|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Can non-shamans participate in shamanic rituals?
(a) Only women.
(b) Yes, in some traditions.
(d) Only from a distance.
2. In Harner's power restoration exercise for apprentice shamans, he instructs the participant to use the drumbeat as what?
(a) The simulated heartbeat.
(b) The lifeline to reality.
(c) The spiritual canoe.
(d) The spirit guide.
3. While in the Lowerworld with a power animal, what does a shamanic exercise participant accomplish by shaking a rattle quickly?
(a) Hypnotizing the power animal.
(b) A quicker return up the tunnel.
(c) Fending off ominous creatures.
(d) A deep trance state.
4. The shamans among Scandinavian Laps often become what?
(a) Moose, caribou, bears, and rabbits.
(b) Bears, reindeer, wolves, and fish.
(c) Whales, fish, polar bears, and elk.
(d) Reindeer, elk, rabbits, and foxes.
5. Frequently, a patient has bonded with his or her power animal in:
(a) Early adulthood.
(b) The spirit world.
(d) A previous lifetime.
Short Answer Questions
1. A shaman can be open to attacks when what is not present?
2. An especially powerful type of power object is the quartz crystal, which a shaman often associates with:
3. A shaman will blow a spirit animal into a patient through:
4. When the Coastal Salish wear masks and dance their spirit guardians, what does Harner call this practice?
5. Where can a shaman go to retrieve a lost power animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What connection does a patient often have with a returned spirit animal?
2. Why should a shaman avoid trying to heal when he or she is feeling dis-spirited?
3. What is the bone game?
4. In the power restoration exercise presented to the reader in Chapter 5, what typically happens when the participant goes through the tunnel and reaches the Lowerworld?
5. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
6. Give a brief summary of the exercise the author presents to the reader on how to dance one's animal guardian spirit.
7. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
8. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
9. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
10. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)