|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the guided power restoration journey that involves descending down a tunnel, the author cautions against encountering:
(a) Male spirits with weapons.
(b) Weeping female spirits.
(c) Ominously voracious non-mammals.
(d) Large predators with exposed teeth.
2. A shocked power animal may do what?
(a) Attack its person.
(b) Grow ill and die.
(c) Leave the person permanently.
(d) Shut down and refuse to communicate.
3. Why does Harner state that it doesn't matter whether the animal that has appeared is fierce or gentle?
(a) The animal's qualities reflect the inner needs of the shaman.
(b) Guardians are bound by oath to never harm humans.
(c) As sources of power, guardians do not harm the possessor.
(d) The animal is merely a projection of the participant's imagination.
4. After a shaman successfully retrieves a patient's power animal from the Lowerworld, what's the next step?
(a) Waiting for the animal to befriend the patient.
(b) Having the patient swallow the animal.
(c) Asking the power animal to swallow the patient.
(d) Placing the animal on the patient's chest.
5. According to Harner, what are "big dreams?"
(a) Either recurring or extremely vivid dreams.
(b) Hopes and aspirations for a better life.
(c) Dreams that take the shaman to Starplanet.
(d) Dreams that take place in Lowerworld.
6. What is the most famous method of acquiring a guardian animal spirit?
(a) Vision quest.
(b) Consciousness quest.
(c) Rock seeing.
(d) Astral vision.
7. What does Harner recommend to a shaman student if he or she meets frightening creatures, such as fanged serpents or fish with teeth?
(a) Come back up the tunnel and try again later.
(b) Sing a power song and ask for protection.
(c) Show no fear and proceed with caution.
(d) Close your eyes, count to three, and continue forward if the creature has disappeared.
8. In order for a shaman to restore power to someone from a distance, what does the author say is required?
(a) Great expectations and focused desire.
(b) Great concentration and expert sight.
(c) Advanced intuition and much courage.
(d) Expert skills and advanced confidence.
9. In Harner's power restoration exercise for apprentice shamans, he instructs the participant to use the drumbeat as what?
(a) The simulated heartbeat.
(b) The spirit guide.
(c) The spiritual canoe.
(d) The lifeline to reality.
10. How many guardian animals does a person have in a lifetime?
(a) A different one each year.
(b) Only one.
(d) Two or three.
11. A shaman's quartz crystals typically are hidden from what?
(b) Sun's rays.
(c) Spirit guides.
(d) Tribal leaders.
12. Where can a shaman go to retrieve a lost power animal?
(a) The Powerworld.
(b) The Otherworld.
(c) The Higherworld.
(d) The Lowerworld.
13. Among some Plains Indians tribes, it is believed that those who don't have a guardian animal spirit lack what?
(a) Power and life success.
(b) Integrity and character.
(c) Strength and physical agility.
(d) Courage and compassion.
14. Why must a shaman not send power directly to the patient?
(a) It can contaminate the patient's energy.
(b) It will exhaust the shaman's energy.
(c) The guardian spirit animals will feel useless and disappear.
(d) The extra power can shock a weakened patient's system.
15. How does the 1562 book, "Natural Magick," make reference to shamans?
(a) It lists every reference to shamanic rituals and practices known at the time.
(b) It warns the church to stay clear of shamans or burn in hell.
(c) It condemns shamans as charlatans and evildoers.
(d) It encapsulates knowledge of the shaman-animal metamorphosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do negative big dreams carry, according to the author?
2. Often, a patient already has the following with a returned power animal:
3. When the apprentice shaman emerges from the tunnel and enters Lowerworld, what animal does Harner say the participant will never see?
4. In the Jivaro tradition, the identity of a power animal is what?
5. Before trying to retrieve a power animal, the shaman needs what?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)