|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spinoza.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Spinoza's second book?
(a) The Political Treatise
(c) The Treatise on Religion and the State
(d) The Improvement of the Intellect
2. What is said to change Plato's life?
(a) his friendship with Philip of Macedon
(b) his defection from the army
(c) his time spent in Egypt
(d) his meeting with Socrates
3. Why does Spinoza say an allegorical interpretation of the Bible allows it to be?
(a) not a book of rules and regulations
(b) not contrary to reason
(c) not difficult to understand
(d) not a great mystery
4. Who are the students of Socrates?
(a) the sons of the Athenian elite
(b) misfits of society
(c) a mixed group of young learned men
(d) the leaders of the athenian democracy
5. Significantly, who gets ignored in Bacon's utopia?
(a) proponents of the New Atlantis
(b) Copernicus and other scientists
(c) Plato and Socrates
(d) Hobbes, Locke, and Bentham
Short Answer Questions
1. What method do all the fields of study--science, discipline, art and music--use in common?
2. Where is a meeting held to discuss the Republic?
3. What does Aristotle devise to integrate the particular with the universal?
4. What does Plato say is a science and art one must live and prepare for?
5. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)