|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
(a) a good use of rhetoric
(b) a clear objective
(c) a reforming zeal
(d) a means of testing
2. What does Spinoza suggest the aim of Biblical language is meant to do?
(a) to conceal great mysteries
(b) to attract the imagination of popular minds
(c) to compete with Greek mythology
(d) to attract intellectuals
3. What does Socrates ask Cephalus to define?
(a) the best form of government
(b) the meaning of the word moral
(c) the blessing he receives from education
(d) the greatest blessing he receives from wealth
4. What biological notion does Aristotle reject?
(a) evolution of species
(c) extinction of species
(d) survival of the fittest
5. What becomes the unifying element in Plato's description of justice?
(a) the welfare of the group
(b) the good of the children
(c) the sharing of the wealth
(d) the quality of the laws
6. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
(a) age twenty-four
(b) age fifty
(c) age thirty
(d) age sixteen
7. At what age does Plato advocate taking children from their parents to avoid learning bad habits?
(a) age three
(b) at birth
(c) at adolescence
(d) age ten
8. At first, what medium does Voltaire use to give humorous expression to his ideas?
(a) short novels
(b) anonymous letters
(d) short plays
9. When does Plato return to Athens and begin to write?
(a) at the age of twenty-eight when Socrates dies
(b) at the age of forty in 387 B.C.
(c) at the age of fifty in 397 B. C.
(d) at the age of thirty while touring the middle east
10. To what does Spinoza change his Jewish given name?
(a) the Russian name, Igor
(b) the English name, John
(c) the German name, Hans
(d) the gentile name, Benedict
11. What is Voltaire's literary output?
(a) fifty-four volumes of work
(b) three plays, four novels, and 100 essays
(c) ninety-nine volumes
(d) hundreds of manuscripts
12. What do the concepts of praise or blame indicate according to Aristotle?
(a) moral responsibility and free will
(b) a way of avoiding responsibility
(c) the need for athletic contests
(d) disagreements in society
13. What does Democritus claim that Aristotle disagrees with?
(a) the soul is imaginary
(b) the soul is temporary
(c) there is no such thing as soul
(d) the soul is material
14. To answer Rousseau, what satirical story does Voltaire write about the best of all possible worlds?
(b) The Misanthrope
15. What does Spinoza say a literal interpretation of the Bible does?
(a) gives it broader meaning
(b) makes it easy to understand
(c) opens the Bible to errors
(d) gives no scientific evidence
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bacon call for elimination in his philosophy?
2. What is Spinoza's second book?
3. What does Baruch Spinoza begin to feel about his traditional Jewish education?
4. What does Spinoza say the language of the Bible is?
5. What natural calamity do European religious leaders label as the punishment of God?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)