|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section VI - Chapter 4 133-158.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
(b) Sports and arenas.
(c) Art and museums.
2. In "Striking at the Heart of the State," Eco insists that the truth of a communication lies in how it is ______ more so than the form, content, or vehicle of the message.
3. Eco uses the story of Superman as an allegory of America and suggests that he has need of returning to what from time to time?
(a) "Time of Joy."
(b) "Room of Silence."
(c) "Fortress of Solitude."
(d) "Moment of Sorrow."
4. When did Jim Jones die?
5. Eco asserts in discussing Jim Jones that cults are inevitably formed in a time of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eco suggest serve as a museum of memories for Superman?
2. What does Eco define as the fear of open or white space that is remedied by filling an entire piece of art with excessive detail in a neurotic fashion?
3. Where is the Ringling Museum of Art located?
4. When was 2001: A Space Odyssey released?
5. Marshall McLuhan states that the constant barrage of information leads to what?
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)