|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must a shaman not send power directly to the patient?
2. A shaman can be open to attacks when what is not present?
3. An especially powerful type of power object is the quartz crystal, which a shaman often associates with:
4. While in the Lowerworld on a journey to restore power, how will the shaman know if a power animal is ready to accompany the seeker?
5. When the apprentice shaman emerges from the tunnel and enters Lowerworld, what animal does Harner say the participant will never see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
2. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
3. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
4. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
5. How can a shaman tell whether or not an individual has a guardian spirit?
6. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
7. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
8. What is a vision quest?
9. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
10. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harner names humility, respect for nature, and the ability to honor an experience as three traits needed by a good shaman. Explain why each is important in shamanic practices. How do the three traits work together to help the shaman? the patient?
Essay Topic 2
Harner states that whether the shaman is working in ordinary or non-ordinary reality, the experience is real and healing takes place in both realms. Explain what makes the non-ordinary experience real. Then, answer the following: how does healing occur when the shaman is working in non-ordinary reality?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the purpose of the shaman working with the following conditions or tools:
1. In total or partial darkness.
2. With drumming, chanting, and rattles.
3. Using plants.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)