|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was St. Thomas Aquinas born?
2. Eco suggests that language is what in the sense that "it compels speech"?
3. When was Leon Foucault born?
4. When did St. Thomas Aquinas die?
5. When was Hans Sedlmayr born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
2. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco cites Karl Marx implying that markets are the very places in which the goods that are being sold do what?
3. In "Sports Chatter" Eco remarks that it would be easier to have a protest in what than a football field?
4. Where was Roland Barthes from?
5. According to Eco, spectator sports are "morally superior" to war because they only involve what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and from whom did St. Thomas unlock the secrets of reason, according to Eco?
2. How does Eco relate sports to culture and entertainment in "Sports Chatter"?
3. How many inter-textual archetypes were used in Casablanca, according to Eco? What does this do?
4. How does Hans Sedlmayr examine the theme of man's lost center?
5. Why was St. Thomas revolutionary, according to Eco?
6. How are spectator sports like war, according to Eco? How are they superior?
7. What qualities must a movie present in order to attain cult status, according to Eco in "Casablanca: Cult Movies and Intertextual Collage"?
8. What conclusions does Eco come to regarding the definition of power in "Language, Power, Force"?
9. Whose lecture does Eco discuss in "Language, Power, Force"? Why?
10. What was the worst thing to ever happen to St. Thomas Aquinas, according to Eco in "In Praise of St. Thomas"?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)