|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What restaurant did Batali study in?
2. Who looked over Bill's shoulder when he first made polenta?
3. What handicap did Marco Pierre White have?
4. What restaurant did Batali open in 1992?
5. What book did Bill find out about a 15th century cook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promotion did Bill receive in Chapter 9, and what did the position entail?
2. Where was Batali offered his own kitchen?
3. What did Bill become in Chapter 1, and what did it teach Bill?
4. Why was the restaurant called Otto doomed to fail, according to Chapter 15?
5. How famous was Batali at the time he and Bill met?
6. What did Bill regret?
7. Who did Bill spend time according to Chapter 10, and what did Bill find?
8. Who was making life in the kitchen difficult?
9. What did Bill learn to cook in Chapter 8 and what happened after he mastered the dish?
10. What job did Batali turn down and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how criticism among employees and changes in the kitchen affect the staff and quality of a restaurant.
Essay Topic 2
Common thought is that women seldom make it in the restaurant industry. Based on Buford's book, do you think that this statement is true? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The star system is the most preponderant way people rate restaurant. News paper and dedicated publications like the "New York Times" or the Michelin Guide provide ratings but websites also do. Which rating system would you trust the most when choosing a restaurant?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)