|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Frequently, a patient has bonded with his or her power animal in:
2. A restless power animal may develop what?
3. When the Coastal Salish wear masks and dance their spirit guardians, what does Harner call this practice?
4. Harner writes in Chapter 5 that power helps a person resist or dispel what?
5. For the Jivaro, where do guardian spirits reside primarily?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are power objects, and what are they for?
2. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
3. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
4. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
5. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
6. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
7. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
8. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
9. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
10. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
An important job the shaman does is restore power to a sick individual by retrieving his or her power animal.
1. Define power in the context of shamanism. What is its importance or value?
2. How does the presence or absence of power affect the health and welfare of a person?
3. How does a power animal help an individual? What happens when the person "loses" his or her power animal?
4. How does a shaman's act of retrieving a power animal help a patient?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast a shaman's power song with ONE of the following: a school fight song, a lullaby, or a love song.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)