|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What method does Kant use to remind theology that substance, cause, and necessity are finite categories?
(a) Aristotle's logic
(b) transcendental dialectic
(c) the Socratic Method
(d) animal instinct
2. What does Spencer comment on long before Darwin's theory of natural selection becomes popular by the end of the 1800s?
(a) natural science
3. Where does Schopenhauer go to write a doctoral dissertation in philosophy?
(a) the library
(b) the country
(c) the monastery
(d) the university
4. What does the publisher of Schopenhauer's book eventually tell him?
(a) the law refused the distribution of the book
(b) they printed only the few copies they gave him
(c) most of the edition is sold as waste paper
(d) the book is too dry to sell
5. What are the two contrary valuations of human behavior, according to Nietzsche?
(a) the good and the bad
(b) the high and the mighty
(c) the moralist and the scientist
(d) the master and the herd
6. What does Kant say divides man into sects that does not join them together?
(a) language and custom
(b) fear and suspicion
(c) creed and ritual
(d) authority and legalism
7. How is Nietzsche found after he suffers a fit of apoplexy?
(a) sitting in a tub of cold water
(b) mad, playing the piano, singing and crying
(c) wandering aimlessly on the streets
(d) locked in his bedroom
8. Instead of God and heaven, what does Spencer define as life?
(a) regulation and manumission
(b) equilibration and dissolution
(c) desperation and satisfaction
(d) confusion and evolution
9. How does Schopenhauer develop his blunt manner, realistic mind, and knowledge of the world and of men?
(a) his exposure to business
(b) his frequent travels
(c) his time in the military
(d) his informal education
10. How does the German Bismarck eliminate Europe's delusions, democracy, and ideals?
(a) recognizing that nations now aid one another
(b) recognizing that nations are not autonimous.
(c) recognizing that nations do not share altruism
(d) recognizing that nations have different philosophies
11. What does Spencer affirm that needs centralization, government power, apathy and individual subordination?
12. How does Schopenhauer describe his situation?
(a) a musician playing to a deaf audience
(b) a rider without a horse
(c) a rifle without a bullet
(d) an artist painting for the blind
13. What is the distinction of his book, The Birth of Tragedy out of the Spirit of Music?
(a) it is his first and only
(b) it defines classic tragedy
(c) it sold out in three weeks
(d) it is translated into 30 languages
14. What does Schopenhauer say is the first law of sexual attraction?
(b) physical beauty
(c) monetary security
(d) fitness to procreate
15. What effect does Immanuel Kant's work have when it is published in 1781?
(a) shocks and upsets the philosophic world
(b) saves religion from extinction
(c) defies scientific logic
(d) does away with the need for philosophy
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kant classify an action done in accord with one's inner sense of duty?
2. What is Benedetto Croce's first book about?
3. What defines Spencer as a man who considers philosophy a generalization of all science?
4. With what famous composer does does Nietzsche study the piano?
5. What work of Spencer's theorizes that all ultimate religious ideas eventually become logically inconceivable?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)