|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a guardian spirit animal encountered in Lowerworld often communicate with the shaman?
2. When a shaman delivers the spirit of a power animal into the patient, he or she also:
3. On the guided power restoration journey that involves descending down a tunnel, the author cautions against encountering:
4. Many traditions speak of the mythical past when animals could:
5. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a vision quest?
2. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
3. What is the bone game?
4. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
5. What does Harner recommend for novice shamans trying to communicate with guardian spirit animals?
6. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
7. What are power objects, and what are they for?
8. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
9. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
10. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important job the shaman does is restore power to a sick individual by retrieving his or her power animal.
1. Define power in the context of shamanism. What is its importance or value?
2. How does the presence or absence of power affect the health and welfare of a person?
3. How does a power animal help an individual? What happens when the person "loses" his or her power animal?
4. How does a shaman's act of retrieving a power animal help a patient?
Essay Topic 2
In the past, and even today, some traditional world religions look unfavorably upon shamanism. Explain what some traditional religions believe about shamanistic practices. How might world cultures advance if greater tolerance and acceptance was practiced towards shamanic peoples? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the deep connection between animals and a shaman.How do the special talents associated with a specific species assist a shaman? Offer examples. Can a shaman do his or her work effectively if this connection was not in place? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)