|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Voltaire and the French Enlightenment.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Plato return to Athens and begin to write?
(a) at the age of forty in 387 B.C.
(b) at the age of fifty in 397 B. C.
(c) at the age of thirty while touring the middle east
(d) at the age of twenty-eight when Socrates dies
2. What is something Voltaire is noted for with his critics?
(a) destroying enemies with a pen
(b) challenging his enemies to duels
(c) ignoring his enemies
(d) suing his enemies in court
3. At his birth in 384 B.C., into what kind of family is Aristotle born?
(a) a military family
(b) a medical family
(c) a family of travelers
(d) a family of philosophers
4. To answer Rousseau, what satirical story does Voltaire write about the best of all possible worlds?
(a) The Misanthrope
5. What does Bacon call for elimination in his philosophy?
(a) the model of the philosopher king
(b) a private banking system
(c) public education
(d) several errors he calls idols
Short Answer Questions
1. What comprises Plato's writing style?
2. How does every society and government ruins itself?
3. What is Aristotle's foundation of logic?
4. Where is Francois Arouet when he starts using the pen name, Voltaire?
5. In what way is Bacon's reconstruction thought superior to that of Aristotle?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)