|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of poetry does Aristotle say focuses on serious and important actions?
(a) Roman poetry.
(b) None of the answers is correct.
(d) Greek poetry.
2. If the story is performed, why, according to Aristotle, should actors act with appropriate gestures to demonstrate their emotions and thoughts as the story progresses?
(a) Gestures are more important than dialogue.
(b) Aristotle says that gestures compensate for a bad story.
(c) None of the answers is correct.
(d) Aristotle says that spectators will not be able to infer these simply from the dialog alone.
3. Aristotle says that simply doing what well leaves a mediocre piece of art?
(a) Giving the reader a sense of suspense.
(b) Writing a complication and unraveling.
(c) Infusing irony just at the beginning.
(d) Developing a main character that does not have a close friend.
4. As Aristotle states, what ways are epic poems different from other poems, specifically tragedies?
(a) They tend to rhyme.
(b) The meter of epic poems is unimportant.
(c) They are of considerably greater length and scope.
(d) They are much shorter.
5. What example does Aristotle provide of recognition occurring through the will of the poet?
(a) There is no such thing as recognition through the will of the poet.
(b) One character may reveal himself to another for no reason.
(c) A character is revealed when the poet announces it.
(d) The main character reveals himself to the antagonist when the reader least expects.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of action does Aristotle say occurs with "Recognition" and/or "Reversal of Situation"?
2. What are the ways Aristotle explains in regard to how poets differ in their representation of the object?
3. Aristotle says that storytelling with episodic plots is to be favored by whom?
4. What men does Aristotle consider to be "lower" types?
5. What example does Aristotle use to demonstrate his point of epic vs. tragedy formats?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)