|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their "dreamtime," Australian Aruntas often become what?
(a) Dolphin whales.
(d) Eagle hawks.
2. Harner indicates that a tonal animal is linked to someone's fate in what?
(a) Pre-adolescent years.
(b) Ordinary reality.
(c) Dream states.
(d) Shamanic states of consciousness.
3. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
(a) Communicate with animals.
(b) Transform into animals.
(c) Gain acceptance by the animal kingdom.
(d) Read animals' minds.
4. According to the author, restoring power requires restoring or acquiring what?
(a) Power animal.
(b) Power rock.
(c) Guardian tree sprite.
(d) Guardian water spirit.
5. How does a guardian spirit animal encountered in Lowerworld often communicate with the shaman?
(a) Through a language spoken only in Lowerworld.
(b) By singing a song.
(c) By moving its body in an unusual way.
(d) Through the spirit of a deceased loved one of the shaman.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a novice receives an answer from a guardian spirit animal, what does Harner recommend he or she do?
2. While in the Lowerworld with a power animal, what does a shamanic exercise participant accomplish by shaking a rattle quickly?
3. What do negative big dreams carry, according to the author?
4. The shamans among Scandinavian Laps often become what?
5. Harner writes in Chapter 5 that power helps a person resist or dispel what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a vision quest?
2. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
3. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
4. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
5. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
6. What does Harner recommend for novice shamans trying to communicate with guardian spirit animals?
7. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
8. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
9. What does Harner say about shamanism and synchronicity?
10. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)