|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What element is often reported in many successful guardian spirit journeys?
2. Power practice involves the use of power objects, which almost always are:
3. When the Coastal Salish wear masks and dance their spirit guardians, what does Harner call this practice?
4. A shocked power animal may do what?
5. Harner indicates that a tonal animal is linked to someone's fate in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
2. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
3. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
4. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
5. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
6. What does Harner recommend for novice shamans trying to communicate with guardian spirit animals?
7. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
8. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
9. What is a vision quest?
10. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe similarities middle-class Americans who try shamanism report regarding the portal to Lowerworld and their firsthand experiences in non-ordinary reality. Why does the author emphasize these similarities? What do they convey regarding the nature of shamanism?
Essay Topic 2
When the shaman journeys to the Lowerworld, he or she passes through a portal that has a physical component and an imagined aspect. Both are significant to the shaman. Answer the following:
1. What might the Lowerworld portal look like in ordinary or physical reality?
2. How have different shamans seen the portal in non-ordinary reality?
3. What is the significance of passing through the portal into the Lowerworld?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast a shaman's power song with ONE of the following: a school fight song, a lullaby, or a love song.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)