|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jim Jones' cult members commit mass suicide?
(a) Jonestown, Guyana.
(b) Johannesburg, South Africa.
(c) Waco, Texas.
(d) Lima, Peru.
2. When was Che Guevara born?
3. Eco asserts in discussing Jim Jones that cults are inevitably formed in a time of what?
4. The Getty Museum is described by Eco as maintaining a fierce discipline towards faithful historic presentation of authentic works of art in what way?
(a) The context in which they were made.
(b) The way the artist saw them.
(c) The way they were meant to be enjoyed.
(d) A manner that reflects the times.
5. What is a museum of memories referred to in German?
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a sovereign state which is viewed as comprising two or more nations?
2. Marshall McLuhan suggests that the Middle Ages was characterized by the heavy emphasis on the formal study of what?
3. Eco asserts that America has its own "Fortresses of Solitude" and it is the realm in which what is found?
4. Eco proposes that tourists at Disney must have a certain passivity and behave as what in order to enjoy themselves?
5. Where is the art display of the two women described in Section I - Chapter 1, "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eco compare universities to monasteries in "Living in the New Middle Ages"?
2. What is the moral of Eco's assessment of WWII in "Why are They Laughing in Those Cages?"
3. What is described in "Whose Side are the Orixa on?" What are Eco's conclusions?
4. What is the result of a multinational arrangement, according to Eco in "Striking at the Heart of the State"?
5. What has the impact of hyper reality been on American society, according to Eco?
6. In what way does Eco use Superman as an analogy in Section I - Chapter 1? What is a "Fortress of Solitude"?
7. What philosophies does Eco describe in "Towards a Semiological Guerrilla Warfare"? What are his conclusions?
8. How is nature a victim of hyper reality to Eco? How is religion?
9. Why does Eco discuss the J. Paul Getty Museum? Where is it located?
10. What is Eco's principle question regarding authenticity in art?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)