|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is polenta made of?
2. Why did Bill meet with Marco Pierre White?
3. Where did Batali move to learn to cook under a matron?
4. What newspaper put Mario Batali on the map according to Bill?
5. What game did Bill take Batali to after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Batali need to learn?
2. How famous was Batali at the time he and Bill met?
3. What book did Bill find when he was researching authentic Italian cooking?
4. What does Bill learn about clams despite not liking them?
5. What made Bill feel like a part of the kitchen staff?
6. Where did Batali move in California, and what did he do?
7. Where did Bill make his first batch of polenta?
8. Where did Batali arrive in Chapter 4?
9. What did Bill learn to cook in Chapter 8 and what happened after he mastered the dish?
10. What job did Batali turn down and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship Buford had with Batali with the relationship Buford had with Dario.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how criticism among employees and changes in the kitchen affect the staff and quality of a restaurant.
Essay Topic 3
Kitchen politics is an important part of why Bill desired to move on from the Babbo's kitchen. Do you think, based on Bill's writing, that the kitchen is like a military structure or more like an organized chaos.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)