|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one result of Aristotle's prolific output of writing?
(a) an error free reference library
(b) a large amount of errors
(c) a need to build larger libraries
(d) a definitive answer to all philosophical questions
2. What does Voltaire do when he is sentenced to the Bastille a second time?
(a) changes his name
(b) goes to Switzerland
(c) appeals to the Regent
(d) escapes to England
3. What does Aristotle say is the need of Motion?
(a) a place to happen
(b) a reason
(c) a source
4. Who are Francis Bacon's relative that cause it to be said that his political career began at his birth in 1561?
(a) pretenders to the English throne
(b) aristocrats from Spain and the Netherlands
(c) well-placed English aristocrats
(d) leaders of the Church of England
5. In what way is Bacon's reconstruction thought superior to that of Aristotle?
(a) less detailed, evolving slowly
(b) more practical than theoretical
(c) more flexible for the people
(d) less idealistic and more severe
6. To what does Spinoza change his Jewish given name?
(a) the Russian name, Igor
(b) the English name, John
(c) the gentile name, Benedict
(d) the German name, Hans
7. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
(a) age thirty
(b) age twenty-four
(c) age sixteen
(d) age fifty
8. What does the Roman empire eventually become?
(a) the Roman Federation
(b) the Roman Papacy
(c) the world's trade union
(d) the European Union
9. What does Socrates ask Cephalus to define?
(a) the best form of government
(b) the greatest blessing he receives from wealth
(c) the blessing he receives from education
(d) the meaning of the word moral
10. What does Spinoza do to support himself?
(a) writes for a newspaper
(b) grinds optical lenses
(c) gives violin lessons
(d) tutors students
11. What does Spinoza say the language of the Bible is?
12. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
(a) a good use of rhetoric
(b) a clear objective
(c) a means of testing
(d) a reforming zeal
13. Why does Spinoza say an allegorical interpretation of the Bible allows it to be?
(a) not a book of rules and regulations
(b) not contrary to reason
(c) not difficult to understand
(d) not a great mystery
14. What comprises Plato's writing style?
(a) mathematics, rhetoric, and music
(b) philosophy, rhetoric, and mathematics
(c) philosophy and poetry, science and art
(d) drama, science, and sophistry
15. What are two theories from the Orient that gain acceptance in Greece?
(a) Stoicism and Epicureanism
(b) Buddhism and Hinduism
(c) Confucianism and communism
(d) Polytheism and atheism
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Plato advocate taking children from their parents to avoid learning bad habits?
2. What biological notion does Aristotle reject?
3. What does the King of Syracuse learn that causes him to cancel his invitation to Plato to organize Utopia?
4. Where do metaphysics and the nature of God fit into Aristotle's curriculum?
5. How does Voltaire think what is wrong with most recorded history could be corrected?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)