|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Aristotle, how does tragedy achieve the emotion it inspires?
(b) Using the element of surprise.
2. What two things does Aristotle require to be present in a well-written story?
(a) Irony and foreshadowing.
(b) Rhythm and harmony.
(c) Conflict and pain.
(d) Birth and death.
3. In the context of poetry, Aristotle explains that rhythm is used in the form of a what?
(a) Specific beat.
(c) Mysterious undertone.
4. In art, Aristotle defines the medium as what?
(a) The average.
(b) The manner in which the art is produced.
(c) The artist's spiritual inspiration.
(d) A middle state or condition.
5. What does Aristotle call the individual episodes of a story with an episodic plot?
(b) Isolated stories.
(d) Dependent stories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of action does Aristotle say occurs with "Recognition" and/or "Reversal of Situation"?
2. Aristotle says that storytelling with episodic plots is to be favored by whom?
3. Concerning the "laws of probability and necessity," what statement below is NOT correct according to Aristotle's teachings in "Poetics"?
4. What does Aristotle say about the element of surprise in a tragedy?
5. What is history according to Aristotle?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)