|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section III.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on Aristotle's teachings about tragedy, how can the poet unify the plot?
(a) Develop characters who behave in a believable manner.
(b) Use more verbs.
(c) Establishing clear relationships between actions the rest of the plot.
(d) Use complete sentences.
2. What does Aristotle consider to be the most tragic event?
(a) A member of a family killing another.
(b) A mother abandoning her child.
(c) Two lovers splitting up.
3. Based on "Poetics" by Aristotle, how many deeds does Homer say Odysseus accomplished?
(b) Twenty thousand.
(d) Ten thousand.
4. How does Aristotle differentiate poetry from prose?
(a) They are the same.
(b) Prose uses pictures and music.
(c) Poetry uses rhythm in the form of meter.
(d) Poetry uses language alone.
5. In poetry, Aristotle explains that the "Recognition" is almost always what?
(a) A surprise.
(b) Between two characters.
(c) The end of the poem.
(d) A tragedy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In poetry, what is the term that Aristotle gives for an action that aims to accomplish a certain goal, but actually accomplishes the opposite?
2. What would Aristotle say about the following action: a man is about to kill his brother, thinking him to be his enemy, but discovers his identity and therefore spares his life?
3. Aristotle explains that the medium specific to poetry is one that uses what?
4. Aristotle says that a poet must understand what in order to write a scene of love effectively between a man and a woman?
5. In situations where the poet cannot avoid absurdity, Aristotle mentions that the skilled poet does what?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)