|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Freud, what is the first stage of identity development called?
(a) Anal stage.
(b) Latent stage.
(c) Oral stage.
(d) Phallic stage.
2. During Erikson's final stage of development, individuals having a sense of Generativity may engage in what type of activities?
(a) Leading future generations to succeed.
(b) Finding a new job.
(c) Planing for the future.
3. What does William James state is discernible in mental or moral attitudes?
4. What is one thing that Erikson states comes with each stage of identity development?
(a) An emotional separation.
(b) Closing off of society.
(c) A widening social radius.
(d) Understanding of self.
5. In Chapter 2, Foundations and Observation, during his discussion on group identity, what group of people does Erikson observe group changes to make his point?
(a) The Sioux Indians.
(c) The Aztec Indians.
(d) Middle class Whites.
6. What does Erikson state that childhood and youth predispose men to?
(c) Childlike wonder.
(d) Confused identities.
7. What aspects of Freud's theory of development does a functional ego integrate?
(a) Biological and psychosexual.
(b) Social and environmental.
(c) Psychosocial and psychosexual.
(d) Psychosocial and biological.
8. What does Erikson feel happens when a healthy personality deals with conflict?
(b) Their identity becomes confused.
(c) They actively master the situation.
(d) They lose their identity.
9. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
10. What does the success of identification during Erikson's stages of development depend on?
(a) Interacting with trustworthy models.
(c) It is society specific.
(d) Parental support.
11. After James' long identity crisis, what did he decide to be?
(c) Dependant on society.
(d) A psychologist.
12. Since there were few empirical studies, how did Erikson's study individuals?
(b) Through case study.
13. What did Shaw care so much about being?
14. In the early 20th century, totalitarian disposition is best understood as what?
(a) Community needs.
(b) The self as separate from others.
(c) It was not understood at all.
(d) A universal human related to all parts of human nature.
15. According to Freud, what is the third stage of development called?
(a) Latent stage.
(b) Anal stage.
(c) The phallic stage.
(d) Oral stage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term does Erikson use to describe the fluctuation of ego strength and high growth potential?
2. What do most new generations confront as a result of scientific and technological changes?
3. What does Erikson state is the first age of identity development involve in terms of conflict?
4. Because the terms "identity" and "identity crisis" are used in such a variety of situations, what have these terms become?
5. The ________ cannot coexist with the increase in advances in a technologically led culture?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)