|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harner asserts that shamanism transcends any particular what?
2. How is a shamanic state of consciousness, or SSC, achieved?
3. What do various cultures report noticing the shaman give off when in a shamanic state of consciousness?
4. What does Harner say that middle-class Americans report experiencing on their shamanic attempts?
5. The author emphasizes that not all tribes use what in their shamanic practices?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author say shamans feel about what they see in the non-ordinary reality or shamanic state of consciousness (SSC)?
2. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
3. How old is shamanism, and what cultures have best preserved this practice?
4. In the step-by-step instructions for going on a first shamanic journey that the author supplies for the reader in Chapter 2, how does he ask the participant to prepare?
5. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
6. Harner compares rock-seeing to what Western practices?
7. What are the main functions and activities of a shaman, as described in Chapter 3?
8. What does a shaman do with the tsentak to help a patient?
9. What are other names the author mentions for guardian spirits, and what cultures call them by these alternate names?
10. How does a shaman take care of his or her tsentak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Find contemporary similarities to the following scenarios and, for each one, draw comparisons between the shamanic practice and its contemporary counterpart:
1. A shaman consults with his or her animal guardian.
2. A shaman refrains from healing when he or she feels dis-spirited.
3. A shaman relies on synchronicities to determine whether or not he or she is on the right track.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the purpose of the shaman working with the following conditions or tools:
1. In total or partial darkness.
2. With drumming, chanting, and rattles.
3. Using plants.
Essay Topic 3
In the past, and even today, some traditional world religions look unfavorably upon shamanism. Explain what some traditional religions believe about shamanistic practices. How might world cultures advance if greater tolerance and acceptance was practiced towards shamanic peoples? Explain and support your answer.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)