|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Harner include the examples of the Lakota Sioux and Coast Salish tribes for Westerners in particular?
2. Why is Harner afraid to take maikua?
3. Harner explains that some shamanic students report using caves as:
4. How does the author describe his world during a shamanic state of consciousness?
5. Harner asks aspiring shamans to refrain from:
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) achieved?
2. Describe Harner's experience of spiritually going to a cave beneath a waterfall with a Jivaro shaman.
3. Summarize the first shamanic journey exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 2.
4. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
5. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
6. Explain the connection between an individual and his or her guardian spirit.
7. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
8. What does a shaman do with the tsentak to help a patient?
9. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
10. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An important job the shaman does is restore power to a sick individual by retrieving his or her power animal.
1. Define power in the context of shamanism. What is its importance or value?
2. How does the presence or absence of power affect the health and welfare of a person?
3. How does a power animal help an individual? What happens when the person "loses" his or her power animal?
4. How does a shaman's act of retrieving a power animal help a patient?
Essay Topic 2
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
Essay Topic 3
Why would a Westerner with no prior experience with shamanistic practices develop an interest in them? How might he or she benefit from knowing and practicing some of these rituals? What precautions might he or she need to take?
This section contains 1,692 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)