|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Jim Jones die?
2. What does Eco suggest serve as a museum of memories for Superman?
(b) The city lights.
(c) Newspaper clippings.
3. In "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion," Eco suggests that the story of what heralds the return to religion?
(a) The Incredible Hulk.
(b) Captain America.
4. In "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion" Eco again returns to the metaphor of Superman to what?
(a) A train.
(b) A car.
(c) A dog.
5. Eco believes that new "negative theologies" may give insight into what?
(a) Common belief.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) Revolutionary thought.
(d) Psychic abilities.
Short Answer Questions
1. The works of art within the Ringling Museum of Art are what?
2. When was Che Guevara born?
3. When was Umberto Eco born?
4. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
5. When did the Western Roman Empire fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What philosophies does Eco describe in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare"? What are his conclusions?
2. How does Eco define hyper reality? How are crèche and horror vacui defined?
3. What practices arose during medieval times which Eco asserts are with us today?
4. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
5. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
6. Describe the holographic display in Section I - Chapter 1. What does Eco suggest about holography?
7. Who is the focus of the essay "The Suicides at the Temple"? What is Eco's conclusion of cults?
8. What is the moral of Eco's assessment of WWII in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
9. What does Eco write of the authenticity of the Ringling Museum of Art? Where is it located?
10. How does Eco define the "neo-medieval wave" in Section III Chapter 2?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)