|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Contemporary American Philosophers.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does not affect France like it does Germany and England?
(a) The Renaissance
(b) The Crusades
(c) The Revolution
(d) The Reformation
2. What does Spencer comment on long before Darwin's theory of natural selection becomes popular by the end of the 1800s?
(b) natural science
3. To what does Spinoza change his Jewish given name?
(a) the gentile name, Benedict
(b) the English name, John
(c) the German name, Hans
(d) the Russian name, Igor
4. What rouses the world from dogmatism?
(a) Francis Bacon's Essays
(b) Voltaire's Candide
(c) the philosophy of Locke, Berkeley, and Hume
(d) Kant's Critique of Pure Reason
5. What biological notion does Aristotle reject?
(a) survival of the fittest
(c) extinction of species
(d) evolution of species
Short Answer Questions
1. What work of Spencer's theorizes that all ultimate religious ideas eventually become logically inconceivable?
2. What new philosophy uses faith and reason to force acceptance of untried assumptions and conclusions?
3. What is the first of four books written by Spinoza?
4. What does Spencer label as the art of methodical self-confusion?
5. What does Kant insist must be absolute and derived only from the inner self by direct perception and intuition?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)