|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Jim Jones born?
2. What is the eighth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
3. Marshall McLuhan suggests that the Middle Ages was characterized by the heavy emphasis on the formal study of what?
4. When did the Red Brigade, headed by Mario Moretti, kidnap the former Christian Democrat Prime Minister Aldo Moro, killing five men of his entourage and subsequently murdering him 54 days later?
5. What ideology of progress is focused on improving society by means of revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What language does Eco discuss in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare" regarding communication?
2. What has the impact of hyper reality been on American society, according to Eco?
3. What "ideologies of progress" does Eco describe in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
4. What philosophies does Eco describe in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare"? What are his conclusions?
5. How is American culture today unlike the Middle Ages, according to Eco?
6. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
7. What are examples of hyper reality in America cited by Eco in Section I - Chapter 1?
8. How does Eco define the "neo-medieval wave" in Section III Chapter 2?
9. What does Eco write of the authenticity of the Ringling Museum of Art? Where is it located?
10. What is the result of a multinational arrangement, according to Eco in "Striking at the Heart of the State"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how holography has influenced American culture and our perceptions of reality. How is holography an extension of photorealism? How have these formats evolved since the book was written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss American zoos, aquariums and religious monuments. How do these fall into the category of hyper reality in Eco's vision?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a museum of your choosing and how it reflects or does not reflect authenticity. According to Eco's definition and theories, is this museum authentic and how is that determined?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)