|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Psychologist John Lochman designed a program to retrain aggressive boys in what?
2. The way men and women communicate comes from training in childhood and what, according to the author in Part Three: Chapter 9, “Intimate Enemies”?
3. According to the author in Part Five: Chapter 15, “The Cost of Emotional Illiteracy,” alcoholics tend to have a biological marker of under-producing what neurotransmitter that regulates anxiety?
4. According to the author in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart,” one management consultant stated that “stress makes people” what?
5. According to the author in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart,” the days of the bully manager are over in favor of building what in the workplace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do parents have the greatest influence in shaping a child’s brain, according to the author in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”?
2. What is the impact of emotional illiteracy, according to the author in Part Five: Chapter 15, “The Cost of Emotional Illiteracy”?
3. What impacts do stress and anxiety have on the body, according to Bruce McEven?
4. What discovery did Dr. David Spiegel make regarding emotions and the body?
5. What program of John Lochman’s is decribed in Part Five: Chapter 15, “The Cost of Emotional Illiteracy”? What were the results of the program?
6. What biological explanation does Dr. Charles Nemeroff give for PTSD in Part Four: Chapter 13, “Trauma and Emotional Relearning”?
7. What did Leslie Brody and Judith Hall discover about the developmental differences between boys and girls?
8. What discovery did Robert Ader make regarding emotions? What impact did this study have?
9. What study on the engineers at Bell Labs is described in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”? What results were found?
10. What does the author state regarding “age-appropriate learning” in Part Five: Chapter 16, “Schooling the Emotions”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the research of Doff Zillmann and his studies at the University of Alabama. What did Zillmann discover to be the trigger for anger? Is this theory contested? What methods does Zillmann give for diffusing anger?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of optimism and its impact on emotional intelligence. How does optimism affect human health? Can optimism ever be a “bad” thing? Can a person learn skills to become optimistic?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the book’s publication and the author. Where did Daniel Goleman earn his Ph.D. in brain and behavioral sciences? For what publications has Goleman written? How was the book received critically? When has the book been updated and revised and what material was added?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)