|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jerome Kagan found four temperamental types that have different patterns of brain activity. What is the fourth described in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”?
2. What does “SEL” stand for?
3. Marriages that began in 1990 suffered a divorce rate of what percentage, according to the author in Part Three: Chapter 9, “Intimate Enemies”?
4. Corporate consultant and psychoanalyst Harry Levinson advises managers on how to coach employees. What is the second piece of advice he gives?
5. Where did Dr. Charles Nemeroff earn his Ph.D. in neurobiology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is “bullying” an inadequate managerial technique, according to the author in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”? What does good management mean?
2. What is the author’s position in teaching “character”? What is his conclusion in this regard at the end of the book?
3. What discovery did Robert Ader make regarding emotions? What impact did this study have?
4. How does family impact a child’s development of emotional intelligence?
5. What health impacts from anger are described in Part Three: Chapter 11, “Mind and Medicine”? Who conducted studies on anger?
6. What study did Hilda Bruch develop in the 1960s? What discoveries did she make?
7. What did Leslie Brody and Judith Hall discover about the developmental differences between boys and girls?
8. Why four temperamental types are described in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”? Who identified these types?
9. What discovery did Dr. David Spiegel make regarding emotions and the body?
10. What does the author state in regard to personal prejudice in the workplace in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the work of Dr. Peter Sifneos and the condition of alexithymia. When was this condition identified? What characteristics do alexithymics exhibit? How are they perceived by others?
Essay Topic 2
Define and analyze repressors. What biological elements are involved in the behavior of these individuals? What psychological elements are involved? How do repressors learn to express their emotions?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss work of Robert Ader. What impact did Ader’s discovery about the immune system have on the scientific community? What did the resulting experiments show? How can one learn skills to manipulate emotion and health?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)