|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kyle Dunbar?
2. What is Sedaris's elf name?
3. Lisa agrees to give Sedaris unlimited use of her ________ to get him to go somewhere with her on birthday.
4. Sedaris hopes to end every episode of "Socrates and Company" with what?
5. What is Sedaris's reaction to seeing the SantaLand ad?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sedaris find annoying about his co-workers at SantaLand?
2. What is David's opinion of his sister Lisa?
3. What is the decor of the Piccadilly Cafeteria like?
4. What are some of the experiences Sedaris has with the adults who visit SantaLand?
5. What does the middle-aged Sedaris dream of doing?
6. What is Jocelyn Dunbar's youngest son like?
7. What does Sedaris have to go through to be hired at SantaLand?
8. Where do David and Lisa Sedaris get jobs at their father's urging to gain after school employment?
9. What is the one bright spot in Jocelyn Dunbar's Christmas newsletter?
10. What happens when Lisa drags David to a house in a poor neighborhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What qualities does Jocelyn Dunbar embody both as a character and as a narrator of the story? What makes her a reliable or unreliable narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of appearance versus reality as it is illustrated in various stories in the collection.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between the flat and round characters in "Holidays on Ice." Were any characters truly fully developed? Why or why not?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)