|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Emotions, like instincts, have helped humans survive by doing what, according to the author in Part One: Chapter 1, “What Are Emotions For?”
2. Daniel Goleman currently co-directs the Consortium for Research on Emotional Intelligence in Organizations at what university?
3. Walter Mischel works as a psychologist at what university?
4. According to the author in Part Two: Chapter 6, “The Master Aptitude,” the superior achievement of Asian-Americans comes more from what than from IQ?
5. What kind of specialist is Joseph LeDoux?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does researcher Paul Ekman describe his three “display rules” for emotions in Part Two: Chapter 8, “The Social Arts”?
2. What did William Pithers discover about empathy in psychopaths, according to the author in Part Two: Chapter 7, “The Roots of Empathy”?
3. What are positive uses of emotion, according to the author in Part Two: Chapter 6, “The Master Aptitude”?
4. Psychologists Lizabeth Roemer and Thomas Borkovecresearched worry and recommend two steps to reverse the worry habit. How are these described in Part Two: Chapter 5, “Passion's Slaves”?
5. What test of Robert Rosenthal’s is described in Part Two: Chapter 7, “The Roots of Empathy”? How is the test described?
6. How is alexithymia defined in Part Two: Chapter 4, “Know Thyself”? Who coined this term?
7. What term does Dr. Antonio Damasio give for “gut feelings”? What is their importance?
8. What are the impacts of extreme emotions, according to the author in Part Two: Chapter 5, “Passion's Slaves”? What is the opposite called?
9. What discovery did Walter Mischel make through his experiments in the 1960s?
10. What discovery did Joseph LeDoux make in the study of emotional hijacking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Intelligence Quotient and Emotional Intelligence. How has emotional intelligence been regarded traditionally in education? How is this changing? What are the benefits of each of these facets of the human personality? How may each be used to determine success in life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Binet Intelligence Test and its accuracy in determining intelligence. When was the test developed? How has it evolved? Who developed it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the research of Doff Zillmann and his studies at the University of Alabama. What did Zillmann discover to be the trigger for anger? Is this theory contested? What methods does Zillmann give for diffusing anger?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)