|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What philosopher and statesman does Francis Bacon aspire to be like?
2. Significantly, who gets ignored in Bacon's utopia?
(a) Hobbes, Locke, and Bentham
(b) Copernicus and other scientists
(c) proponents of the New Atlantis
(d) Plato and Socrates
3. What does Voltaire do when he is sentenced to the Bastille a second time?
(a) goes to Switzerland
(b) escapes to England
(c) appeals to the Regent
(d) changes his name
4. What motivates Voltaire to accept Prince Frederick's invitation and travel expenses to join him in his court in Potsdam?
(a) his curiosity about German philosophy
(b) an opportunity to learn German
(c) a warrant for his arrest in Paris
(d) his sorrow after the death of his mistress
5. What question does Plato raise to lead into a discussion of Utopia?
(a) if an oligarchy is an appropriate government
(b) if democracy in Athens is working
(c) if everyone is satisfied
(d) if it is better to be good or to be strong
6. What does Aristotle devise to integrate the particular with the universal?
(a) metaphysical examination
(b) the Aristotlean Method
(c) the syllogism
7. What new philosophy uses faith and reason to force acceptance of untried assumptions and conclusions?
8. At what age does Plato advocate taking children from their parents to avoid learning bad habits?
(a) age ten
(b) at adolescence
(c) age three
(d) at birth
9. What circumstance does Spinoza say keeps the racial existence of the Jews?
(a) 3,500 years of Jewish tradition
(b) Jewish schools of higher education
(c) having no land to call their own
(d) persecution by Christians
10. What is Aristotle's foundation of logic?
(a) the way to make a syllogysm
(b) the art of listening
(c) the way to ask Socratic questions
(d) the art and method of correct thinking
11. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
(a) a means of testing
(b) a good use of rhetoric
(c) a clear objective
(d) a reforming zeal
12. Where is Francois Arouet when he starts using the pen name, Voltaire?
(a) sailing to the Americas
(b) studying at Oxford
(c) imprisoned in the Bastille
(d) recuperatiing from cholera
13. Eventually what does Alexander's conquests in Asia open up to the Greeks?
(a) Eastern monotheism
(b) cults and superstitious faiths
(c) important trade routes
(d) lavish lifestyles
14. Why does Spinoza say an allegorical interpretation of the Bible allows it to be?
(a) not difficult to understand
(b) not a book of rules and regulations
(c) not contrary to reason
(d) not a great mystery
15. What does Bacon call for elimination in his philosophy?
(a) the model of the philosopher king
(b) public education
(c) several errors he calls idols
(d) a private banking system
Short Answer Questions
1. What drives the Jews out of their natural home?
2. What does Bacon suggest should be observed similar to Machiavellian philosophy?
3. What does Plato say early education should do?
4. What is Spinoza's second book?
5. How does Voltaire think what is wrong with most recorded history could be corrected?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)