|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Jivaro do so that newborns can see their guardians?
2. Many traditions speak of the mythical past when animals could:
3. Why do the Jivaro and other shamanic tribes believe in waking up a person gently?
4. A shaman's quartz crystals typically are hidden from what?
5. Does a guardian spirit have the freedom to leave or stay at will?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
2. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
3. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
4. What are power objects, and what are they for?
5. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
6. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
7. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
8. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
9. How can a shaman tell whether or not an individual has a guardian spirit?
10. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author strives to show commonalities between the world's various shamanic traditions and systems.
Part 1) Describe spiritual and practical commonalities Harner describes between different shamanic traditions.
Part 2) Why do you think there are similarities in shamanism even between cultures that are geographically separated and have had no contact with each other?
Essay Topic 2
An important job the shaman does is restore power to a sick individual by retrieving his or her power animal.
1. Define power in the context of shamanism. What is its importance or value?
2. How does the presence or absence of power affect the health and welfare of a person?
3. How does a power animal help an individual? What happens when the person "loses" his or her power animal?
4. How does a shaman's act of retrieving a power animal help a patient?
Essay Topic 3
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)