|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What philosophy does Bacon accept in his Essays?
(a) a tendency toward Romanticism
(b) a Platonic ideal
(c) an Epicurean ethic
(d) a Stoic position
2. What does Plato say early education should do?
(a) teach logistics
(b) form good habits
(d) only amuse
3. What circumstance does Spinoza say keeps the racial existence of the Jews?
(a) Jewish schools of higher education
(b) 3,500 years of Jewish tradition
(c) having no land to call their own
(d) persecution by Christians
4. What does not affect France like it does Germany and England?
(a) The Reformation
(b) The Renaissance
(c) The Crusades
(d) The Revolution
5. What does the King of Syracuse learn that causes him to cancel his invitation to Plato to organize Utopia?
(a) that he will have to work for a living
(b) that he must share his wealth
(c) that he must leave his throne
(d) that Plato is unpopular in Athens
6. What new philosophy uses faith and reason to force acceptance of untried assumptions and conclusions?
7. What are two theories from the Orient that gain acceptance in Greece?
(a) Polytheism and atheism
(b) Confucianism and communism
(c) Stoicism and Epicureanism
(d) Buddhism and Hinduism
8. Who are the students of Socrates?
(a) the leaders of the athenian democracy
(b) the sons of the Athenian elite
(c) misfits of society
(d) a mixed group of young learned men
9. What philosopher and statesman does Francis Bacon aspire to be like?
10. To what end does Socrates develop his Socratic Method?
(a) to impress the multitudes
(b) to perfom biological experiments
(c) to open a private university
(d) to test the assumptions of his pupils
11. What event makes the rival schools of Stoicism and Epicureanism split philosophically?
(a) the disintegration of public infrastructures
(b) the resurgance of Judaism
(c) the arrival of missionaries from the East
(d) the Romans' arrival in 46 B.C.
12. To what does Spinoza change his Jewish given name?
(a) the English name, John
(b) the German name, Hans
(c) the Russian name, Igor
(d) the gentile name, Benedict
13. What does Democritus claim that Aristotle disagrees with?
(a) the soul is imaginary
(b) the soul is temporary
(c) the soul is material
(d) there is no such thing as soul
14. What are the only three things worthwhile in Plato's ethical solution?
(a) justice, truth, beauty
(b) philosophy, music, poetry
(c) travel, study, rhetoric
(d) beauty, athleticism, education
15. What is a special element of soul in the human being according to Aristotle?
(a) a power of understanding metaphysics
(b) a power to dominate
(c) a power to dream
(d) a power of reason and thought
Short Answer Questions
1. What is something Voltaire is noted for with his critics?
2. When is Plato born?
3. Where is Francois Arouet when he starts using the pen name, Voltaire?
4. How does Voltaire think what is wrong with most recorded history could be corrected?
5. How does Spinoza find himself after asking questions about Jewish and Christian beliefs?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)