|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section VIII - Chapter 5 181 - 196.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What common contemporary phrase did Marshall McLuhan coin?
(a) Greenhouse Gases.
(c) The Coriolis Effect.
(d) The Global Village.
2. What term refers to a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time?
(a) Peace treaty.
3. In "Two Families of Objects," Eco states that all of the objects for sale represent a kind of what?
(a) "Undifferentiated desire."
(c) "Useless junk."
(d) "Unique appeal."
4. When were the earliest American blue jeans made?
5. What refers to something such as an particular mark that represents some piece of information?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second type of Middle Ages presented by Eco in order to approach the subject in a disciplined way?
2. When did the Red Brigade, headed by Mario Moretti, kidnap the former Christian Democrat Prime Minister Aldo Moro, killing five men of his entourage and subsequently murdering him 54 days later?
3. In "Two Families of Objects," what market does Eco refer to as a "temple" at which the semiotic signs of consumerism may be studied?
4. Who directed 2001: A Space Odyssey?
5. Ego proposes that our fascination with the Middle Ages is related to a desire to do what?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)