|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What psychologist discovered that the immune system is not separate from the brain, but connected to it through the part of the brain that regulates emotion?
2. According to the author in Part Four: Chapter 13, “Trauma and Emotional Relearning ,” what can help lessen the length and intensity of emotional responses or emotional hijackings, reshaping the brain to stand down from the constant state of emergency?
3. Following criticism from Senator Charles Grassley of the Senate Finance Committee, Nemeroff resigned as chair of the psychiatry department at what institution?
4. What psychologist at the University of Texas summarizes his research by reporting that women want to talk to make an emotional connection, but men want to make a connection by doing things together?
5. As businesses rely more and more on teamwork in a global environment, the more prized employees will be the ones who demonstrate what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the “healthy” and “unhealthy” ways of arguing in Part Three: “Chapter 9, Intimate Enemies”?
2. How does family impact a child’s development of emotional intelligence?
3. What example does the author give in Part Three: “Chapter 9, Intimate Enemies” for the differences between boys and girls in their interpersonal relationships?
4. What does the author give as reasons for the higher divorce rates today than 100 years ago in Part Three: “Chapter 9, Intimate Enemies”?
5. What three toxic parenting styles are described in Part Four: Chapter 12, “The Family Crucible”? Who identified these styles?
6. What did Leslie Brody and Judith Hall discover about the developmental differences between boys and girls?
7. What impact does abuse have on a child’s perceptions of empathy?
8. What biological explanation does Dr. Charles Nemeroff give for PTSD in Part Four: Chapter 13, “Trauma and Emotional Relearning”?
9. What does the author state in regard to personal prejudice in the workplace in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”?
10. What advice does Harry Levinson give to managers on coaching employees in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the research of Doff Zillmann and his studies at the University of Alabama. What did Zillmann discover to be the trigger for anger? Is this theory contested? What methods does Zillmann give for diffusing anger?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the work of Joseph LeDoux and Dr. Antonio Damasio. What is the specialization of each of these individuals? What discoveries did each make regarding the amygdala? How does Dr. Damasio describe the process of the amygdala in an emotional hijacking?
Essay Topic 3
Define and analyze repressors. What biological elements are involved in the behavior of these individuals? What psychological elements are involved? How do repressors learn to express their emotions?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)