|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
2. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
3. When was Jim Jones born?
4. When was Che Guevara born?
5. When was Umberto Eco born?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Eco use Superman as an analogy in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
2. What does Eco propose about superpowers in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
3. How does Eco describe some American cities in "City of Robots"?
4. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
5. How does Eco define the "neo-medieval wave" in Section III Chapter 2?
6. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
7. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
8. How does Eco define hyper reality? How are crèche and horror vacui defined?
9. What is the moral of Eco's assessment of WWII in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
10. What does Eco write of the authenticity of the Ringling Museum of Art? Where is it located?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Getty and Ringling Museums. Where are they located and by whom were they originated? Why does Eco discuss each?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the Hearst Castle? How does it reflect hyper realism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the origins and evolution of sport in American society and culture. What impact did the introduction of sports press have on sport, according to Eco?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)