|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spinoza.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Spinoza say the language of the Bible is?
2. Who are the students of Socrates?
(a) the leaders of the athenian democracy
(b) a mixed group of young learned men
(c) the sons of the Athenian elite
(d) misfits of society
3. Who eventually dominates Greek philosophy and government?
(a) the invading Persians
(b) the Macedonians Aristotle and Alexander
(c) the fierce Spartans
(d) the libertarians
4. What does Spinoza suggest the aim of Biblical language is meant to do?
(a) to conceal great mysteries
(b) to compete with Greek mythology
(c) to attract intellectuals
(d) to attract the imagination of popular minds
5. What does Spinoza call the highest knowledge of universal unity?
(a) understanding the influence of the stars
(b) the lessons from philosophers of the past
(c) the intellectual equivalent of the love of God
(d) the educated answers to philosophical questions
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Spinoza explain references to God's halting the natural function of nature on several occasions in the Bible?
2. What becomes the unifying element in Plato's description of justice?
3. What does Aristotle say is the need of Motion?
4. What philosopher and statesman does Francis Bacon aspire to be like?
5. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)