|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the 1562 book, "Natural Magick," make reference to shamans?
2. Myths and stories that have been passed down typically refer to:
3. Among some Plains Indians tribes, it is believed that those who don't have a guardian animal spirit lack what?
4. Harner indicates that a tonal animal is linked to someone's fate in what?
5. When first communicating with a guardian spirit animal, what does the author recommend novices do before engaging in detailed conversations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
2. What are power objects, and what are they for?
3. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
4. What is a vision quest?
5. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
6. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
7. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
8. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
9. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
10. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why would a Westerner with no prior experience with shamanistic practices develop an interest in them? How might he or she benefit from knowing and practicing some of these rituals? What precautions might he or she need to take?
Essay Topic 2
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the process and procedure of extracting an intrusion and the role plants play. Why is intrusion extraction considered an advanced shamanic practice?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)