|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most famous method of acquiring a guardian animal spirit?
2. In what form will an apprentice shaman see an animal upon entering Lowerworld during the power restoration exercise?
3. Power practice involves the use of power objects, which almost always are:
4. An especially powerful type of power object is the quartz crystal, which a shaman often associates with:
5. After the power animal in the Lowerworld alerts the shaman that it is ready to accompany him or her, what is the shaman supposed to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
2. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
3. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
4. What are power objects, and what are they for?
5. What is the bone game?
6. What is a vision quest?
7. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
8. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
9. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
10. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of guardian spirits, spirit helpers, and power animals. Do you feel there is a significant difference between these entities? How do they differ? In what ways are they similar? Cite three separate instances showing when a shaman would call upon one particular entity over the other two.
Essay Topic 2
Harner states that whether the shaman is working in ordinary or non-ordinary reality, the experience is real and healing takes place in both realms. Explain what makes the non-ordinary experience real. Then, answer the following: how does healing occur when the shaman is working in non-ordinary reality?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast shamanistic techniques for healing with traditional Western medicine practices. In our current society, is there room for both modalities to complement each other? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)