|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who looked over Bill's shoulder when he first made polenta?
(a) An Italian cook.
(b) His wife.
2. Who was the pasta guy at Babbo?
(c) Dominic Cipollone.
(d) Mark Barrett.
3. What station did Bill say he had to take over in Chapter 15?
(a) The grill station.
(b) The sauce station.
(c) The fish station.
(d) The pasta station.
4. Who did Bill work under in Batali's kitchen?
5. What did Bill learn about polenta at Babbo Restaurant?
(a) That it needed to be stirred.
(b) That it should be cooked for hours and not stirred.
(c) That it takes days to cook.
(d) That it needed a lot of water.
6. What did Batali really want to do?
(a) Become a veterinarian.
(b) Have his own TV show.
(c) Become an architect.
(d) Learn to cook like his grandmother.
7. Why did Nick leave Babbo?
(a) He wanted to study in Italy.
(b) He had a fight with Batali.
(c) He wanted to open his restaurant.
(d) He wanted to tour the world.
8. What was Marco Pierre White avid at?
9. What does "hammered" mean in a kitchen?
(a) Having more orders than one can handle making.
(b) Being fired.
(c) Being sick.
(d) Being demoted.
10. What magazine was Bill Buford a staff writer for, according to Chapter 1?
(a) "The New Yorker."
(b) "The San Francisco Chronicles."
(c) "The Washington Post."
(d) "The New York Post."
11. What did Bill think at the end of the night in Chapter 15?
(a) That he wanted to quit.
(b) That he needed to improve to be part of the kitchen.
(c) That he was part of the kitchen.
(d) That he wanted to open a restaurant.
12. What was the name of the building where Batali opened his pizzeria?
(a) The Exelsior.
(b) The Otto.
(c) The Grande.
(d) The Po.
13. What was Batali's condition when he assigned Bill to the station he begged to be on?
(a) He would have to make pasta that Batali likes.
(b) He would need to prepare the pasta in the prep kitchen first.
(c) He would have to spend two years in Italy.
(d) He would have to be second for 6 months.
14. Where was the restaurant Batali turned down?
15. What did the sous chef do to Bill during the night in Chapter 15?
(a) He stood over his shoulder waiting for him to make a mistake.
(b) He transferred him to the prep kitchen.
(c) He ignored him all night.
(d) He gave him contradictory orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What restaurant offered Batali his first kitchen?
2. What book did Bill find out about a 15th century cook?
3. Who was doing the menial work in Babbo's kitchen?
4. Who worked the grill at Babbo?
5. Who was the saute chef at Babbo?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)