|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Batali initially refuse to transfer Bill to the station he begged for?
2. Why would Bill never have the chance to work with Marco Pierre White?
3. What game did Bill take Batali to after dinner?
4. What magazine was Bill Buford a staff writer for, according to Chapter 1?
5. What station did Bill say he had to take over in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is considered the most basic sauce and how is it made?
2. What did Batali need to learn?
3. What did not work well in Chapter 6?
4. Who did Bill Buford invite to dinner in "Dinner with Mario"?
5. What did Bill realize once he started to work at Babbo's?
6. How was the Babbo kitchen like two different kitchens according to Chapter 5?
7. Who is Bill Buford?
8. Where was Batali offered his own kitchen?
9. Where did Batali arrive in Chapter 4?
10. What does Bill learn about clams despite not liking them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think that the reason Batali gave for not completing cooking school were valid? Can his reasoning apply to other professions?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think that Bill used his book on Batali as an excuse to try and work in a professional kitchen? Was becoming a cook necessary for the book to be written? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think that Italian restaurants would be wise to use "slaves" to fill positions in their kitchens? What other methods could Italian restaurants use to teach their craft?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)