|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created Superman?
2. What refers to an intentional interpersonal relationship used by trained psychologists to aid a client or patient in problems of living?
3. Where was Marshall McLuhan born?
4. When did Jim Jones die?
5. Where is the art display of the two women described in Section I - Chapter 1, "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophies does Eco describe in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare"? What are his conclusions?
2. What does Eco propose about superpowers in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
3. How does Eco describe some American cities in "City of Robots"?
4. How is American culture today unlike the Middle Ages, according to Eco?
5. How does Eco relate to the robots of Disney? How does this affect patrons of theme parks?
6. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
7. What does Eco write of the authenticity of the Ringling Museum of Art? Where is it located?
8. Describe the holographic display in Section I - Chapter 1. What does Eco suggest about holography?
9. What is a "real hero" according to Eco in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
10. In what way does Eco use Superman as an analogy in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "semiotics" defined? How does this term apply to the theories and work of Umberto Eco?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how holography has influenced American culture and our perceptions of reality. How is holography an extension of photorealism? How have these formats evolved since the book was written?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the structure, history and rites of Afro-Brazilian culture. What is the leadership like within these communities?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)