|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spinoza call the highest knowledge of universal unity?
(a) the intellectual equivalent of the love of God
(b) understanding the influence of the stars
(c) the educated answers to philosophical questions
(d) the lessons from philosophers of the past
2. What does Democritus claim that Aristotle disagrees with?
(a) the soul is imaginary
(b) the soul is temporary
(c) there is no such thing as soul
(d) the soul is material
3. Reducing everything through the Socratic Method, what do Socrates and Cephalus agree to discuss?
(a) the meaning of justice
(b) the meaning of happiness
(c) the meaning of war
(d) the meaning of philosophy
4. At what age does Plato advocate taking children from their parents to avoid learning bad habits?
(a) at birth
(b) age three
(c) age ten
(d) at adolescence
5. What new philosophy uses faith and reason to force acceptance of untried assumptions and conclusions?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bacon often accused of being atheistic?
2. What does Voltaire do when he is sentenced to the Bastille a second time?
3. What does the King of Syracuse learn that causes him to cancel his invitation to Plato to organize Utopia?
4. What student of Aristotle becomes a major historical figure?
5. Who are Francis Bacon's relative that cause it to be said that his political career began at his birth in 1561?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bacon's reconstruction exceed the work of Aristotle?
2. How does Plato state the cause of political problems in the world?
3. Describe the mathematical form of Spinoza's approach to his philosophy.
4. How does Durant see the evolution of stoicism into the Christian religion?
5. Describe Voltaire's The Essay on Morals.
6. How does Spinoza's education come from questions he wants answers to?
7. Describe the origins of stoicism and Epicureanism in Greek philosophy.
8. Describe Aristotle's idea of what a man's goal in life should be.
9. What is a common criticism of Voltaire?
10. Describe the idols Bacon identifies and wants to eliminate.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)