|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Voltaire's Essay on Morals become?
(a) a template for how to do research
(b) the basis of modern historical science
(c) a book banned by every nations
(d) the last of his great works
2. What is the first of four books written by Spinoza?
(a) The Fall of the Roman Empire
(b) The History of War
(c) The Philosophy of the Ages
(d) The Treatise on Religion and the State
3. What does Spinoza do to support himself?
(a) tutors students
(b) gives violin lessons
(c) writes for a newspaper
(d) grinds optical lenses
4. Reducing everything through the Socratic Method, what do Socrates and Cephalus agree to discuss?
(a) the meaning of justice
(b) the meaning of war
(c) the meaning of philosophy
(d) the meaning of happiness
5. What does Spinoza's Ethic do with Buddhism and Christianity, the philosophy of Machiavelli and Nietzsche, and the democracy of the Greeks?
(a) throws them out in favor of his own ideas
(b) takes only bits and pieces from each
(c) integrates and reconciles all three ethical systems
(d) keeps them separate for different ethnic groups
6. What does Plato say early education should do?
(a) only amuse
(c) form good habits
(d) teach logistics
7. Significantly, who gets ignored in Bacon's utopia?
(a) Copernicus and other scientists
(b) Plato and Socrates
(c) proponents of the New Atlantis
(d) Hobbes, Locke, and Bentham
8. When does Plato return to Athens and begin to write?
(a) at the age of thirty while touring the middle east
(b) at the age of fifty in 397 B. C.
(c) at the age of twenty-eight when Socrates dies
(d) at the age of forty in 387 B.C.
9. In what way is Bacon's reconstruction thought superior to that of Aristotle?
(a) more flexible for the people
(b) less idealistic and more severe
(c) less detailed, evolving slowly
(d) more practical than theoretical
10. How does Voltaire think what is wrong with most recorded history could be corrected?
(a) history should only be written by scientists
(b) only scholars should write history
(c) history should be forgotten
(d) only philosophers should write history
11. What does Aristotle say is the need of Motion?
(a) a source
(c) a reason
(d) a place to happen
12. Who in Voltaire's life is the young wife of a French Marquis who is away with his regiment?
(a) his neice
(b) his secretary
(c) his muse
(d) his mistress
13. What new philosophy uses faith and reason to force acceptance of untried assumptions and conclusions?
14. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
(a) age sixteen
(b) age twenty-four
(c) age thirty
(d) age fifty
15. What does Aristotle establish in Athens?
(a) a school of oratory
(b) a political party
(c) a system of exchange
(d) a scientific museum
Short Answer Questions
1. What comprises Plato's writing style?
2. What natural calamity do European religious leaders label as the punishment of God?
3. How far is Alexander able to spread Greek culture?
4. What drives the Jews out of their natural home?
5. What does Aristotle devise to integrate the particular with the universal?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)