|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Spencer conclude the same principles of evolution in biology also apply?
(d) all sciences
2. What does Nietzsche do that gets him discharged from the military?
(a) disobeys an order
(b) takes unofficial leave
(c) challenges the commander
(d) falls off a horse
3. What does Schopenhauer say is the first law of sexual attraction?
(a) physical beauty
(c) monetary security
(d) fitness to procreate
4. What bold denial of Kant's is based on reduction of religion to moral faith and hope?
(a) the denial of rational theology
(b) the denial of pantheology
(c) the denial of inspired theology
(d) the denial of logical theology
5. What defines Spencer as a man who considers philosophy a generalization of all science?
(a) he comes from a family of thinkers
(b) he is a logical thinker
(c) he studies with Charles Darwin
(d) he in a trained biologist
6. Where does Schopenhauer go to write a doctoral dissertation in philosophy?
(a) the university
(b) the library
(c) the monastery
(d) the country
7. With what famous composer does does Nietzsche study the piano?
(a) Richard Wagner
(d) Johan Sebastian Bach
8. What does Schopenhauer see as the cause of strife and misery?
(a) the will
9. What does Nietzsche he write about in Thus Spake Zarathustra?
10. What does Durant say the beginning of Schopenhauer's book contains?
(a) lackluster descriptions of Europe
(b) unreadable prose taken from Kant
(c) sound and fury signifying nothing
(d) two-hundred pages of second-hand idealism
11. What does Bergson uphold that is distinct from the organism, but is limited by its characteristics?
12. What causes Bergson to become a famous popular philosopher?
(a) his work, Creative Evolution
(b) his winning the Nobel Prize
(c) his world travels and lectures
(d) his denouncement of Darwin
13. What method does Kant use to remind theology that substance, cause, and necessity are finite categories?
(a) animal instinct
(b) transcendental dialectic
(c) the Socratic Method
(d) Aristotle's logic
14. What is Kant's critical analysis of the moral basis of religion?
(a) The Critique of Practical Reason
(b) The Critique of Theology
(c) The Critique of Science
(d) The Critique of Scriptures
15. Where does Croce get the idea that history is a process of choosing a lie that is closest to the truth?
(a) from Plato and Aristotle
(b) from rousseau
(c) from Schopenhauer
(d) from Nietzsche
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the German Bismarck eliminate Europe's delusions, democracy, and ideals?
2. How does Schopenhauer develop his blunt manner, realistic mind, and knowledge of the world and of men?
3. In what work does Spencer freely express his best ideas with suggestive generalization and political philosophy?
4. What does Bergson see as active forces in evolution?
5. What effect does Immanuel Kant's work have when it is published in 1781?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)