|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Schopenhauer say the intellect does but the will does not?
2. To what does Spencer conclude the same principles of evolution in biology also apply?
3. What does Russell conclude is too big for his mathematical formulas?
4. How does Schopenhauer develop his blunt manner, realistic mind, and knowledge of the world and of men?
5. What is Kant's critical analysis of the moral basis of religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kant respond after reading Berkeley, Hume, and Rousseau?
2. Briefly describe Spencer's formula of evolution.
3. What is the implication of Schopenhauer's claim that the world is his idea in his book, The World as Will and Idea?
4. Explain briefly how Russell became agnostic.
5. What does Nietzsche's first and only completed book prove?
6. Briefly discuss Bergson's idea of creative evolution.
7. How does Spencer see his fame?
8. What is the value Kant sees of the Bible and the churches?
9. In his The Critique of Pure Reason how does Kant say knowledge comes?
10. Describe Schopenhauer's views of youth and old age.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on a priori truth regardless of our experience. Explain in your essay the meaning of a priori and give examples of a priori universals that we cannot even imagine being otherwise.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Spinoza's idea that one thing may be good, bad, or indifferent all at the same time which he illustrates by music. In your essay identify and explain how something like modern electronics may be good, bad, or indifferent all at the same time.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Santayana's concept of Animal Faith which he says he lives by. Express your opinion about his assertion that Animal Faith may be faith in a myth but it is a good myth. Include the idea of being skeptically strict to justify a certain amount of Animal Faith to live by. Show how Santayana suggests that transcendentalism leaves room for a need for Animal Faith.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)