|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section XIII Chapter 8 288- 307.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What refers to an intentional interpersonal relationship used by trained psychologists to aid a client or patient in problems of living?
(b) Physical therapy.
(d) Shock therapy.
2. In "How the Exposition Exposes Itself," Eco discusses the fact that when the production and exchange of items has become universal, the only way for a country to distinguish itself from the others is in how?
3. What refers to something such as an particular mark that represents some piece of information?
4. Eco compares cults to what, which he asserts have existed at least since the time of Christ?
(c) Millenarian dynamics.
5. What type of medium focuses on low definition so that the received must fill in gaps on their own?
(a) Dry medium.
(b) Wet medium.
(c) Hot medium.
(d) Cool medium.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Striking at the Heart of the State," Eco insists that the truth of a communication lies in how it is ______ more so than the form, content, or vehicle of the message.
2. In "Two Families of Objects," what market does Eco refer to as a "temple" at which the semiotic signs of consumerism may be studied?
3. What sport was Eco apparently very bad at it but wanted to fit in the crowd and thus extolled his father to take him to the games?
4. What is the ninth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
5. Where was St. Thomas Aquinas born?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)