|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Aristotle identify as the most essential element of tragedy?
2. Aristotle asserts that men who find poetry very attractive find great pleasure in what?
3. What are the ways Aristotle explains in regard to how poets differ in their representation of the object?
(a) Poets can portray the objects as worse or the same as they are.
(b) Poets can portray the object as better or worse, but never the same as they are.
(c) Poets can portray the objects as worse, better, or the same as they are
(d) There is no difference in the way poets portray the objects.
4. What does Aristotle say about the element of surprise in a tragedy?
(a) It helps inspire joy.
(b) It helps inspire sadness.
(c) It keeps the reader guessing and interested.
(d) It helps inspire pity.
5. Aristotle explains that tragedy is not only concerned with the depiction of just any action, but of actions that inspire what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In how many ways does Aristotle say the method of imitation can differ?
2. Aristotle says what type of poetry imitates the "lower" types of men?
3. What two things does Aristotle require to be present in a well-written story?
4. According to Aristotle, why do good poets sometimes write stories using episodic plots?
5. What men does Aristotle consider to be "lower" types?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)