|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of the effects of zoos and aquariums, according to Eco, is that animals have been erroneously what?
2. Where is the J. Paul Getty Museum located?
(a) Sacramento, California.
(b) San Jose, California.
(c) Malibu, California.
(d) Los Angeles, California.
3. In "City of Robots," Eco asserts that in America there are cities that are created purely for what?
(c) Money making.
4. When was Superman created?
5. In "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion," Eco suggests that the story of what heralds the return to religion?
(b) The Incredible Hulk.
(c) Captain America.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Red Brigade, headed by Mario Moretti, kidnap the former Christian Democrat Prime Minister Aldo Moro, killing five men of his entourage and subsequently murdering him 54 days later?
2. What ideology of progress is focused on improving society by means of revolution?
3. Eco asserts that the Middle Ages were the beginning of several practices including modern armies, a national state, capitalistic economy, and what?
4. Where is the Walt Disney World Resort located?
5. Eco asserts that America is a country that is fixated on realism, even to the point of obtaining "real" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What categories does God fall into, according to Eco?
2. What does Eco propose about superpowers in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
3. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
4. Who is the focus of the essay "The Suicides at the Temple"? What is Eco's conclusion of cults?
5. What philosophies does Eco describe in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare"? What are his conclusions?
6. What is Eco's metaphor for Superman in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
7. What "ideologies of progress" does Eco describe in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
8. What practices arose during medieval times which Eco asserts are with us today?
9. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
10. What does Eco describe in the beginning of "Striking at the Heart of the State"?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)