|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Conibo access the Lowerworld?
2. Harner's reports of the rituals, symbols, and visions of the different tribes he observes are what?
3. A shaman might enter a shamanic state of consciousness to bring back messages for whom?
4. The author shows that all religious traditions share:
5. At the conclusion of the rock-seeing process, after the shaman turns the stones around and examines all sides, what does the shaman do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the first shamanic journey exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 2.
2. In the step-by-step instructions for going on a first shamanic journey that the author supplies for the reader in Chapter 2, how does he ask the participant to prepare?
3. Discuss what Harner says about the humility of shamanism?
4. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
5. Describe the spirit helpers known as tsentak.
6. Describe the roles of drumming and rattling in a shaman's work.
7. What does the author say shamans feel about what they see in the non-ordinary reality or shamanic state of consciousness (SSC)?
8. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
9. What are other names the author mentions for guardian spirits, and what cultures call them by these alternate names?
10. How does a shaman take care of his or her tsentak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important job the shaman does is restore power to a sick individual by retrieving his or her power animal.
1. Define power in the context of shamanism. What is its importance or value?
2. How does the presence or absence of power affect the health and welfare of a person?
3. How does a power animal help an individual? What happens when the person "loses" his or her power animal?
4. How does a shaman's act of retrieving a power animal help a patient?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast a shaman's power song with ONE of the following: a school fight song, a lullaby, or a love song.
Essay Topic 3
When the shaman journeys to the Lowerworld, he or she passes through a portal that has a physical component and an imagined aspect. Both are significant to the shaman. Answer the following:
1. What might the Lowerworld portal look like in ordinary or physical reality?
2. How have different shamans seen the portal in non-ordinary reality?
3. What is the significance of passing through the portal into the Lowerworld?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)