|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the 1562 book, "Natural Magick," make reference to shamans?
2. What position does Harner recommend for a beginning shaman learning power restoration techniques?
3. How many guardian animals does a person have in a lifetime?
4. The shamans among Scandinavian Laps often become what?
5. Among the Coastal Salish, animals that become human are called what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
2. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
3. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
4. What is the bone game?
5. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
6. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
7. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
8. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
9. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
10. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Find contemporary similarities to the following scenarios and, for each one, draw comparisons between the shamanic practice and its contemporary counterpart:
1. A shaman consults with his or her animal guardian.
2. A shaman refrains from healing when he or she feels dis-spirited.
3. A shaman relies on synchronicities to determine whether or not he or she is on the right track.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the purpose of the shaman working with the following conditions or tools:
1. In total or partial darkness.
2. With drumming, chanting, and rattles.
3. Using plants.
Essay Topic 3
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)