|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the restaurant Batali studied at fail?
2. When did Batali move to California according to Chapter 2?
3. What did the chef Batali studied under in Italy refuse to teach him?
4. Where did Batali consider buying a vineyard when he first met Bill?
5. What did Bill discover about Batali while at the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Batali arrive in Chapter 4?
2. Who was Jonathan Lynne according to Chapter 13?
3. Where did Bill make his first batch of polenta?
4. How famous was Batali at the time he and Bill met?
5. Where did Bill visit in Chapter 11?
6. Who is Bill Buford?
7. What did Batali need to learn?
8. What did Bill learn about polenta in Chapter 14?
9. What does Bill learn about clams despite not liking them?
10. How was the Babbo kitchen like two different kitchens according to Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The star system is the most preponderant way people rate restaurant. News paper and dedicated publications like the "New York Times" or the Michelin Guide provide ratings but websites also do. Which rating system would you trust the most when choosing a restaurant?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the similarities and differences of Bill and Batali, including how they are perceived by others in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Kitchen politics is an important part of why Bill desired to move on from the Babbo's kitchen. Do you think, based on Bill's writing, that the kitchen is like a military structure or more like an organized chaos.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)