|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must a shaman not send power directly to the patient?
2. In Harner's power restoration exercise for apprentice shamans, he instructs the participant to use the drumbeat as what?
3. A shocked power animal may do what?
4. Harner notes that in modern technology, quartz crystals are used in what?
5. What does Harner recommend to a shaman student if he or she meets frightening creatures, such as fanged serpents or fish with teeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
2. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
3. What are power objects, and what are they for?
4. What is a vision quest?
5. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
6. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
7. What does Harner recommend for novice shamans trying to communicate with guardian spirit animals?
8. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
9. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
10. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe similarities middle-class Americans who try shamanism report regarding the portal to Lowerworld and their firsthand experiences in non-ordinary reality. Why does the author emphasize these similarities? What do they convey regarding the nature of shamanism?
Essay Topic 2
When the shaman journeys to the Lowerworld, he or she passes through a portal that has a physical component and an imagined aspect. Both are significant to the shaman. Answer the following:
1. What might the Lowerworld portal look like in ordinary or physical reality?
2. How have different shamans seen the portal in non-ordinary reality?
3. What is the significance of passing through the portal into the Lowerworld?
Essay Topic 3
Define, compare, and contrast the shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) and the ordinary state of consciousness (OSC).
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)