|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Sedaris is "SantaLand Diaries"?
2. What is Sedaris's favorite job at SantaLand?
3. Where is baby Don found dead in the house?
4. What is the legal name of Jackelyn Dunbar's baby?
5. Who drew Sedaris' name for family gift giving in "Dinah, the Christmas Whore"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jocelyn Dunbar's complaints about Khe Sahn?
2. Why does David try to draw epiphanies from the released convicts he works with at the cafeteria?
3. What are some of the experiences Sedaris has with the adults who visit SantaLand?
4. What is the premise of "Season's Greetings to Our Friends and Family!!!"?
5. What is the decor of the Piccadilly Cafeteria like?
6. How does Jocelyn Dunbar treat Khe Sahn?
7. What does Joceyln Dunbar have to say about her neighbor Cherise Clarmont-Shea?
8. What does Sedaris come to realize as increasing numbers of customers go through the line at Piccadilly cafeteria?
9. Why does David decide to boycott Christmas while working at the cafeteria?
10. What is David's opinion of his sister Lisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Thaddeus Bristol and what he represents in society.
Essay Topic 2
What do these stories reveal about the importance of social status in American middle-class culture?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the of the individual versus society and how it resonates throughout the stories in "Holidays on Ice."
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)