|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voltaire and the French Enlightenment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
(a) a good use of rhetoric
(b) a reforming zeal
(c) a means of testing
(d) a clear objective
2. What philosopher and statesman does Francis Bacon aspire to be like?
3. Significantly, who gets ignored in Bacon's utopia?
(a) Plato and Socrates
(b) Hobbes, Locke, and Bentham
(c) Copernicus and other scientists
(d) proponents of the New Atlantis
4. What happened after Spinoza dispensed with faith?
(a) the faithful were devastated
(b) religion died
(c) the faithful dispensed with him
(d) new religions sprang up
5. What does Bacon suggest should be observed similar to Machiavellian philosophy?
(a) who has the most power
(b) what men do rather than what they should do
(c) the futility of the aristocratic form of government
(d) how to discipline the masses
Short Answer Questions
1. What philosophy does Bacon accept in his Essays?
2. What are two theories from the Orient that gain acceptance in Greece?
3. What natural calamity do European religious leaders label as the punishment of God?
4. Where do metaphysics and the nature of God fit into Aristotle's curriculum?
5. What does Plato say is a science and art one must live and prepare for?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)