|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eco, spectator sports are "morally superior" to war because they only involve what?
(b) Paid athletes.
(c) Willing participants.
(d) Strategic coaching.
2. Eco maintains that the role of the comic figure is to do what while holding a position that is in stature below the observer?
(a) Tell a joke.
(b) Lighten the mood.
(c) Break a rule.
(d) Divert attention.
3. Eco suggests that it is the creative interplay of the signs that is what, in "Language, Power, Force"?
4. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
5. When was the film Casablanca released?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to something such as an particular mark that represents some piece of information?
2. In "Language, Power, Force" Eco describes a lecture given by Roland Barthes on the subject of what?
3. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
4. Eco relates his experience of having the song "Lady Barbara" burst into his head to what?
5. What sport was Eco apparently very bad at it but wanted to fit in the crowd and thus extolled his father to take him to the games?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities must a movie present in order to attain cult status, according to Eco in "Casablanca: Cult Movies and Intertextual Collage"?
2. How many inter-textual archetypes were used in Casablanca, according to Eco? What does this do?
3. What two types of objects does Eco describe in "Two Families of Objects"?
4. How does Eco propose that one must free oneself from the confines of language?
5. What argument does Eco put forth in "The Comic and the Rule"?
6. How does semiotics assist in understanding language and communication, according to Eco?
7. What experience does Eco describe in "Lady Barbara"?
8. What is Eco's principle statement in "Lady Barbara" and "Lumbar Support"?
9. How does Eco define "motif"? What word does he choose to use instead?
10. Why was St. Thomas revolutionary, according to Eco?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)