|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harner explains that some shamanic students report using caves as:
2. In a drug-induced vision, Harner sees demons as:
3. It is typical for one or more spirits to help guide the shaman through what?
4. How do shamans use their guardian spirits?
5. Which of the following is NOT a purpose for entering a shamanic state of consciousness?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
2. Why does the author find it encouraging for Westerners that not all tribes use drugs in their shamanic practices?
3. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
4. Harner emphasizes in Chapter 1 that becoming a shaman involves what?
5. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
6. How and why is a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) achieved?
7. What does Akachu question when he and Harner are getting to know each other?
8. Harner compares rock-seeing to what Western practices?
9. Prompted by similarities he found in books and accounts about shamanic experiences, what did Harner decide to do in order to learn more about shamanism?
10. What are the main functions and activities of a shaman, as described in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the purpose of the shaman working with the following conditions or tools:
1. In total or partial darkness.
2. With drumming, chanting, and rattles.
3. Using plants.
Essay Topic 2
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
Essay Topic 3
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)