|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Spinoza's second book?
(a) The Political Treatise
(b) The Improvement of the Intellect
(c) The Treatise on Religion and the State
2. What is one result of Aristotle's prolific output of writing?
(a) a large amount of errors
(b) an error free reference library
(c) a definitive answer to all philosophical questions
(d) a need to build larger libraries
3. Who in Voltaire's life is the young wife of a French Marquis who is away with his regiment?
(a) his muse
(b) his neice
(c) his secretary
(d) his mistress
4. To what does Spinoza change his Jewish given name?
(a) the Russian name, Igor
(b) the gentile name, Benedict
(c) the English name, John
(d) the German name, Hans
5. What is the foundation of Plato's Republic?
(a) allowing individuality to flourish
(b) destroying individuality for an idealized state
(c) creating contributing classes of people
(d) putting the state in a subservient position
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the King of Syracuse learn that causes him to cancel his invitation to Plato to organize Utopia?
2. Where is a meeting held to discuss the Republic?
3. What philosophy does Bacon accept in his Essays?
4. How far is Alexander able to spread Greek culture?
5. What does Spinoza's Ethic do with Buddhism and Christianity, the philosophy of Machiavelli and Nietzsche, and the democracy of the Greeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Spinoza's identification of three ethical systems.
2. How does Voltaire research his writing?
3. Explain the reasons for a break between Plato and Aristotle.
4. How does Bacon's reconstruction exceed the work of Aristotle?
5. How does Plato see population as a political problem of war that can be controlled?
6. Describe Voltaire's The Essay on Morals.
7. How does Plato state the cause of political problems in the world?
8. What is Voltaire's reaction to Voltaire's desire to be a professional writer?
9. Who are the students of Socrates?
10. Describe the origins of stoicism and Epicureanism in Greek philosophy.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)