|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, The Life Cycle, Epigenesis of Identity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does William James state is discernible in mental or moral attitudes?
2. According to Erikson, what is the third stage of development?
(a) Intimacy vs. isolation.
(b) Initiative vs. guilt.
(c) Autonomy vs. shame.
(d) Trust vs. mistrust.
3. According to Erikson in Chapter 2, what occurs when the ego combines elements that result in an inability to form a positive self-image?
(a) Negative identity formation.
(b) No identity formation.
(c) Ego synthesis fails.
4. According to the discussion in Chapter 2, the process of the ego helps individuals maintain their personalities and what type of fashion?
5. What style of identity combines medieval conception of community with modern disobedience and nonviolence?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Erikson suggest wholeness of the individual is associated with?
2. What are two characteristics Erikson applies to the task of the ego in order to maintain and organize its existence?
3. According to Freud, what is the second stage of identity development called?
4. During Erikson's final stage of development, individuals having a sense of Generativity may engage in what type of activities?
5. What term does Erikson use to refer to the methods used throughout history to integrate identity?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)