|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Batali open a restaurant with in 1992?
2. How many restaurants did Batali own when he met Bill?
3. Who did Batali open a pizzeria with according to Chapter 15?
4. What did Batali insist would be served at the pizzeria despite concern that it was not good?
5. What handicap did Marco Pierre White have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job did Batali turn down and why?
2. What is considered the most basic sauce and how is it made?
3. Who came to work at Babbo's in Chapter 7?
4. What station did Bill want to work in Chapter 12?
5. What does Bill learn about clams despite not liking them?
6. What was Bil's first introduction to kitchen politics in Chapter 3?
7. How famous was Batali at the time he and Bill met?
8. What did not work well in Chapter 6?
9. Where did Batali move in California, and what did he do?
10. What made Bill feel like a part of the kitchen staff?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Batali opened a pizzeria that had a lot of success despite having "inedible" pizzas. Do you think cuisine is losing the fight of good taste against processed food and that people have lower standards for what is good?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Buford's reasons for wanting to work in the Babbo kitchen, and determine why he chose not to open a restaurant.
Essay Topic 3
Bill read a lot of cook books, some several hundred years old and also was taught family recipes that were transferred verbally. Do you think written recipes prevent cooking for evolving or do you think written recipes are worth the trade by promulgating cooking to the masses?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)