|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Francois Arouet when he starts using the pen name, Voltaire?
2. What does Voltaire's father tell him will come from an education in literature?
3. What are the only three things worthwhile in Plato's ethical solution?
4. What is the first of four books written by Spinoza?
5. Who are the students of Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Spinoza gives up everything for philosophy.
2. What happens because of Spinoza's questions about Judeo-Christian beliefs?
3. Contrast Aristotle's Lyceum with Plato's Academy.
4. Describe the philosophers before Socrates, Plato, and aristotle.
5. Describe Aristotle's idea of what a man's goal in life should be.
6. Who are the students of Socrates?
7. How does the scope of Bacon's philosophy miss his goal?
8. How does Plato differentiate between emotion and knowledge?
9. How can Voltaire's life be compared to that of socrates?
10. How does Spinoza's education come from questions he wants answers to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on religious faith, agnosticism, and atheism. In your essay define each and give examples of philosophers who fit each category. Express your opinion about where you stand on the issue.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on Schopenhauer's contention that character lies in the will and not the intellect. Explain what he means and give your opinion of his conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on Kant's statement: Morality is not properly the doctrine how we may make ourselves happy, but how we may make ourselves worthy to be happy. Explain what it means and give examples.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)