|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Jivaro shaman help Harner acquire?
2. The author shows that all religious traditions share:
3. What is the role of amnesia in a shaman's rituals?
4. To learn more about shamanism, what does Harner do?
5. What does Harner point out about the Lakota Sioux and the Coast Salish tribes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the practice of rock-seeing?
2. Describe an environment that's conducive to the shaman being most effective while in a shamanic state of consciousness (SSC).
3. What are the main functions and activities of a shaman, as described in Chapter 3?
4. How does a shaman take care of his or her tsentak?
5. Summarize the first shamanic journey exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 2.
6. Describe Harner's experience of spiritually going to a cave beneath a waterfall with a Jivaro shaman.
7. How does Harner say that a shaman can be distinguished from other medicine men?
8. Describe Harner's journey with Akachu.
9. Harner says that apprentice shamans report similarities in how they get out of difficulties. What are some of the difficulties he mentions?
10. Describe the tunnel a shaman utilizes to journey into the Lowerworld.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the past, and even today, some traditional world religions look unfavorably upon shamanism. Explain what some traditional religions believe about shamanistic practices. How might world cultures advance if greater tolerance and acceptance was practiced towards shamanic peoples? Explain and support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe similarities middle-class Americans who try shamanism report regarding the portal to Lowerworld and their firsthand experiences in non-ordinary reality. Why does the author emphasize these similarities? What do they convey regarding the nature of shamanism?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast a shaman's power song with ONE of the following: a school fight song, a lullaby, or a love song.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)