|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sixth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
(a) The Middle Ages of philological reconstruction.
(b) The Middle Ages as a barbaric age.
(c) The Middle Ages of national identities.
(d) The Middle Ages of so-called Tradition.
2. Where was Jim Jones from?
3. Where is the Walt Disney World Resort located?
(a) Key West, Florida.
(b) Orlando, Florida.
(c) Tampa, Florida.
(d) Palm Beach, Florida.
4. Eco creates a language for talking about communication transmission in which there is a source that sends out a signal via a transmitter through what?
(a) A wavelength.
(b) A transistor.
(c) A sine wave.
(d) A channel.
5. Eco discusses the current cultural fascination with the Middle Ages that he refers to as what?
(a) "The royal inspiration."
(b) "Castle of wonder."
(c) The "neo-medieval wave."
(d) "Round table insanity."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eco assert that Disney suggests that the imitation of reality is so accurate that reality pales in comparison?
2. Who directed 2001: A Space Odyssey?
3. What is a museum of memories referred to in German?
4. Where did Jim Jones' cult members commit mass suicide?
5. Eco suggests that the multinational system is very stable and that the only danger to it is a situation of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
2. What film is discussed in "The Multiplication of the Media"? What does Eco write about the film?
3. What is the moral of Eco's assessment of WWII in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
4. What has the impact of hyper reality been on American society, according to Eco?
5. What does Eco describe in the beginning of "Striking at the Heart of the State"?
6. What is a "real hero" according to Eco in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
7. What is the result of a multinational arrangement, according to Eco in "Striking at the Heart of the State"?
8. What philosophies does Eco describe in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare"? What are his conclusions?
9. How does Eco define hyper reality? How are crèche and horror vacui defined?
10. How is American culture today unlike the Middle Ages, according to Eco?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)