|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does Harner recommend for a beginning shaman learning power restoration techniques?
2. When first communicating with a guardian spirit animal, what does the author recommend novices do before engaging in detailed conversations?
3. According to Harner, what are "big dreams?"
4. What element is often reported in many successful guardian spirit journeys?
5. A shaman's quartz crystals typically are hidden from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
2. What is a vision quest?
3. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
4. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
5. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
6. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
7. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
8. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
9. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
10. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author strives to show commonalities between the world's various shamanic traditions and systems.
Part 1) Describe spiritual and practical commonalities Harner describes between different shamanic traditions.
Part 2) Why do you think there are similarities in shamanism even between cultures that are geographically separated and have had no contact with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Harner explains that in most shamanic cultures, it's important that people are woken up slowly. Explain why. Also, explain the connection between the belief that power animals travel and the reason for waking someone up gradually.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)