|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Jivaro tradition, the identity of a power animal is what?
(a) Revealed freely to everyone.
(b) Shared with the patient's spouse and children.
(c) Told to the patient's parents and siblings.
(d) Strictly hidden from others.
2. When the apprentice shaman emerges from the tunnel and enters Lowerworld, what animal does Harner say the participant will never see?
(a) A robin.
(b) An insect.
(c) A serpent.
(d) A whale.
3. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
(a) Read animals' minds.
(b) Gain acceptance by the animal kingdom.
(c) Transform into animals.
(d) Communicate with animals.
4. A shaman will blow a spirit animal into a patient through:
(a) The solar plexus.
(b) The forehead.
(c) The nose or the mouth.
(d) The chest or the back of the head.
5. How many guardian animals does a person have in a lifetime?
(a) A different one each year.
(b) Two or three.
(d) Only one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a guardian spirit animal encountered in Lowerworld often communicate with the shaman?
2. A shocked power animal may do what?
3. What do the Jivaro do so that newborns can see their guardians?
4. Why does Harner state that it doesn't matter whether the animal that has appeared is fierce or gentle?
5. During their "dreamtime," Australian Aruntas often become what?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
2. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
3. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
4. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
5. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
6. What is the bone game?
7. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
8. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
9. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
10. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)