|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before trying to retrieve a power animal, the shaman needs what?
(a) A power song.
(b) Animal art.
(c) A power mask.
(d) Animal bones.
2. According to the author, restoring power requires restoring or acquiring what?
(a) Guardian tree sprite.
(b) Guardian water spirit.
(c) Power rock.
(d) Power animal.
3. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
(a) Gain acceptance by the animal kingdom.
(b) Transform into animals.
(c) Read animals' minds.
(d) Communicate with animals.
4. According to Harner, what are "big dreams?"
(a) Dreams that take the shaman to Starplanet.
(b) Dreams that take place in Lowerworld.
(c) Hopes and aspirations for a better life.
(d) Either recurring or extremely vivid dreams.
5. How do power animals reveal themselves and their special powers?
(a) By playing on the recipient's childhood fears.
(b) By singing a coded song understandable only to shamans.
(c) Either by a ghostly apparition or through blinding light.
(d) Either by speaking or by appearing in an abnormal way.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
2. When a power animal becomes human through a magical transformation, the animal becomes what for the shaman?
3. Most cultures believe that a shaman can have how many guardian animals at a time?
4. In some traditions, how is a quartz crystal recharged?
5. Power practice involves the use of power objects, which almost always are:
Short Essay Questions
1. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
2. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
3. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
4. What does Harner recommend for novice shamans trying to communicate with guardian spirit animals?
5. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
6. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
7. What is the bone game?
8. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
9. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
10. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)