|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section IV Chapter 3 - 87-112.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eco discusses the current cultural fascination with the Middle Ages that he refers to as what?
(a) "Castle of wonder."
(b) "Round table insanity."
(c) The "neo-medieval wave."
(d) "The royal inspiration."
2. Where is the J. Paul Getty Museum located?
(a) San Jose, California.
(b) Malibu, California.
(c) Sacramento, California.
(d) Los Angeles, California.
3. Eco proposes that tourists at Disney must have a certain passivity and behave as what in order to enjoy themselves?
(a) Wild animals.
4. Where is the art display of the two women described in Section I - Chapter 1, "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
(a) The New York School of Geography.
(b) The New York School of Hyperbole.
(c) The New York School of Geology.
(d) The New York School of Holography.
5. In addition to the organized religions, Eco proposes that there is also what for those who have been somewhat on the margins of society?
(a) Anonymous churches.
(b) Spiritual beliefs.
(c) A "new religiosity."
(d) Silent worship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco believes that new "negative theologies" may give insight into what?
2. What is the second realm of hyper reality discussed by Eco in "Travels in Hyper Reality"?
3. Eco uses the story of Superman as an allegory of America and suggests that he has need of returning to what from time to time?
4. What refers to the study of signs and sign processes, indication, designation, likeness, analogy, metaphor, symbolism, signification, and communication?
5. What does Eco define as the fear of open or white space that is remedied by filling an entire piece of art with excessive detail in a neurotic fashion?
This section contains 284 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)