|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the article that put Batali on the map about?
2. Who was the expediter at Babbo Restaurant?
3. Who wrote the book Bill found about a 15th century cook?
4. What large cities was the city Batali studied cooking between?
5. In what Italian city did Batali study cooking according to Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bill discover about most kitchens?
2. What was Bil's first introduction to kitchen politics in Chapter 3?
3. What did Batali need to learn?
4. What promotion did Bill receive in Chapter 9, and what did the position entail?
5. What did not work well in Chapter 6?
6. Where did Bill make his first batch of polenta?
7. Where did Batali arrive in Chapter 4?
8. What did Bill learn to cook in Chapter 8 and what happened after he mastered the dish?
9. What does Bill learn about clams despite not liking them?
10. Where was Batali offered his own kitchen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that the organizational system (brigade system) of a kitchen makes successful chefs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities and differences of Bill and Batali, including how they are perceived by others in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that the reason Batali gave for not completing cooking school were valid? Can his reasoning apply to other professions?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)