|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion," Eco suggests that the story of what heralds the return to religion?
(b) The Incredible Hulk.
(c) Captain America.
2. Where is the Ringling Museum of Art located?
(a) Tallahassee, Florida.
(b) Sarasota, Florida.
(c) Savannah, Georgia.
(d) Atlanta, Georgia.
3. Where did Jim Jones' cult members commit mass suicide?
(a) Jonestown, Guyana.
(b) Waco, Texas.
(c) Johannesburg, South Africa.
(d) Lima, Peru.
4. What book of Marshall McLuhan's suggests that man has lost his center?
(a) Understanding Sport.
(b) Understanding Media.
(c) Understanding Society.
(d) Understanding The Human Mind.
5. Eco asserts that the Middle Ages were the beginning of several practices including modern armies, a national state, capitalistic economy, and what?
(a) The "need for convenience."
(b) The "age of robots."
(c) The "sanitation era."
(d) The "technological transformation of labor".
Short Answer Questions
1. What were a Marxist-Leninist terrorist group based in Italy and active, via a number of political assassinations, during the "Years of Lead"?
2. In "City of Robots," Eco asserts that in America there are cities that are created purely for what?
3. What is the fifth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
4. What is the second type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
5. What period followed the Middle Ages?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Eco's principle argument in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
2. What practices arose during medieval times which Eco asserts are with us today?
3. What are examples of hyper reality in America cited by Eco in Section I - Chapter 1?
4. What categories does God fall into, according to Eco?
5. Who is the focus of the essay "The Suicides at the Temple"? What is Eco's conclusion of cults?
6. What does Eco propose about superpowers in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
7. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
8. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
9. How is American culture today unlike the Middle Ages, according to Eco?
10. What is Eco's principle question regarding authenticity in art?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)