|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During Erikson's final stage of development, individuals having a sense of Generativity may engage in what type of activities?
(a) Finding a new job.
(b) Planing for the future.
(c) Leading future generations to succeed.
2. According to Freud, what is the first stage of identity development called?
(a) Phallic stage.
(b) Oral stage.
(c) Latent stage.
(d) Anal stage.
3. Why was Erikson so impressed with Shaw?
(a) He did not care what others thought.
(b) He developed a good theory of development.
(c) He could integrate the complex elements of life.
(d) He was very intelligent.
4. What may be gained as an individual enters Erikson's final stage of development when their overall development has been positive and healthy?
5. What does Erikson suggest society's child training systems does for the uniqueness of society?
(a) Preserve it.
(b) Provide meaning.
(c) Strengthen it.
(d) Increase standard of living.
6. Considering Erikson's theory of groups identity development, what type of group demands does ego identity help balance?
(b) Members passions and instincts.
(c) Leadership conflicts.
(d) Negative identities.
7. What does Erikson feel happens when a healthy personality deals with conflict?
(a) They actively master the situation.
(b) They lose their identity.
(c) Their identity becomes confused.
8. What is the definition of "identity" subject to?
(a) The researcher.
(b) The individual.
(c) The future.
(d) Changes in history.
9. In order to create a positive ego what does Erikson state must be tested?
(a) Mental acuity.
(b) Current reality against identity.
(c) Current intelligence and identity.
(d) Ability for introspection.
10. Where does the process of identity formation began?
(a) As an adolescent.
(b) With mother and baby.
(c) As a toddler.
(d) As a young adult.
11. At what stage in Erikson's theory of development may an individual begin to lose confidence or identity and enter period of listlessness?
(a) Autonomy vs. shame.
(b) Intimacy vs. isolation.
(c) Industry vs. inferiority.
(d) Generativity vs. stagnation.
12. During the fourth stage of Erikson's theory of development, what occurs when an individual is successful?
(a) Feelings of independence.
(b) Feelings of guilt.
(c) Feelings of superiority.
(d) Feelings of industry.
13. In the beginning of the 20th century, what demonstrated the possibility to destroy human kind?
(b) Negative identity formation.
14. What must occur for an individual to move from one stage of development to the next in Erikson's theory of development?
(a) He must be invited.
(b) It is a natural process.
(c) He must feel safe.
(d) He must mast the previous stage.
15. As discussed in Chapter 1, what first lead to the scientific mythology of the mind?
(a) Understanding of neurons.
(b) Interest in technology.
(c) The newness of man's self awareness.
(d) The mentally ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspects of Freud's theory of development does a functional ego integrate?
2. When does the normative crisis of identity formation occur?
3. During the process of Erikson's stages of identity development, what will depend on the total process of identity development?
4. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
5. During the third stage of Erikson's theory of development, what may occur if an individual's initiatives or attempts at something continually fail?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)