|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Harner state that it doesn't matter whether the animal that has appeared is fierce or gentle?
(a) The animal is merely a projection of the participant's imagination.
(b) Guardians are bound by oath to never harm humans.
(c) As sources of power, guardians do not harm the possessor.
(d) The animal's qualities reflect the inner needs of the shaman.
2. Does a guardian spirit have the freedom to leave or stay at will?
(b) Only at night.
(c) It depends on the type of spirit.
3. How does the 1562 book, "Natural Magick," make reference to shamans?
(a) It condemns shamans as charlatans and evildoers.
(b) It warns the church to stay clear of shamans or burn in hell.
(c) It lists every reference to shamanic rituals and practices known at the time.
(d) It encapsulates knowledge of the shaman-animal metamorphosis.
4. According to Harner, what are "big dreams?"
(a) Dreams that take place in Lowerworld.
(b) Either recurring or extremely vivid dreams.
(c) Hopes and aspirations for a better life.
(d) Dreams that take the shaman to Starplanet.
5. Before trying to retrieve a power animal, the shaman needs what?
(a) A power song.
(b) Animal bones.
(c) A power mask.
(d) Animal art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
2. What do negative big dreams carry, according to the author?
3. An especially powerful type of power object is the quartz crystal, which a shaman often associates with:
4. What element is often reported in many successful guardian spirit journeys?
5. After a novice receives an answer from a guardian spirit animal, what does Harner recommend he or she do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are power objects, and what are they for?
2. What is the bone game?
3. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
4. Why does a power animal need to be danced regularly?
5. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
6. Describe what Harner refers to as the "Calling The Beasts" ritual.
7. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
8. In the power restoration exercise Harner presents for the reader, what is the participant told to avoid?
9. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
10. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)