|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dolf Zillmann is a psychologist at what university?
2. Researcher Paul Ekman names three kinds of display rules in Part Two: Chapter 8, “The Social Arts.” What is the first?
3. According to the author in Part Two: Chapter 6, “The Master Aptitude,” the superior achievement of Asian-Americans comes more from what than from IQ?
4. Charisma combines four separate interpersonal intelligence components, according to what two psychologists discussed in Part Two: Chapter 8, “The Social Arts”?
5. Empathy is learned in infancy through what process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tests do children take in Project Spectrum?
2. How does the author compare IQ and EI in Part Two: Chapter 3, “When Smart Is Dumb”?
3. What are the purposes of the left and right pre-frontal lobes in the brain?
4. What does Howard Gardner suggest regarding EI in Part Two: Chapter 3, “When Smart Is Dumb”?
5. What did Dolf Zillmann discover about anger, according to the author in Part Two: Chapter 5, “Passion's Slaves”?
6. What is the purpose of the neocortex? When was the neocortex developed in mammals?
7. What discovery did Walter Mischel make through his experiments in the 1960s?
8. How is alexithymia defined in Part Two: Chapter 4, “Know Thyself”? Who coined this term?
9. Psychologist John Mayer, of the University of New Hampshire, names three styles of handling one's emotions. How are these described in Part Two: Chapter 4, “Know Thyself”?
10. How is dyssemia defined in Part Two: Chapter 8, “The Social Arts”? How common is dyssemia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss work of Robert Ader. What impact did Ader’s discovery about the immune system have on the scientific community? What did the resulting experiments show? How can one learn skills to manipulate emotion and health?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the work of Dr. Peter Sifneos and the condition of alexithymia. When was this condition identified? What characteristics do alexithymics exhibit? How are they perceived by others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Binet Intelligence Test and its accuracy in determining intelligence. When was the test developed? How has it evolved? Who developed it?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)