|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section X Chapter 6 219-238.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eco, spectator sports are "morally superior" to war because they only involve what?
(a) Willing participants.
(c) Strategic coaching.
(d) Paid athletes.
2. What ideology of progress seeks to improve the world through the use of science and technology?
3. What is the first of two categories Eco proposes that thoughts about God fall into in "The Sacred is Not Just a Fashion"?
(a) God seeing all things at all times.
(b) God in the negative, through what he is not.
(c) God having attributes that humans do not possess.
(d) God is perfect, people are not.
4. Eco describes Sedlmayr's treatment of art as what?
(c) Excessively reductionistic.
5. When did construction start on the Roman Colosseum?
(a) 72 A.D.
(b) 22 B.C.
(c) 12 A.D.
(d) 65 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Eco states that spectator sports are a form of what, which like war, allows the aggressive impulses to be discharged?
2. When was Jim Jones born?
3. Sedlmayr asserts that what is a rejection of the upward thrust of other buildings and implies that it means a disconnection from the earth?
4. Eco asserts that sport now exists mainly for what reasons?
5. Eco compares cults to what, which he asserts have existed at least since the time of Christ?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)