|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section XIII Chapter 8 288- 307.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
2. Eco believes that new "negative theologies" may give insight into what?
(a) Revolutionary thought.
(b) Psychic abilities.
(c) Common belief.
(d) Mental illness.
3. Whose theory asserts that non-material abstract (but substantial) forms (or ideas), and not the material world of change known to us through sensation, possess the highest and most fundamental kind of reality?
4. Eco maintains that the role of the comic figure is to do what while holding a position that is in stature below the observer?
(a) Tell a joke.
(b) Lighten the mood.
(c) Break a rule.
(d) Divert attention.
5. Where was Roland Barthes from?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
2. In "Culture as a Show Business" Eco discusses the fact that culture until recently dictated that things must be what?
3. Eco argues that religion never left but what in fact happened was the increase of personal religious practice outside of what?
4. In "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion," Eco suggests that the story of what heralds the return to religion?
5. What refers to a series of wax museums found throughout the country that are famous for their attention to detail and for having some truly unique objects found nowhere else?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)