|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spencer define as the subjective accompaniment of mechanically evolved nerve processes?
2. What effect does Immanuel Kant's work have when it is published in 1781?
(a) does away with the need for philosophy
(b) saves religion from extinction
(c) defies scientific logic
(d) shocks and upsets the philosophic world
3. What rouses the world from dogmatism?
(a) Francis Bacon's Essays
(b) Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
(c) Voltaire's Candide
(d) the philosophy of Locke, Berkeley, and Hume
4. What are the two contrary valuations of human behavior, according to Nietzsche?
(a) the moralist and the scientist
(b) the good and the bad
(c) the high and the mighty
(d) the master and the herd
5. What does Kant say divides man into sects that does not join them together?
(a) fear and suspicion
(b) authority and legalism
(c) language and custom
(d) creed and ritual
6. What is Benedetto Croce's first book about?
(a) the economics of Karl Marx
(b) the war of 1914
(c) social order during wartime
(d) materialism as a mature method of thought
7. What does Durant say the beginning of Schopenhauer's book contains?
(a) lackluster descriptions of Europe
(b) sound and fury signifying nothing
(c) two-hundred pages of second-hand idealism
(d) unreadable prose taken from Kant
8. What does Spencer affirm that needs centralization, government power, apathy and individual subordination?
9. What does Schopenhauer say is the first law of sexual attraction?
(a) monetary security
(c) fitness to procreate
(d) physical beauty
10. Who suggests that whenever philosophy grows in a country its moral health decays?
11. What does Schopenhauer say the intellect does but the will does not?
(a) tires and needs sleep
(b) works and needs direction
(c) reads and needs instruction
(d) talks and needs listeners
12. What does Spencer label as the art of methodical self-confusion?
13. What is the irony of Kant's quiet Prussian life relative to Voltaire's Parisian life?
(a) both of them live in exile
(b) both of them become quite wealthy
(c) both of them get into trouble with their governments
(d) both of them lack credibility in their day
14. What does Spencer call a rationalizing myth for belief that defies conception?
15. How does Kant classify an action done in accord with one's inner sense of duty?
(a) as holy
(b) as isolated
(c) as habitual
(d) as good
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Schopenhauer go to write a doctoral dissertation in philosophy?
2. To what does Spencer conclude the same principles of evolution in biology also apply?
3. What bold denial of Kant's is based on reduction of religion to moral faith and hope?
4. What is a critical analysis of knowledge that is independent of all sense experience?
5. Without what does Kant say sensations cannot become perceptions?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)