|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A restless power animal may develop what?
(a) Resentment towards the shaman.
(b) A mean streak.
(c) A mental or physical illness.
(d) A weak connection with its person.
2. Power practice involves the use of power objects, which almost always are:
(a) Handcrafted by the shaman's companion.
(b) Found in nature.
(c) Teeth and bones extracted from hunted animals.
(d) Passed down from shaman to shaman.
3. What do anthropologists refer to as divination?
(a) Information a shaman shares immediately after emerging from the Lowerworld tunnel.
(b) A patient's spontaneous healing after a shaman's visit.
(c) The act of shaking a shamanic rattle in six directions.
(d) Consultation between a shaman and his or her animal.
4. Most cultures believe that a shaman can have how many guardian animals at a time?
5. Before trying to retrieve a power animal, the shaman needs what?
(a) Animal art.
(b) A power song.
(c) Animal bones.
(d) A power mask.
6. When the shaman has a question, the guardian spirit animal may answer it by:
(a) Entering the shaman's mind and communicating answers telepathically.
(b) Tapping with its foot or fin once for no and twice for yes.
(c) Shaking a rattle at different rates depending on the answer.
(d) Leading the shaman on a journey of experiences that ultimately answer that question.
7. What do the Jivaro see in someone who possesses a guardian?
(a) Sparks of pink light from the fingertips.
(b) A colorful aura around the head.
(c) A golden circle surrounding the person.
(d) An inverted rainbow in the chest.
8. During the exercise for restoring power presented to the reader, what happens when the participant emerges from the tunnel into Lowerworld?
(a) A power animal will be recognized by seeing it four times.
(b) A power animal will speak to the participant.
(c) An animal guide will lead the way.
(d) An animal guide will initiate a power dance.
9. Harner indicates that a tonal animal is linked to someone's fate in what?
(a) Pre-adolescent years.
(b) Shamanic states of consciousness.
(c) Dream states.
(d) Ordinary reality.
10. While in the Lowerworld on a journey to restore power, how will the shaman know if a power animal is ready to accompany the seeker?
(a) The animal will begin walking up the tunnel.
(b) The animal will give off a faint glow.
(c) The animal will give signs that it is ready.
(d) The animal will smile.
11. When first communicating with a guardian spirit animal, what does the author recommend novices do before engaging in detailed conversations?
(a) Avoid eye contact so that the animal doesn't flee.
(b) Listen to make sure the animal is ready to talk.
(c) Ask the spirit for permission to speak.
(d) Master simple yes-no questions.
12. How does a guardian spirit animal encountered in Lowerworld often communicate with the shaman?
(a) Through a language spoken only in Lowerworld.
(b) Through the spirit of a deceased loved one of the shaman.
(c) By moving its body in an unusual way.
(d) By singing a song.
13. According to the author, restoring power requires restoring or acquiring what?
(a) Guardian water spirit.
(b) Guardian tree sprite.
(c) Power animal.
(d) Power rock.
14. What is the most famous method of acquiring a guardian animal spirit?
(a) Consciousness quest.
(b) Astral vision.
(c) Rock seeing.
(d) Vision quest.
15. What happens to a power object when it no longer moves a person emotionally?
(a) It is incorporated into a necklace.
(b) It is placed inside a rattle.
(c) It is returned to nature.
(d) It is buried three feet underground.
Short Answer Questions
1. A shocked power animal may do what?
2. When the apprentice shaman emerges from the tunnel and enters Lowerworld, what animal does Harner say the participant will never see?
3. Some creation myths show with the passage of time, only shamans could:
4. After the power animal in the Lowerworld alerts the shaman that it is ready to accompany him or her, what is the shaman supposed to do?
5. Particularly during the Inquisition, many Christian church leaders considered animal transformation to be what?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)