|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the exercise for restoring power presented to the reader, what happens when the participant emerges from the tunnel into Lowerworld?
(a) An animal guide will lead the way.
(b) An animal guide will initiate a power dance.
(c) A power animal will speak to the participant.
(d) A power animal will be recognized by seeing it four times.
2. In some traditions, how is a quartz crystal recharged?
(a) Cleansing in the ocean or a spring, then left out in the sun on the solstice.
(b) Leaving it out in an intense thunderstorm.
(c) Asking a power animal to dance with it in Lowerworld.
(d) Through a three-day ceremony of incense burning and constant chanting.
3. When the Coastal Salish wear masks and dance their spirit guardians, what does Harner call this practice?
(a) Calling the Spirits.
(b) Dancing with the Beasts.
(c) Calling the Beasts.
(d) Dancing with the Spirits.
4. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
(a) Shaking a rattle at different rates depending on the answer.
(b) Entering the shaman's mind and communicating answers telepathically.
(c) Leading the shaman on a journey of experiences that ultimately answer that question.
(d) Tapping with its foot or fin once for no and twice for yes.
5. What do the Jivaro see in someone who possesses a guardian?
(a) Sparks of pink light from the fingertips.
(b) A golden circle surrounding the person.
(c) A colorful aura around the head.
(d) An inverted rainbow in the chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most famous method of acquiring a guardian animal spirit?
2. Particularly during the Inquisition, many Christian church leaders considered animal transformation to be what?
3. How do power animals reveal themselves and their special powers?
4. When first communicating with a guardian spirit animal, what does the author recommend novices do before engaging in detailed conversations?
5. After a novice receives an answer from a guardian spirit animal, what does Harner recommend he or she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
2. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
3. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
4. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
5. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
6. What is a vision quest?
7. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
8. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
9. What are power objects, and what are they for?
10. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)