|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. John Gottman and a colleague identified the three most toxic parenting styles. Which is the first discussed in Part Four: Chapter 12, “The Family Crucible”?
(a) Over acknowledgment of feelings.
(b) Ignoring feelings altogether.
(c) Showing no respect for the child’s feelings.
(d) Being too laissez-faire.
2. Marriages that began in 1990 suffered a divorce rate of what percentage, according to the author in Part Three: Chapter 9, “Intimate Enemies”?
3. In the study at Bell Labs, the star performers were identified as the ones who know the value of building what, according to the author in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”?
(a) Objective thinking.
(c) Informal networks.
4. Dr. Charles Nemeroff is best known for his work in treating what?
(d) Ekbom syndrome.
5. What psychologist tracked 200 couples identifying significant signs that predict which marriages will fail based on how they handle disagreements?
(a) Howard Gardner.
(b) Peter Sifneos.
(c) Thomas Hatch.
(d) John Gottman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Corporate consultant and psychoanalyst Harry Levinson advises managers on how to coach employees. What is the first piece of advice he gives?
2. Children who are disciplined irregularly or based on the mood of the parents learn what that can follow them through life, according to the author in Part Four: Chapter 12, “The Family Crucible”?
3. According to the author in “Part Three: Chapter 9, “Intimate Enemies,” boys honor independence while girls treasure what?
4. T. Berry Brazelton is a pediatrician from what institution?
5. Where did Dr. Charles Nemeroff earn his Ph.D. in neurobiology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why four temperamental types are described in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”? Who identified these types?
2. What biological explanation does Dr. Charles Nemeroff give for PTSD in Part Four: Chapter 13, “Trauma and Emotional Relearning”?
3. What can cause post-traumatic stress disorder in children? What makes a difference in a child’s ability to overcome PTSD?
4. Harvard pediatrician T. Berry Brazelton found through research that a child's readiness for learning is based on seven key factors. What are they?
5. What impact does abuse have on a child’s perceptions of empathy?
6. What impacts do stress and anxiety have on the body, according to Bruce McEven?
7. What advice does Harry Levinson give to managers on coaching employees in Part Three: Chapter 10, “Managing with Heart”?
8. What did Richard Davidson discover as a link to temperament? How is this link described in Part Four: Chapter 14, “Temperament Is Not Destiny”?
9. What is the impact of post-traumatic stress disorder in children, according to the author in Part Four: Chapter 13, “Trauma and Emotional Relearning”?
10. What did Leslie Brody and Judith Hall discover about the developmental differences between boys and girls?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)