|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
(a) Tapping with its foot or fin once for no and twice for yes.
(b) Entering the shaman's mind and communicating answers telepathically.
(c) Leading the shaman on a journey of experiences that ultimately answer that question.
(d) Shaking a rattle at different rates depending on the answer.
2. After a shaman successfully retrieves a patient's power animal from the Lowerworld, what's the next step?
(a) Asking the power animal to swallow the patient.
(b) Having the patient swallow the animal.
(c) Placing the animal on the patient's chest.
(d) Waiting for the animal to befriend the patient.
3. Often, a patient already has the following with a returned power animal:
(a) An agreement.
(b) An unusual connection.
(c) A spiritual bridge.
(d) A pre-determined destiny.
4. Particularly during the Inquisition, many Christian church leaders considered animal transformation to be what?
5. Harner writes in Chapter 5 that power helps a person resist or dispel what?
(a) Low energy.
(c) Malignant thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jivaro tradition, a shaman must seek out a guardian spirit how often?
2. What do the Jivaro do so that newborns can see their guardians?
3. A shaman will blow a spirit animal into a patient through:
4. Shamans believe that lethargic, sick adults can be made well by what?
5. Among the Coastal Salish, animals that become human are called what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are power objects, and what are they for?
2. What is the bone game?
3. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
4. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
5. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
6. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
7. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
8. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
9. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
10. How can a shaman tell whether or not an individual has a guardian spirit?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)