|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Without what does Kant say sensations cannot become perceptions?
(a) action and reaction
(b) space and time
(c) hot and cold
(d) time and energy
2. What does Nietzsche do that gets him discharged from the military?
(a) challenges the commander
(b) disobeys an order
(c) takes unofficial leave
(d) falls off a horse
3. What does Bergson see as active forces in evolution?
(a) opportunity and conditionality
(b) impulse and desire
(c) work and leisure
(d) time and space
4. What are the two contrary valuations of human behavior, according to Nietzsche?
(a) the good and the bad
(b) the high and the mighty
(c) the master and the herd
(d) the moralist and the scientist
5. What causes Bergson to become a famous popular philosopher?
(a) his denouncement of Darwin
(b) his world travels and lectures
(c) his winning the Nobel Prize
(d) his work, Creative Evolution
6. How does Schopenhauer describe his situation?
(a) an artist painting for the blind
(b) a rifle without a bullet
(c) a musician playing to a deaf audience
(d) a rider without a horse
7. What does Nietzsche claim causes fulfillment of woman and narrowing of man?
(a) charitable deeds
8. Historically, what is an attempt to discover and explain the ultimate nature of reality?
9. How is Nietzsche found after he suffers a fit of apoplexy?
(a) mad, playing the piano, singing and crying
(b) locked in his bedroom
(c) sitting in a tub of cold water
(d) wandering aimlessly on the streets
10. How does the German Bismarck eliminate Europe's delusions, democracy, and ideals?
(a) recognizing that nations do not share altruism
(b) recognizing that nations are not autonimous.
(c) recognizing that nations now aid one another
(d) recognizing that nations have different philosophies
11. What is the irony of Kant's quiet Prussian life relative to Voltaire's Parisian life?
(a) both of them get into trouble with their governments
(b) both of them become quite wealthy
(c) both of them lack credibility in their day
(d) both of them live in exile
12. Who is the author of Time and Free-will?
(b) Henri Bergson
13. What is Kant's critical analysis of the moral basis of religion?
(a) The Critique of Scriptures
(b) The Critique of Science
(c) The Critique of Theology
(d) The Critique of Practical Reason
14. What does Spencer affirm that needs centralization, government power, apathy and individual subordination?
15. What becomes the Gospel on which Nietzsche's other works comment?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose mission is it to save religion from reason and science from skepticism?
2. What is the result of Spencer's considering philosophy a generalization of all science?
3. What is Schopenhauer's masterpiece?
4. What defines Spencer as a man who considers philosophy a generalization of all science?
5. What has a materialistic bias from mathematics and mechanics through the developing sciences?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)