Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unique about each stage of Erikson's stages of identity development?
(a) They are concrete.
(c) They are flexible.
(d) The build on one another.
2. What is present within each period of Erikson's theory of identity development?
(a) Distinct processes.
(b) Social conflict.
(c) Inner and outer conflict.
(d) Identity confusion.
3. According to the discussion in Chapter 2, the process of the ego helps individuals maintain their personalities and what type of fashion?
4. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what does personal identity focus on?
(a) Place in society.
(b) Feelings of others.
(c) Conscious feelings.
(d) Unconscious feelings.
5. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
6. Concerning Erikson's theory, when identity development is negative, what type of personalities may occur during the second stage of development?
(d) Maladaptive behaviors.
7. What was William James obsessed with his entire life?
(b) Social dysfunction.
(d) Morbid psychology.
8. According to Erikson, in his review and observations of changes in culture, what does he suggest will become common values among today's youth?
(b) Choice and identity.
(d) Common identity.
9. According to Freud, what is the third stage of development called?
(a) Oral stage.
(b) Anal stage.
(c) The phallic stage.
(d) Latent stage.
10. What are two characteristics Erikson applies to the task of the ego in order to maintain and organize its existence?
(a) Demanding and authoritative.
(b) Straightforward and never-ending.
(c) Ceaseless and essential.
(d) Weak and meaningless.
11. According to Freud, what is the first stage of identity development called?
(a) Latent stage.
(b) Oral stage.
(c) Phallic stage.
(d) Anal stage.
12. What does Freud's consciousness of inner identity include?
(a) Bitter pride.
13. According to Erikson, how long does it take for identity to develop?
(a) A lifetime.
(b) Identity if formed at birth.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 5 years.
14. What does Erikson state that childhood and youth predispose men to?
(a) Confused identities.
(d) Childlike wonder.
15. During the fourth stage of Erikson's theory of development, what occurs when an individual is successful?
(a) Feelings of industry.
(b) Feelings of superiority.
(c) Feelings of independence.
(d) Feelings of guilt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does George Bernard Shaw despise?
2. In observing groups of people being reeducated by American civil servants, what reason does Erikson provide for why this group became frustrated and identity development?
3. What must occur for an individual to move from one stage of development to the next in Erikson's theory of development?
4. As discussed by Erikson in Chapter 2, what occurs when a system either biological or social malfunctions?
5. What does it mean when the author states, "to review the concept of identity"?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)