|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1, Discovering the Way.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the tsentak?
(a) Mischievous tree sprites.
(b) Guides who intervene in emergencies.
(c) Helpers who cause or cure illness.
(d) Spirits who bridge the seen and the unseen.
2. In his attempt to find spirit helpers with the assistance of a Jivaro shaman from Ecuador, what does the author do?
(a) He joins Jivaro in an out-of-body ritual.
(b) He calls out to spirit helpers in the rainforest.
(c) He repeats an ancient chant Jivaro teaches him.
(d) He spiritually goes to a cave underneath a waterfall.
3. In a drug-induced vision, Harner sees demons as:
(b) Fish with teeth.
(c) Faceless ghosts.
4. In early experiences with the Conibo, Harner hears rushing:
5. What must the shaman feed his spirit helpers?
(a) Tobacco water.
(b) Vanilla beans.
(c) Coffee nectar.
(d) Ground allspice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author encounter when he drinks maikua?
2. Among other sensations in his experience with the Conibo, Harner experiences a sense of flying inside what?
3. What does Harner compare his near-death experience with the Conibo to?
4. Why does Harner include the examples of the Lakota Sioux and Coast Salish tribes for Westerners in particular?
5. Harner indicates that becoming a shaman involves pain, facing fears, and a willingness to:
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)