|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aristotle says that at most, episodic plots involve what?
(a) The same characters.
(b) Sad middle and happy ending.
(c) Strange irony.
(d) Disconnected foreshadowing.
2. Men are drawn to write poetry for several reasons. Which of the following is NOT one of the reasons Aristotle provides?
(a) There is a natural attraction to rhythm and harmony.
(b) Man is naturally attracted to imitation.
(c) Man enjoys learning.
(d) Man is naturally attracted to beauty.
3. According to Aristotle, how does tragedy achieve the emotion it inspires?
(c) Using the element of surprise.
4. What men does Aristotle consider to be "lower" types?
(a) Men who are defective in some way, but not altogether evil or malicious towards others.
(b) Men who are poor and unhealthy.
(c) Single men.
(d) Unemployed men.
5. How does Aristotle define "Recognition"?
(a) A change from ignorance to knowledge.
(b) A sudden realization that one is familiar with something.
(c) An understanding of something.
(d) A deep knowing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle explains that the medium specific to poetry is one that uses what?
2. In a tragedy, how does Aristotle say the element of surprise should come about?
3. What, as Aristotle states, are good poets forced to do when they write stories with episodic plots?
4. According to Aristotle, how should the plot of a well-written tragedy be structured?
5. Aristotle explains that tragedy is not only concerned with the depiction of just any action, but of actions that inspire what?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)