|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can a shaman go to retrieve a lost power animal?
2. Harner repeatedly emphasizes that not all shamanic experiences involve drugs and instead rely on what?
3. Why does Harner state that it doesn't matter whether the animal that has appeared is fierce or gentle?
4. Harner notes that in modern technology, quartz crystals are used in what?
5. Frequently, a patient has bonded with his or her power animal in:
Short Essay Questions
1. How can a shaman tell whether or not an individual has a guardian spirit?
2. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
3. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
4. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
5. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
6. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
7. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
8. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
9. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
10. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of guardian spirits, spirit helpers, and power animals. Do you feel there is a significant difference between these entities? How do they differ? In what ways are they similar? Cite three separate instances showing when a shaman would call upon one particular entity over the other two.
Essay Topic 2
When the shaman journeys to the Lowerworld, he or she passes through a portal that has a physical component and an imagined aspect. Both are significant to the shaman. Answer the following:
1. What might the Lowerworld portal look like in ordinary or physical reality?
2. How have different shamans seen the portal in non-ordinary reality?
3. What is the significance of passing through the portal into the Lowerworld?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast shamanistic techniques for healing with traditional Western medicine practices. In our current society, is there room for both modalities to complement each other? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)