|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section I.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Aristotle give for Homer excluding many things that Odysseus does on his voyage home in the "Odyssey"?
(a) Aristotle explains that Homer prefers to keep the reader guessing.
(b) Aristotle says that Odysseus does some embarrassing things that are better left unsaid.
(c) Aristotle says that Homer excludes things because they do not relate well to the overall plot that is being constructed.
(d) Nothing is excluded.
2. What does Aristotle say about the element of surprise in a tragedy?
(a) It helps inspire pity.
(b) It helps inspire joy.
(c) It helps inspire sadness.
(d) It keeps the reader guessing and interested.
3. What type of action does Aristotle say occurs without "Recognition" or "Reversal of Situation"?
4. In order for a plot to be truly effective in achieving the desired emotional response from its readers or audience, Aristotle says that the poet must do what?
(a) Write a tragedy with a sad ending.
(b) Pick characters whose relationships to one another make the actions of the plot more interesting.
(c) Pick characters that the audience can easily pity.
(d) Infuse irony throughout the story.
5. What are the ways Aristotle explains in regard to how poets differ in their representation of the object?
(a) Poets can portray the objects as worse, better, or the same as they are
(b) There is no difference in the way poets portray the objects.
(c) Poets can portray the objects as worse or the same as they are.
(d) Poets can portray the object as better or worse, but never the same as they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things does Aristotle require to be present in a well-written story?
2. Aristotle says that storytelling with episodic plots is to be favored by whom?
3. Aristotle believes that a poet can turn a complex plot into a simple one by doing what?
4. According to Aristotle, how should the plot of a well-written tragedy be structured?
5. Concerning the "laws of probability and necessity," what statement below is NOT correct according to Aristotle's teachings in "Poetics"?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)