|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Spinoza's second book?
(a) The Political Treatise
(b) The Treatise on Religion and the State
(c) The Improvement of the Intellect
2. Where is Francois Arouet when he starts using the pen name, Voltaire?
(a) sailing to the Americas
(b) recuperatiing from cholera
(c) studying at Oxford
(d) imprisoned in the Bastille
3. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
(a) age thirty
(b) age sixteen
(c) age twenty-four
(d) age fifty
4. What is Aristotle's foundation of logic?
(a) the way to make a syllogysm
(b) the art and method of correct thinking
(c) the way to ask Socratic questions
(d) the art of listening
5. What does Aristotle define as the entire vital principle of any being?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the students of Socrates?
2. To what end does Socrates develop his Socratic Method?
3. What is the foundation of Plato's Republic?
4. What are the only three things worthwhile in Plato's ethical solution?
5. What is one result of Aristotle's prolific output of writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Voltaire's reaction to Voltaire's desire to be a professional writer?
2. Describe Spinoza's synonymous dichotomies.
3. How is Bacon's philosophy comparable to Plato's?
4. Describe Aristotle's idea of what a man's goal in life should be.
5. How does Bacon's reconstruction exceed the work of Aristotle?
6. Describe Spinoza's identification of three ethical systems.
7. Who are the students of Socrates?
8. How does Voltaire research his writing?
9. How does Durant see the evolution of stoicism into the Christian religion?
10. what methodology marks a difference in the thought processes of Plato and Aristotle?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)