|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that whenever philosophy grows in a country its moral health decays?
2. Who is the author of Time and Free-will?
3. By Spencer's time, what is the third stage of philosophical thought?
4. What are the two contrary valuations of human behavior, according to Nietzsche?
5. What is needed by a strong man who seeks intensity and experience at the cost of tragic woe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the competition between Schopenhauer and Hegel.
2. How does Schopenhauer's philosophy sound like modern merchandising?
3. Briefly discuss Bergson's idea of creative evolution.
4. How does Kant respond after reading Berkeley, Hume, and Rousseau?
5. How does Spencer see his fame?
6. Define the difference between the study of science and the study of social studies and political affairs.
7. How does Kant's work ironically work against his stated aim?
8. How does Nietzsche show his attitude toward religion?
9. Describe Herbert Spencer as a man.
10. Describe Kant's sequential order of knowledge leading up to an organized life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on religious faith, agnosticism, and atheism. In your essay define each and give examples of philosophers who fit each category. Express your opinion about where you stand on the issue.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on philosopher-kings. Include in your essay the way proponents of philosopher-kings probably saw themselves as able to govern justly. Explain why the theory that sounds well never worked well in reality.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Aristotle's Golden Mean. Include how it is not the same as a mathematical mean. Give an Aristotelian example of the Golden Mean and one that you observe from modern life.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)