Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working, why must a shaman remain lightly connected to the material environment?
2. How do shamans use their guardian spirits?
3. Master shamans focus on a triumvirate which is composed of what?
4. Shamans from Venezuela, North America, Australia, and other regions all report having similar what?
5. What is the purpose of rattles used during a shaman's work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
2. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
3. Describe the roles of drumming and rattling in a shaman's work.
4. What connection does Harner see between shamanistic practices and Western medicine?
5. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
6. Explain the connection between an individual and his or her guardian spirit.
7. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
8. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
9. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
10. How does a shaman take care of his or her tsentak?
Describe the journey the author takes with Akachu, the Jivaro shaman, detailed in Chapter 1. Can you tell which parts of the journey are literal and which are figurative? What clues reveal the literary portions? The figurative parts?
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
In the past, and even today, some traditional world religions look unfavorably upon shamanism. Explain what some traditional religions believe about shamanistic practices. How might world cultures advance if greater tolerance and acceptance was practiced towards shamanic peoples? Explain and support your answer.
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)