|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Batali do to Dominic when Dominic bumped into him?
2. Where did Batali move to learn to cook under a matron?
3. What magazine was Bill Buford a staff writer for, according to Chapter 1?
4. What was Batali never able to find on TV?
5. Why did the meals that Batali cooked on TV never turn out quite the same as in his restaurant according to Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job did Batali turn down and why?
2. What did Bill regret?
3. What did Bill eventually find?
4. What did the Maestro do when Bill said his goodbyes?
5. In Chapter 23, what was Bill finally allowed to help prepare?
6. Why did Bill become focused on early recipes verses late recipes?
7. What did Maestro explain to Bill about the chianina?
8. What did Bill and his wife become tired of?
9. What was Caso Mono and why were some concerned according to Chapter 17?
10. Why did Bill arrive ten days earlier than Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that the reason Batali gave for not completing cooking school were valid? Can his reasoning apply to other professions?
Essay Topic 2
Kitchen politics is an important part of why Bill desired to move on from the Babbo's kitchen. Do you think, based on Bill's writing, that the kitchen is like a military structure or more like an organized chaos.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Italian restaurants would be wise to use "slaves" to fill positions in their kitchens? What other methods could Italian restaurants use to teach their craft?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)