|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a shaman delivers the spirit of a power animal into the patient, he or she also:
(a) Blesses the animal.
(b) Blesses the patient.
(c) Tells the animal to cure the patient.
(d) Tells the patient what the animal is.
2. A shaman will blow a spirit animal into a patient through:
(a) The solar plexus.
(b) The chest or the back of the head.
(c) The nose or the mouth.
(d) The forehead.
3. How do power animals reveal themselves and their special powers?
(a) Either by speaking or by appearing in an abnormal way.
(b) By singing a coded song understandable only to shamans.
(c) By playing on the recipient's childhood fears.
(d) Either by a ghostly apparition or through blinding light.
4. In stories of Coyote or Raven, for example, the shaman's connection with the guardian spirit is with what?
(a) The entire species.
(b) A mythical character that does not exist.
(c) A representative individual of the species.
(d) An angelic being posing as an animal.
5. Why does Harner state that it doesn't matter whether the animal that has appeared is fierce or gentle?
(a) As sources of power, guardians do not harm the possessor.
(b) The animal is merely a projection of the participant's imagination.
(c) The animal's qualities reflect the inner needs of the shaman.
(d) Guardians are bound by oath to never harm humans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a guardian spirit animal encountered in Lowerworld often communicate with the shaman?
2. Among some Plains Indians tribes, it is believed that those who don't have a guardian animal spirit lack what?
3. Often, a patient already has the following with a returned power animal:
4. Power practice involves the use of power objects, which almost always are:
5. Shamans typically utilize crystals as:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a shaman do upon successfully retrieving a power animal for a patient?
2. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
3. How do the Jivaro know if a person has or doesn't have a guardian animal spirit?
4. Describe what Harner writes about the mythical past link between humans and animals.
5. Describe what the author says about being able to restore power to a patient from a distance.
6. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
7. What is a vision quest?
8. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
9. How can a shaman tell whether or not an individual has a guardian spirit?
10. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)