|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the article about Batali attract the attention of according to Bill?
2. What does Batali say Ragu is?
3. What large cities was the city Batali studied cooking between?
4. Who ran the restaurant Bill ate at in Chapter 10?
5. What restaurant did Batali open after joining The Food Network?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bill learn to cook in Chapter 8 and what happened after he mastered the dish?
2. Where did Batali move in California, and what did he do?
3. What did Bill become in Chapter 1, and what did it teach Bill?
4. Where did Bill make his first batch of polenta?
5. What station did Bill want to work in Chapter 12?
6. Who did Bill Buford invite to dinner in "Dinner with Mario"?
7. What did the workers at Babbo's always need to assume?
8. What made Bill feel like a part of the kitchen staff?
9. What was Bil's first introduction to kitchen politics in Chapter 3?
10. What did not work well in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Batali opened a pizzeria that had a lot of success despite having "inedible" pizzas. Do you think cuisine is losing the fight of good taste against processed food and that people have lower standards for what is good?
Essay Topic 2
The star system is the most preponderant way people rate restaurant. News paper and dedicated publications like the "New York Times" or the Michelin Guide provide ratings but websites also do. Which rating system would you trust the most when choosing a restaurant?
Essay Topic 3
Bill read a lot of cook books, some several hundred years old and also was taught family recipes that were transferred verbally. Do you think written recipes prevent cooking for evolving or do you think written recipes are worth the trade by promulgating cooking to the masses?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)