|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The shamans among Scandinavian Laps often become what?
2. Often, a patient already has the following with a returned power animal:
3. When the Coastal Salish wear masks and dance their spirit guardians, what does Harner call this practice?
4. How do power animals reveal themselves and their special powers?
5. During their "dreamtime," Australian Aruntas often become what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe similarities middle-class Americans who try shamanism report regarding the portal to Lowerworld and their firsthand experiences in non-ordinary reality. Why does the author emphasize these similarities? What do they convey regarding the nature of shamanism?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast shamanistic techniques for healing with traditional Western medicine practices. In our current society, is there room for both modalities to complement each other? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)