|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco asserts that the Middle Ages were the beginning of several practices including modern armies, a national state, capitalistic economy, and what?
2. Where is the Ringling Museum of Art located?
3. The two ideologies of progress cited by Eco in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion" are suggested by the media to be the foundation for the re-birth of what?
4. What is the sixth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
5. Eco argues that religion never left but what in fact happened was the increase of personal religious practice outside of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are examples of hyper reality in America cited by Eco in Section I - Chapter 1?
2. How does Eco relate to the robots of Disney? How does this affect patrons of theme parks?
3. What conclusions does Eco present in "Culture as a Show Business"?
4. What "ideologies of progress" does Eco describe in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
5. What is a "real hero" according to Eco in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
6. What does Eco propose about superpowers in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
7. Why does Eco refute the argument of the media in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
8. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
9. Describe the holographic display in Section I - Chapter 1. What does Eco suggest about holography?
10. What language does Eco discuss in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare" regarding communication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Middle Ages of national identities, the Middle Ages of Decadentism, and the Middle Ages of philological reconstruction. How do these three types relate to one another and how do they apply to American culture today?
Essay Topic 2
What does Eco use Superman as a metaphor for in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions of the Red Brigades and discusses how communication plays a role in revolution. How does the multinational arrangement change things?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)