|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart,” one management consultant stated that “stress makes people” what?
2. Children who are disciplined irregularly or based on the mood of the parents learn what that can follow them through life, according to the author in Part Four: Chapter 12, “The Family Crucible”?
3. Jerome Kagan found four temperamental types that have different patterns of brain activity. What is the first described in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”?
4. Dr. Redford Williams found that being prone to what was a stronger predictor of dying young than other risk factors including smoking, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol?
5. According to the author in “Part Three: Chapter 9, “Intimate Enemies,” boys honor independence while girls treasure what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe the “healthy” and “unhealthy” ways of arguing in Part Three: “Chapter 9, Intimate Enemies”?
2. What impact does abuse have on a child’s perceptions of empathy?
3. What three toxic parenting styles are described in Part Four: Chapter 12, “The Family Crucible”? Who identified these styles?
4. What is the impact of emotional illiteracy, according to the author in Part Five: Chapter 15, “The Cost of Emotional Illiteracy”?
5. What is the author’s position in teaching “character”? What is his conclusion in this regard at the end of the book?
6. What study did Hilda Bruch develop in the 1960s? What discoveries did she make?
7. What is the impact of post-traumatic stress disorder in children, according to the author in Part Four: Chapter 13, “Trauma and Emotional Relearning”?
8. What did Richard Davidson discover as a link to temperament? How is this link described in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”?
9. What study on the engineers at Bell Labs is described in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”? What results were found?
10. Why is “bullying” an inadequate managerial technique, according to the author in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”? What does good management mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the components of the human brain. What components develop first in fetal development? What components of the brain are related to emotions? How do these components interact with the “reasoning” parts of the brain?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Binet Intelligence Test and its accuracy in determining intelligence. When was the test developed? How has it evolved? Who developed it?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Intelligence Quotient and Emotional Intelligence. How has emotional intelligence been regarded traditionally in education? How is this changing? What are the benefits of each of these facets of the human personality? How may each be used to determine success in life?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)