|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Joseph LeDoux works at the Center for Neural Science at what institution?
(a) The University of Wisconsin.
(b) The University of Washington.
(c) New York University.
(d) Pennsylvania State University.
2. Emotions, like instincts, have helped humans survive by doing what, according to the author in Part One: Chapter 1, “What Are Emotions For?”
(a) Creating a universal language for all humans.
(b) Encouraging relationships.
(c) Driving them to action.
(d) Portraying strength.
3. Emotionally abused children develop keen skills in interpreting the moods of others as a means of what, according to the author in Part Two: Chapter 7, “The Roots of Empathy”?
4. Decision making involves balancing the emotional and the what?
5. What is medically recognized as a mental and emotional condition in which a person experiences intense feelings of depression, discontent and indifference to the world around them?
(b) Bipolar disorder
(d) Narcissistic personality disorder.
6. Dr. Antonio Damasio studied patients who suffered damage to what?
(a) The limbic system.
(b) The neocortex.
(c) The brainstem.
(d) Their prefrontal-amygdala circuit.
7. Charisma combines four separate interpersonal intelligence components. What is the first?
(a) Personal connection.
(b) Social analysis.
(c) Organizing groups.
(d) Negotiating solutions.
8. Charisma combines four separate interpersonal intelligence components. What is the third?
(a) Negotiating solutions.
(b) Organizing groups.
(c) Personal connection.
(d) Social analysis.
9. Psychologists Lizabeth Roemer and Thomas Borkovec work at what university?
(a) New York University.
(b) Pennsylvania State University.
(c) The University of Iowa.
(d) Yale University.
10. Alexithymia refers to a state of deficiency in understanding, processing, or describing what?
11. What does “IQ” stand for?
(a) Insomnia Quotient.
(b) Indirect Question.
(c) Infinity Question.
(d) Intelligence Quotient.
12. What type of specialist is Dr. Antonio Damasio?
13. The left and right pre-frontal lobes of the brain’s cortex balance the emotional responses of what?
(a) The olfactory lobe.
(b) The amygdala.
(c) The hippocampus.
(d) The neocortex.
14. John Mayer is a psychologist at what institution?
(a) The University of New Hampshire.
(b) New York University.
(c) Claremont Graduate University.
(d) Columbia University.
15. When was Alfred Binet born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Researcher Ulf Dimberg found that expressions of emotion are contagious with the transfer of mood coming from the more what person to others?
2. What kind of specialist is Joseph LeDoux?
3. Worriers believe they are planning ahead to ward off danger, but in fact, the act of worrying prevents them from what, according to the author?
4. What is the specialization of Howard Gardner?
5. What name refers to the groups of nuclei in the limbic system which store emotional memory assigning meaning to feelings?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)