b) An understanding.
(c) A potential identity.
(d) A composite of self.
3. How does feminists often react during times of identity development and social change, as proposed in Erikson's theory?
(c) Revert to old ways.
(d) With indifference.
4. What arises from achieving a sense of identity or a revolution of awareness as proposed in Erikson's theory of racial identity development?
(a) Final identity.
(b) Racial liberation.
5. What does Erikson feel about psychoanalysts' use of biology?
(a) Shallow and inaccurate.
(b) It is innovative.
(c) It has not place in the study of identity.
(d) It is important to the study of identity.
6. According to Erikson, by meeting the youth's needs what occurs in terms of the historical context?
(a) It is passed on to the next generation of youth.
(c) It is forgotten.
(d) Youth are integrated in it.
7. Based on Freud's theory of identity, Ego identity results in two actions, one of which is synthesizing the frontiers of the ego; what is the other action?
(a) Merging self with the past.
(b) Completing identity.
(c) Analyzing the frontiers of the ego.
(d) Merging self with the environment.
8. Based on Erikson's studies, what directly influences the egos process of self integration?
(d) Historical reality and context.
9. What according to Erikson, what involves testing, selecting, and integrating self images?
(a) Ego identity.
(d) Community structures.
10. What does Erikson say must not happen with strong black mothers?
(a) They must not be negatively stereotyped.
(b) They must not be positively stereotyped.
(c) They must continue their struggles.
(d) They must not be so overbearing.
11. What dose Erikson say psychoanalysts' fail to recognize about the ego?
(a) It depends on the individual.
(b) It cannot exist without human social organization.
(c) It can exist without human social organization.
(d) It is based solely on environment.
12. Why does Erikson think the black identity has been confused?
(a) Many do not fully understand identity.
(b) Negativity of black writers.
(c) Lack of study of this population.
(d) Historical events.
13. What often occurs when youth are isolated according to Erikson's theory of identity development?
(a) They yearn for love and become a joiner.
(b) They develop self actualized identities.
(c) They develop aggressive identities.
(d) They remain isolated.
14. What term does Erikson use for a biological life cycle?
15. Why does Erikson suggest women are more passive than men?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erikson state is difficult for black mothers in terms of their children?
2. In terms of Erikson's theory of identity development, what is one notion that youth resist?
3. What do youth recognize the need for during Erikson's stages of identity development?
4. What does Erikson suggest has led to the focus on women's position in the world?
5. The oppression of blacks, according to Erikson has done what to the mother-father presence?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)