|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harner recommend to a shaman student if he or she meets frightening creatures, such as fanged serpents or fish with teeth?
(a) Sing a power song and ask for protection.
(b) Come back up the tunnel and try again later.
(c) Show no fear and proceed with caution.
(d) Close your eyes, count to three, and continue forward if the creature has disappeared.
2. A shaman's quartz crystals typically are hidden from what?
(b) Sun's rays.
(c) Spirit guides.
(d) Tribal leaders.
3. A shocked power animal may do what?
(a) Shut down and refuse to communicate.
(b) Attack its person.
(c) Grow ill and die.
(d) Leave the person permanently.
4. Harner repeatedly emphasizes that not all shamanic experiences involve drugs and instead rely on what?
(a) Meditating, fasting, running, and self-deprivation.
(b) Storytelling, praying, and daydreaming.
(c) Drumming, chanting, singing, and symbolism.
(d) Jumping, eating, and dreaming.
5. A shaman can be open to attacks when what is not present?
(b) Animal totem.
(c) Guardian spirit.
(d) Human companion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shamans typically utilize crystals as:
2. Before trying to retrieve a power animal, the shaman needs what?
3. During their "dreamtime," Australian Aruntas often become what?
4. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
5. Why does the author say dancing is an effective way to keep one's animal close?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are power objects, and what are they for?
2. Where do "big dreams" come from, and what purpose do they serve?
3. When was the book Natural Magick written, and what is it about?
4. How do power animals first show themselves to a shaman?
5. How does a shaman obtain a power song needed to retrieve a power animal?
6. What is the bone game?
7. Explain what the author is saying when he speaks of Coyote and Raven as groups or species.
8. What does Harner recommend for novice shamans trying to communicate with guardian spirit animals?
9. How did Essie Parrish, a California Pomo Indian, acquire her first power song?
10. What might a restless or shocked power animal do?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)