|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Extracting Harmful Intrusions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following do reputable shamans NOT do?
(a) Make deals with evil spirits.
(b) Take on patients' symptoms.
(c) Practice clairvoyance.
(d) Cross realities at will.
2. Harner notes that in modern technology, quartz crystals are used in what?
(a) Radio transmitters and computers.
(b) Children's electronic toys.
(c) Solar-powered panels and electric cars.
(d) Atomic reactors.
3. What do various cultures report noticing the shaman give off when in a shamanic state of consciousness?
(a) A highly directional beam of light, like a laser.
(b) An unusually sweet aroma.
(c) Light in a halo effect.
(d) Rhythmic sounds.
4. Does a guardian spirit have the freedom to leave or stay at will?
(b) It depends on the type of spirit.
(c) Only at night.
5. Before the shaman takes part of a plant for an intrusion extraction, what does he or she do?
(a) Consults with a power animal.
(b) Apologizes to the plant.
(c) Shakes a rattle in six directions.
(d) Runs a quartz crystal over the plant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Shamans believe that lethargic, sick adults can be made well by what?
2. Harner asserts that shamanism has advanced in areas without technological innovations because:
3. What are the tsentak?
4. Particularly during the Inquisition, many Christian church leaders considered animal transformation to be what?
5. Why is the Jivaro shaman who helps Harner worried that the author may not be able to find tsentak?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)