|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who looked over Bill's shoulder when he first made polenta?
2. Who did Batali study under in Italy?
3. Who was doing the menial work in Babbo's kitchen?
4. When did Bill first made polenta?
5. What did Batali do before working at the Four Seasons hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Bill feel like a part of the kitchen staff?
2. What job did Batali turn down and why?
3. Where did Bill make his first batch of polenta?
4. Why was Andy (the expediter) becoming anxious?
5. Who did Bill Buford invite to dinner in "Dinner with Mario"?
6. What did Bill learn to cook in Chapter 8 and what happened after he mastered the dish?
7. What did Bill realize once he started to work at Babbo's?
8. What did not work well in Chapter 6?
9. What did Bill learn about polenta in Chapter 14?
10. What did Bill become in Chapter 1, and what did it teach Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the relationship Buford had with Betta with the relationship Batali had with Betta.
Essay Topic 2
Bill read a lot of cook books, some several hundred years old and also was taught family recipes that were transferred verbally. Do you think written recipes prevent cooking for evolving or do you think written recipes are worth the trade by promulgating cooking to the masses?
Essay Topic 3
Dario and Giovanni had bad blood between them after Giovanni decide to prevent his sister from dating Dario's son. Bill says in the book that most of society dismissed such a "caste" system. Do you think it to be true in the U.S. society?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)