|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
2. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
3. How do power animals reveal themselves and their special powers?
4. Most cultures believe that a shaman can have how many guardian animals at a time?
5. A shaman's quartz crystals typically are hidden from what?
Essay Topic 1
The author strives to show commonalities between the world's various shamanic traditions and systems.
Part 1) Describe spiritual and practical commonalities Harner describes between different shamanic traditions.
Part 2) Why do you think there are similarities in shamanism even between cultures that are geographically separated and have had no contact with each other?
Essay Topic 2
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
Essay Topic 3
When the shaman journeys to the Lowerworld, he or she passes through a portal that has a physical component and an imagined aspect. Both are significant to the shaman. Answer the following:
1. What might the Lowerworld portal look like in ordinary or physical reality?
2. How have different shamans seen the portal in non-ordinary reality?
3. What is the significance of passing through the portal into the Lowerworld?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)