|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most cultures believe that a shaman can have how many guardian animals at a time?
2. What do the Jivaro see in someone who possesses a guardian?
3. While in the Lowerworld on a journey to restore power, how will the shaman know if a power animal is ready to accompany the seeker?
4. Harner presents one shaman's drawings of the tunnel to Lowerworld. What does it look like?
5. When first communicating with a guardian spirit animal, what does the author recommend novices do before engaging in detailed conversations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
2. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
3. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
4. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
5. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
6. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
7. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
8. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
9. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
10. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why would a Westerner with no prior experience with shamanistic practices develop an interest in them? How might he or she benefit from knowing and practicing some of these rituals? What precautions might he or she need to take?
Essay Topic 2
In the past, and even today, some traditional world religions look unfavorably upon shamanism. Explain what some traditional religions believe about shamanistic practices. How might world cultures advance if greater tolerance and acceptance was practiced towards shamanic peoples? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the purpose of the shaman working with the following conditions or tools:
1. In total or partial darkness.
2. With drumming, chanting, and rattles.
3. Using plants.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)