|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Jivaro tradition, the identity of a power animal is what?
2. Harner notes that in modern technology, quartz crystals are used in what?
3. When the Coastal Salish wear masks and dance their spirit guardians, what does Harner call this practice?
4. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
5. In some traditions, how is a quartz crystal recharged?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
Essay Topic 2
In the past, and even today, some traditional world religions look unfavorably upon shamanism. Explain what some traditional religions believe about shamanistic practices. How might world cultures advance if greater tolerance and acceptance was practiced towards shamanic peoples? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe similarities middle-class Americans who try shamanism report regarding the portal to Lowerworld and their firsthand experiences in non-ordinary reality. Why does the author emphasize these similarities? What do they convey regarding the nature of shamanism?
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)