|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his attempt to find spirit helpers with the assistance of a Jivaro shaman from Ecuador, what does the author do?
2. Harner asks aspiring shamans to refrain from:
3. In rock-seeing, a shaman takes two rocks, sits with them, poses a question, and then examines the stones for what?
4. The author emphasizes that not all tribes use what in their shamanic practices?
5. How do spirit helpers assist the shaman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harner say that a shaman can be distinguished from other medicine men?
2. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
3. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
4. How do the Lakota Sioux and the Jivaro use tobacco to remove intrusions from a patient?
5. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
6. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
7. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
8. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
9. Prompted by similarities he found in books and accounts about shamanic experiences, what did Harner decide to do in order to learn more about shamanism?
10. After passing his or her hand over the patient and detecting the location of the intrusion, what does the shaman do to help the patient?
Essay Topic 1
Describe similarities middle-class Americans who try shamanism report regarding the portal to Lowerworld and their firsthand experiences in non-ordinary reality. Why does the author emphasize these similarities? What do they convey regarding the nature of shamanism?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast shamanistic techniques for healing with traditional Western medicine practices. In our current society, is there room for both modalities to complement each other? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Define, compare, and contrast the shamanic state of consciousness (SSC) and the ordinary state of consciousness (OSC).
This section contains 1,677 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)