|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section IX Chapter 5 197- 218.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eco suggests that the vital essence of sports becomes further removed by what?
(a) Sports press.
(b) Angry fans.
2. In "Living in the New Middle Ages," Eco asserts that one of the hallmarks of the Middle Ages was the decline of a period of peace that was brought about by what?
(a) Advanced weapons.
(b) The plague.
(c) A tyrant.
(d) A superpower.
3. When was the film Casablanca released?
4. Eco suggests of religion that these monuments that are being created are a form of timelessness that satisfies human desire for what?
5. Eco asserts that because of the multinational arrangement, there is no head of a particular government or country that can be toppled in order to change what?
(a) The family unit.
(b) The status quo.
(c) The military.
(d) The arts world.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Karl Marx born?
2. What is the second realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
3. According to Eco, hyper reality serves to confuse the boundaries of what?
4. Eco uses the story of Superman as an allegory of America and suggests that he has need of returning to what from time to time?
5. In "Striking at the Heart of the State," Eco insists that the truth of a communication lies in how it is ______ more so than the form, content, or vehicle of the message.
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)