|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Psychologists Daniel Weinberger and Richard Davidson researched what group of people who appear to tune-out their emotions?
2. Psychologists Lizabeth Roemer and Thomas Borkovec work at what university?
3. What notable book did psychiatrist Daniel Stern write?
4. Joseph LeDoux works at the Center for Neural Science at what institution?
5. Alexithymia refers to a state of deficiency in understanding, processing, or describing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does researcher Paul Ekman describe his three “display rules” for emotions in Part Two: Chapter 8, “The Social Arts”?
2. What are positive uses of emotion, according to the author in Part Two: Chapter 6, “The Master Aptitude”?
3. What test did Walter Mischel devise in the 1960s? How is the test described in Part Two: Chapter 6, “The Master Aptitude”?
4. What is the purpose of the neocortex? When was the neocortex developed in mammals?
5. Psychologist John Mayer, of the University of New Hampshire, names three styles of handling one's emotions. How are these described in Part Two: Chapter 4, “Know Thyself”?
6. What term does Dr. Antonio Damasio give for “gut feelings”? What is their importance?
7. What discovery did Joseph LeDoux make in the study of emotional hijacking?
8. What discovery did Walter Mischel make through his experiments in the 1960s?
9. What did Daniel Stern term the process of reinforcing empathy in children? How is this defined in Part Two: Chapter 7, “The Roots of Empathy”?
10. Psychologists Lizabeth Roemer and Thomas Borkovecresearched worry and recommend two steps to reverse the worry habit. How are these described in Part Two: Chapter 5, “Passion's Slaves”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the five categories of knowing one’s emotions devised by Peter Salovey and John Mayer. What are examples of each of these categories? How can these skills be improved upon?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between psychopathic individuals and empathy. How does William Pithers suggest psychopaths can learn empathy? What examples does he use? Are there opposing viewpoints to his findings?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the work of Harry Levinson. What advice does Levinson give his clients as a corporate consultant? What are the effects of bad management? How does Levinson suggest managers approach employees?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)