|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Included in the reports from participants of Harner's first guided shamanic exercise are:
2. In his guided, step-by-step instructions for a first journey, Harner instructs the aspiring shaman to eat:
3. To learn more about shamanism, what does Harner do?
4. Shamans from Venezuela, North America, Australia, and other regions all report having similar what?
5. Harner asks aspiring shamans to refrain from:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say shamans feel about what they see in the non-ordinary reality or shamanic state of consciousness (SSC)?
2. In the step-by-step instructions for going on a first shamanic journey that the author supplies for the reader in Chapter 2, how does he ask the participant to prepare?
3. What is the practice of rock-seeing?
4. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
5. Describe the roles of drumming and rattling in a shaman's work.
6. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
7. What does Akachu question when he and Harner are getting to know each other?
8. Prompted by similarities he found in books and accounts about shamanic experiences, what did Harner decide to do in order to learn more about shamanism?
9. Harner emphasizes in Chapter 1 that becoming a shaman involves what?
10. Discuss what Harner says about the humility of shamanism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the process and procedure of extracting an intrusion and the role plants play. Why is intrusion extraction considered an advanced shamanic practice?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast shamanistic techniques for healing with traditional Western medicine practices. In our current society, is there room for both modalities to complement each other? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Harner states that whether the shaman is working in ordinary or non-ordinary reality, the experience is real and healing takes place in both realms. Explain what makes the non-ordinary experience real. Then, answer the following: how does healing occur when the shaman is working in non-ordinary reality?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)