|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the power animal in the Lowerworld alerts the shaman that it is ready to accompany him or her, what is the shaman supposed to do?
(a) Clasp the animal to the chest and, with the other hand, rattle quickly.
(b) Charge at the animal and chase it up the tunnel.
(c) Close his or her eyes and float back up the tunnel with the animal right behind.
(d) Bow down humbly and respectfully request that the animal accompany him or her.
2. What happens to a power object when it no longer moves a person emotionally?
(a) It is returned to nature.
(b) It is buried three feet underground.
(c) It is incorporated into a necklace.
(d) It is placed inside a rattle.
3. While in the Lowerworld on a journey to restore power, how will the shaman know if a power animal is ready to accompany the seeker?
(a) The animal will give off a faint glow.
(b) The animal will give signs that it is ready.
(c) The animal will smile.
(d) The animal will begin walking up the tunnel.
4. When first communicating with a guardian spirit animal, what does the author recommend novices do before engaging in detailed conversations?
(a) Ask the spirit for permission to speak.
(b) Listen to make sure the animal is ready to talk.
(c) Avoid eye contact so that the animal doesn't flee.
(d) Master simple yes-no questions.
5. What do the Jivaro do so that newborns can see their guardians?
(a) They give the infants a light hallucinogen.
(b) They take the babies on a journey through the wilderness.
(c) They prick an infant's left thumb.
(d) They sing songs about guardian animal spirits.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
2. In order for a shaman to restore power to someone from a distance, what does the author say is required?
3. In some traditions, how is a quartz crystal recharged?
4. In stories of Coyote or Raven, for example, the shaman's connection with the guardian spirit is with what?
5. During the exercise for restoring power presented to the reader, what happens when the participant emerges from the tunnel into Lowerworld?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
2. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
3. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
4. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
5. What is a vision quest?
6. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
7. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
8. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
9. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
10. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)