|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the meals that Batali cooked on TV never turn out quite the same as in his restaurant according to Bill?
2. Who looked over Bill's shoulder when he first made polenta?
3. What stuffed fish did Bill have trouble with at the grill?
4. Where was the restaurant Batali turned down?
5. Who was the pasta guy at Babbo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Batali need to learn?
2. Where did Bill visit in Chapter 11?
3. What is considered the most basic sauce and how is it made?
4. What did Bill learn about polenta in Chapter 14?
5. What made Bill feel like a part of the kitchen staff?
6. Where did Bill make his first batch of polenta?
7. Why was Andy (the expediter) becoming anxious?
8. Who was Jonathan Lynne according to Chapter 13?
9. What promotion did Bill receive in Chapter 9, and what did the position entail?
10. What did Bill discover about most kitchens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship Buford had with Betta with the relationship Batali had with Betta.
Essay Topic 2
Common thought is that women seldom make it in the restaurant industry. Based on Buford's book, do you think that this statement is true? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The star system is the most preponderant way people rate restaurant. News paper and dedicated publications like the "New York Times" or the Michelin Guide provide ratings but websites also do. Which rating system would you trust the most when choosing a restaurant?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)