|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Francis Bacon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aristotle's foundation of logic?
(a) the way to make a syllogysm
(b) the art of listening
(c) the art and method of correct thinking
(d) the way to ask Socratic questions
2. What does the King of Syracuse learn that causes him to cancel his invitation to Plato to organize Utopia?
(a) that Plato is unpopular in Athens
(b) that he will have to work for a living
(c) that he must share his wealth
(d) that he must leave his throne
3. What are two theories from the Orient that gain acceptance in Greece?
(a) Buddhism and Hinduism
(b) Stoicism and Epicureanism
(c) Polytheism and atheism
(d) Confucianism and communism
4. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
(a) a good use of rhetoric
(b) a clear objective
(c) a means of testing
(d) a reforming zeal
5. What is said to change Plato's life?
(a) his time spent in Egypt
(b) his meeting with Socrates
(c) his defection from the army
(d) his friendship with Philip of Macedon
Short Answer Questions
1. Although science and philosophy exists in Greece before their times, who were the teachers who greatly advanced the fields?
2. What question does Plato raise to lead into a discussion of Utopia?
3. What comprises Plato's writing style?
4. How old is Francis Bacon when he resolves to turn philosophy from scholastic arguments to illumination and increase of human good?
5. What does Aristotle say is the need of Motion?
This section contains 294 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)