Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harner compare his near-death experience with the Conibo to?
2. Harner asserts that shamanism has advanced in areas without technological innovations because:
3. In his attempt to find spirit helpers with the assistance of a Jivaro shaman from Ecuador, what does the author do?
4. When the shaman is in an altered state, how does healing take place?
5. What does Harner suggest is the purpose of songs during a shamanic journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harner say that a shaman can be distinguished from other medicine men?
2. Why does the author find it encouraging for Westerners that not all tribes use drugs in their shamanic practices?
3. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
4. Describe the spirit helpers known as tsentak.
5. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
6. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
7. Harner compares rock-seeing to what Western practices?
8. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
9. What does Akachu question when he and Harner are getting to know each other?
10. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
Essay Topic 1
Harner asserts that the less technologically advanced a society is, the more advanced it is in its shamanic practices. Do you feel his assessment is accurate? Why or why not? Supply examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of guardian spirits, spirit helpers, and power animals. Do you feel there is a significant difference between these entities? How do they differ? In what ways are they similar? Cite three separate instances showing when a shaman would call upon one particular entity over the other two.
Essay Topic 3
The author thoroughly explains numerous details of shamanism, but two areas he doesn't cover in as much detail are how and why shamanism works. Offer your own explanations to fill in the blanks. How do you think shamanism works? Why does it work?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)