|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the German Bismarck eliminate Europe's delusions, democracy, and ideals?
2. What bold denial of Kant's is based on reduction of religion to moral faith and hope?
3. What is needed by a strong man who seeks intensity and experience at the cost of tragic woe?
4. What does Durant say the beginning of Schopenhauer's book contains?
5. What had Kant determined to be a Thing-in-Itself that can be conceived in thought but not experienced?
Short Essay Questions
1. In his The Critique of Pure Reason how does Kant say knowledge comes?
2. Define the difference between the study of science and the study of social studies and political affairs.
3. What is the value Kant sees of the Bible and the churches?
4. What is Nietzsche's thought on democracy and Christianity?
5. Briefly describe Spencer's formula of evolution.
6. How does Schopenhauer's philosophy sound like modern merchandising?
7. Explain briefly how Russell became agnostic.
8. Describe Kant's sequential order of knowledge leading up to an organized life.
9. How is Immanuel Kant's work burst on the European consciousness?
10. Describe the competition between Schopenhauer and Hegel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on truth. In your essay comment on the difficulty of determining what truth is. Give your opinion on approaching the study of truth as a search for its origins or as a practical application for the future.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Aristotle's idea of the soul as pure thought. In the essay discuss how this concept destroys the soul as it is generally understood in Judeo-Christian-Islamic traditions.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Kant's statement: Morality is not properly the doctrine how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy to be happy. Explain what it means and give examples.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)