|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did St. Thomas Aquinas die?
2. Eco suggests that language is what in the sense that "it compels speech"?
3. In "Language, Power, Force" Eco describes a lecture given by Roland Barthes on the subject of what?
4. Hans Sedlmayr was a University Professor of Art History where?
5. In "Sports Chatter" Eco remarks that it would be easier to have a protest in what than a football field?
(a) A library.
(b) A church.
(c) An orphanage.
(d) A restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco believes that Sedlmayr's entire book exists to provide evidence of what?
2. Eco states that Thomas had to unhook Aristotle's teachings from the use they were being put to by whom?
3. According to Eco, spectator sports are "morally superior" to war because they only involve what?
4. When was Roland Barthes born?
5. What famous work did Karl Marx write with Friedrich Engels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are spectator sports like war, according to Eco? How are they superior?
2. What argument does Eco put forth in "The Comic and the Rule"?
3. What was the worst thing to ever happen to St. Thomas Aquinas, according to Eco in "In Praise of St. Thomas"?
4. Why was St. Thomas revolutionary, according to Eco?
5. What conclusions does Eco come to regarding the definition of power in "Language, Power, Force"?
6. How does Hans Sedlmayr examine the theme of man's lost center?
7. Whose lecture does Eco discuss in "Language, Power, Force"? Why?
8. Why does Eco maintain sports exist today primarily? How are sports like wax museums?
9. What two types of objects does Eco describe in "Two Families of Objects"?
10. What does Eco assert about sports in the beginning of "Sports Chatter"?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)