|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What similarity does Harner point out between shamanism and science?
2. During the Lakota practice of rock-seeing, a shaman considers a problem while walking through what?
3. Shamans pass through what kind of planes?
4. Included in the reports from participants of Harner's first guided shamanic exercise are:
5. What is the role of amnesia in a shaman's rituals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
2. Prompted by similarities he found in books and accounts about shamanic experiences, what did Harner decide to do in order to learn more about shamanism?
3. Explain the connection between an individual and his or her guardian spirit.
4. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
5. Why does the author find it encouraging for Westerners that not all tribes use drugs in their shamanic practices?
6. Describe the roles of drumming and rattling in a shaman's work.
7. In the step-by-step instructions for going on a first shamanic journey that the author supplies for the reader in Chapter 2, how does he ask the participant to prepare?
8. What are some of the similarities Harner notes in first-hand shamanic experiences reported by middle-class Americans?
9. How and why is a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) achieved?
10. What is the practice of rock-seeing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harner names humility, respect for nature, and the ability to honor an experience as three traits needed by a good shaman. Explain why each is important in shamanic practices. How do the three traits work together to help the shaman? the patient?
Essay Topic 2
When the shaman journeys to the Lowerworld, he or she passes through a portal that has a physical component and an imagined aspect. Both are significant to the shaman. Answer the following:
1. What might the Lowerworld portal look like in ordinary or physical reality?
2. How have different shamans seen the portal in non-ordinary reality?
3. What is the significance of passing through the portal into the Lowerworld?
Essay Topic 3
Harner states that whether the shaman is working in ordinary or non-ordinary reality, the experience is real and healing takes place in both realms. Explain what makes the non-ordinary experience real. Then, answer the following: how does healing occur when the shaman is working in non-ordinary reality?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)