|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spinoza.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is a meeting held to discuss the Republic?
(a) at the Lyceum
(b) at the Acropolis
(c) at the house of a wealthy aristocrat, Cephalus
(d) in the Parthenon
2. What does Baruch Spinoza begin to feel about his traditional Jewish education?
(a) unsatisfied with answers he gets in the synagogue
(b) confused by different interpretations of the Torah
(c) fulfilled educationally
(d) tired with how long it takes
3. What is the foundation of Plato's Republic?
(a) destroying individuality for an idealized state
(b) creating contributing classes of people
(c) putting the state in a subservient position
(d) allowing individuality to flourish
4. Reducing everything through the Socratic Method, what do Socrates and Cephalus agree to discuss?
(a) the meaning of war
(b) the meaning of philosophy
(c) the meaning of happiness
(d) the meaning of justice
5. When does Plato return to Athens and begin to write?
(a) at the age of forty in 387 B.C.
(b) at the age of fifty in 397 B. C.
(c) at the age of twenty-eight when Socrates dies
(d) at the age of thirty while touring the middle east
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened after Spinoza dispensed with faith?
2. What event makes the rival schools of Stoicism and Epicureanism split philosophically?
3. What, according to Spinoza, is scripture intended to promote?
4. What does Plato say is a science and art one must live and prepare for?
5. Who eventually dominates Greek philosophy and government?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)