|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4, Power Animals.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is shamanism estimated to be?
(a) Less than 3,000 years old.
(b) Approximately 12,000 years old.
(c) No one can even guess.
(d) At least 20,000 to 30,000 years old.
2. What does Harner point out about the Lakota Sioux and the Coast Salish tribes?
(a) Were the first tribes known to practice shamanism.
(b) Are the best natural healers in the world.
(c) Shun the practice of shamanism and instead pass down stories from one generation to the next.
(d) They achieve altered states of consciousness without using hallucinogenic substances.
3. How many guardian animals does a person have in a lifetime?
(a) Two or three.
(c) A different one each year.
(d) Only one.
4. What does Harner suggest is the purpose of songs during a shamanic journey?
(a) To attract beneficial healing spirit helpers.
(b) To guide the shaman towards acceptable portals.
(c) To amplify the shaman's altered state.
(d) To keep the patient calm and relaxed.
5. Included in the reports from participants of Harner's first guided shamanic exercise are:
(a) Numerous cases of people experiencing nausea and vertigo.
(b) Accounts of disappearing momentarily and not being seen by others in the room.
(c) Suggestions on what to do when encountering an impenetrable obstacle.
(d) Detailed conversations with star people and other extraterrestrials.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Harner afraid to take maikua?
2. Which of the following is NOT a purpose for entering a shamanic state of consciousness?
3. How does the 1562 book, "Natural Magick," make reference to shamans?
4. Harner asserts that shamanism transcends any particular what?
5. In the exercise Harner gives the reader for dancing one's animal guardian spirit, what is the participant asked to do?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)