|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco proposes that all use of hyper reality is an attempt to create a monument or a permanent structure that will allow for what?
2. The Getty Museum is described by Eco as maintaining a fierce discipline towards faithful historic presentation of authentic works of art in what way?
3. Where was Che Guevara from?
4. Where is Umberto Eco from?
5. What is a museum of memories referred to in German?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
2. What film is discussed in "The Multiplication of the Media"? What does Eco write about the film?
3. What is a "real hero" according to Eco in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
4. Describe the holographic display in Section I - Chapter 1. What does Eco suggest about holography?
5. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
6. What language does Eco discuss in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare" regarding communication?
7. What does Eco write of American realism in Section I - Chapter 1?
8. What is the moral of Eco's assessment of WWII in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
9. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
10. How does Eco relate to the robots of Disney? How does this affect patrons of theme parks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Eco use Superman as a metaphor for in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how holography has influenced American culture and our perceptions of reality. How is holography an extension of photorealism? How have these formats evolved since the book was written?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Jim Jones, the establishment of the People's Temple, and how Millenarian dynamics played a role in Jones' power. What other cult leaders have exhibited the same traits as Jones?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)