|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section XIII Chapter 8 288- 307.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What book of Marshall McLuhan's is cited in "Cogito Interruptus"?
(a) The Gutenberg Galaxy: The Making of Typographic Man.
(b) War and Peace in the Global Village.
(c) Understanding Media.
(d) The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man.
2. In addition to the organized religions, Eco proposes that there is also what for those who have been somewhat on the margins of society?
(a) A "new religiosity."
(b) Spiritual beliefs.
(c) Anonymous churches.
(d) Silent worship.
3. Eco suggests that the multinational system is very stable and that the only danger to it is a situation of what?
(a) Mass terrorism.
(b) Economic hardship.
(c) Natural disaster.
(d) Enraged citizens.
4. What is the first type of object Eco analyzes in "Two Families of Objects"?
(a) The common object.
(b) The antique object.
(c) The beautiful object.
(d) The significant object.
5. Eco relates his experience of having the song "Lady Barbara" burst into his head to what?
(a) Anticipatory applause.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the effects of zoos and aquariums, according to Eco, is that animals have been erroneously what?
2. Eco states that spectator sports are a form of what, which like war, allows the aggressive impulses to be discharged?
3. When did construction start on the Roman Colosseum?
4. What refers to something such as an particular mark that represents some piece of information?
5. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco cites Karl Marx implying that markets are the very places in which the goods that are being sold do what?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)