|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section XIII Chapter 8 288- 307.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eco suggests that the multinational system is very stable and that the only danger to it is a situation of what?
(a) Natural disaster.
(b) Enraged citizens.
(c) Mass terrorism.
(d) Economic hardship.
2. Eco uses the story of Superman as an allegory of America and suggests that he has need of returning to what from time to time?
(a) "Fortress of Solitude."
(b) "Room of Silence."
(c) "Moment of Sorrow."
(d) "Time of Joy."
3. What ideology of progress is focused on improving society by means of revolution?
4. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
(a) A slowing of the human thought process.
(b) An overabundance of trivial knowledge.
(c) A loss of self.
(d) A passive ingestion of media.
5. Eco asserts that nature is a victim of what by way of zoos and aquariums?
(a) Hyper reality.
(c) Animal cruelty.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "What Kind of Communication?" Eco expresses that expositions can communicate especially how?
2. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
3. What is the tenth type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
4. In "A Photograph" Eco references an incident in which a radio station captured the live experience of what?
5. In "What Kind of Communication?" Eco refers to a particular building where that is so open symbolically that it seems to negate the values and spirit that it was supposed to convey?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)