|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the 1562 book, "Natural Magick," make reference to shamans?
(a) It lists every reference to shamanic rituals and practices known at the time.
(b) It encapsulates knowledge of the shaman-animal metamorphosis.
(c) It warns the church to stay clear of shamans or burn in hell.
(d) It condemns shamans as charlatans and evildoers.
2. Why must a shaman not send power directly to the patient?
(a) It can contaminate the patient's energy.
(b) It will exhaust the shaman's energy.
(c) The guardian spirit animals will feel useless and disappear.
(d) The extra power can shock a weakened patient's system.
3. According to the author, restoring power requires restoring or acquiring what?
(a) Power rock.
(b) Guardian tree sprite.
(c) Power animal.
(d) Guardian water spirit.
4. After a novice receives an answer from a guardian spirit animal, what does Harner recommend he or she do?
(a) Test the spirit to make sure the answer is correct.
(b) Move on to the next question.
(c) Spend fifteen minutes meditating on the answer's meaning.
(d) Write down the answer as soon as possible.
5. While in the Lowerworld with a power animal, what does a shamanic exercise participant accomplish by shaking a rattle quickly?
(a) Fending off ominous creatures.
(b) A deep trance state.
(c) A quicker return up the tunnel.
(d) Hypnotizing the power animal.
6. When the apprentice shaman emerges from the tunnel and enters Lowerworld, what animal does Harner say the participant will never see?
(a) A robin.
(b) A whale.
(c) A serpent.
(d) An insect.
7. Many traditions speak of the mythical past when animals could:
(a) Transform into other beings.
(b) Walk upright.
(c) Travel between worlds.
(d) Talk to people.
8. Frequently, a patient has bonded with his or her power animal in:
(a) The spirit world.
(b) A previous lifetime.
(d) Early adulthood.
9. Myths and stories that have been passed down typically refer to:
(a) Individual hero animals.
(b) Animal groups possessing supernatural strength.
(c) Animal groups instead of individual animals.
(d) Individual animals instead of animal groups.
10. After a shaman successfully retrieves a patient's power animal from the Lowerworld, what's the next step?
(a) Waiting for the animal to befriend the patient.
(b) Having the patient swallow the animal.
(c) Placing the animal on the patient's chest.
(d) Asking the power animal to swallow the patient.
11. Harner indicates that a tonal animal is linked to someone's fate in what?
(a) Shamanic states of consciousness.
(b) Ordinary reality.
(c) Pre-adolescent years.
(d) Dream states.
12. For the Jivaro, where do guardian spirits reside primarily?
(a) Behind the eyes.
(b) In the chest.
(c) At the hips.
(d) In each ear.
13. During the exercise for restoring power presented to the reader, what happens when the participant emerges from the tunnel into Lowerworld?
(a) An animal guide will initiate a power dance.
(b) An animal guide will lead the way.
(c) A power animal will be recognized by seeing it four times.
(d) A power animal will speak to the participant.
14. Harner notes that in modern technology, quartz crystals are used in what?
(a) Solar-powered panels and electric cars.
(b) Children's electronic toys.
(c) Radio transmitters and computers.
(d) Atomic reactors.
15. In the exercise Harner gives the reader for dancing one's animal guardian spirit, what is the participant asked to do?
(a) Visualize the animal that is sought.
(b) Wear a mask of the animal being summoned.
(c) Drum vigorously for six minutes.
(d) Shake rattles in six directions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do power animals reveal themselves and their special powers?
2. A shaman can be open to attacks when what is not present?
3. Why does the author say dancing is an effective way to keep one's animal close?
4. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
5. How does a guardian spirit animal encountered in Lowerworld often communicate with the shaman?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)