|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Voltaire think what is wrong with most recorded history could be corrected?
(a) only philosophers should write history
(b) history should be forgotten
(c) only scholars should write history
(d) history should only be written by scientists
2. At his birth in 384 B.C., into what kind of family is Aristotle born?
(a) a family of travelers
(b) a medical family
(c) a military family
(d) a family of philosophers
3. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
(a) age sixteen
(b) age fifty
(c) age thirty
(d) age twenty-four
4. What is said to change Plato's life?
(a) his time spent in Egypt
(b) his friendship with Philip of Macedon
(c) his meeting with Socrates
(d) his defection from the army
5. Who eventually dominates Greek philosophy and government?
(a) the libertarians
(b) the Macedonians Aristotle and Alexander
(c) the invading Persians
(d) the fierce Spartans
6. What does Bacon suggest should be observed similar to Machiavellian philosophy?
(a) how to discipline the masses
(b) the futility of the aristocratic form of government
(c) what men do rather than what they should do
(d) who has the most power
7. What does Aristotle devise to integrate the particular with the universal?
(b) the Aristotlean Method
(c) the syllogism
(d) metaphysical examination
8. Where does the Jewish migration along the Danube and Rhine rivers take the Jews?
(a) Spain and Portugal
(b) Poland and Russia
(c) Italy and Armenia
(d) Macedonia and Austria
9. In what way is Bacon's reconstruction thought superior to that of Aristotle?
(a) more practical than theoretical
(b) less detailed, evolving slowly
(c) less idealistic and more severe
(d) more flexible for the people
10. What does Voltaire include in his histories?
(a) art and not science
(b) customs and not laws
(c) society, not just wars
(d) people and not dates
11. Who in Voltaire's life is the young wife of a French Marquis who is away with his regiment?
(a) his neice
(b) his muse
(c) his secretary
(d) his mistress
12. Reducing everything through the Socratic Method, what do Socrates and Cephalus agree to discuss?
(a) the meaning of justice
(b) the meaning of war
(c) the meaning of philosophy
(d) the meaning of happiness
13. What are two theories from the Orient that gain acceptance in Greece?
(a) Confucianism and communism
(b) Buddhism and Hinduism
(c) Polytheism and atheism
(d) Stoicism and Epicureanism
14. What drives the Jews out of their natural home?
(a) the Holacaust
(b) Roman capture of Jerusalem in 70 A.D
(c) the conquest of the Crusaders
(d) the slave rebellion in Rome
15. What new philosophy uses faith and reason to force acceptance of untried assumptions and conclusions?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Spinoza say a literal interpretation of the Bible does?
2. What question does Plato raise to lead into a discussion of Utopia?
3. What does Aristotle establish in Athens?
4. What does Socrates ask Cephalus to define?
5. At what age does Plato advocate taking children from their parents to avoid learning bad habits?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)