|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Natural Magick" in 1562?
2. Among some Plains Indians tribes, it is believed that those who don't have a guardian animal spirit lack what?
3. After the power animal in the Lowerworld alerts the shaman that it is ready to accompany him or her, what is the shaman supposed to do?
4. Harner repeatedly emphasizes that not all shamanic experiences involve drugs and instead rely on what?
5. Why must a shaman not send power directly to the patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
2. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
3. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
4. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
5. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
6. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
7. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
8. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
9. How can a shaman tell whether or not an individual has a guardian spirit?
10. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process and procedure of extracting an intrusion and the role plants play. Why is intrusion extraction considered an advanced shamanic practice?
Essay Topic 3
Why would a Westerner with no prior experience with shamanistic practices develop an interest in them? How might he or she benefit from knowing and practicing some of these rituals? What precautions might he or she need to take?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)