|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sedaris hopes to gain wisdom from the _______ that work at the cafeteria with him.
2. What does Sedaris feel for the shoppers who come to eat at the cafeteria where he works?
3. Which is Sedaris's least favorite job at SantaLand?
4. Where is Khe Sahn from?
5. In "Socrates and Company," Sedaris would travel the world with a _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the SantaLand training for elves include?
2. Why does David decide to boycott Christmas while working at the cafeteria?
3. What is the one bright spot in Jocelyn Dunbar's Christmas newsletter?
4. What does Sedaris come to realize as increasing numbers of customers go through the line at Piccadilly cafeteria?
5. What are Jocelyn Dunbar's complaints about Khe Sahn?
6. Where do David and Lisa Sedaris get jobs at their father's urging to gain after school employment?
7. Why is Jocelyn Dunbar being accused of baby Don's murder?
8. What does David think about while he washes dishes at the cafeteria?
9. What is Jocelyn Dunbar's youngest son like?
10. What happens when Lisa and David take Dinah home with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the nature of David's relationship with his sister Lisa? What purpose does her character serve in the story "Dinah, the Christmas Whore"?
Essay Topic 2
What is the purpose of the character Dinah? What is the greater truth that she helps illustrate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the of the individual versus society and how it resonates throughout the stories in "Holidays on Ice."
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)