|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is a shamanic state of consciousness, or SSC, achieved?
2. Which of the following does NOT help a shaman enter a shamanic state of consciousness?
3. Shamans pass through what kind of planes?
4. While working, why must a shaman remain lightly connected to the material environment?
5. How do spirit helpers assist the shaman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss what Harner says about the humility of shamanism?
2. What does a shaman do with the tsentak to help a patient?
3. What is the practice of rock-seeing?
4. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
5. What are other names the author mentions for guardian spirits, and what cultures call them by these alternate names?
6. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
7. Harner emphasizes in Chapter 1 that becoming a shaman involves what?
8. What does the author say shamans feel about what they see in the non-ordinary reality or shamanic state of consciousness (SSC)?
9. Harner compares rock-seeing to what Western practices?
10. Who is Akachu, and how does he help Harner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Why would a Westerner with no prior experience with shamanistic practices develop an interest in them? How might he or she benefit from knowing and practicing some of these rituals? What precautions might he or she need to take?
Essay Topic 3
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)