|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
2. The two ideologies of progress cited by Eco in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion" are suggested by the media to be the foundation for the re-birth of what?
3. In "Striking at the Heart of the State," Eco insists that the truth of a communication lies in how it is ______ more so than the form, content, or vehicle of the message.
4. What refers to a series of wax museums found throughout the country that are famous for their attention to detail and for having some truly unique objects found nowhere else?
5. What is the sixth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
2. How does Eco define hyper reality? How are crèche and horror vacui defined?
3. What is Eco's metaphor for Superman in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
4. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
5. What does Eco write of the authenticity of the Ringling Museum of Art? Where is it located?
6. How does Eco define the "neo-medieval wave" in Section III Chapter 2?
7. What conclusions does Eco present in "Culture as a Show Business"?
8. What film is discussed in "The Multiplication of the Media"? What does Eco write about the film?
9. What is Eco's principle question regarding authenticity in art?
10. What categories does God fall into, according to Eco?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the actions of the Red Brigades and discusses how communication plays a role in revolution. How does the multinational arrangement change things?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the Hearst Castle? How does it reflect hyper realism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the original 2001: A Space Odyssey and imitations of the original and discuss the impact of imitation. How does this reflect the concept of postmodernism?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)