|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Francis Bacon.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event makes the rival schools of Stoicism and Epicureanism split philosophically?
(a) the Romans' arrival in 46 B.C.
(b) the disintegration of public infrastructures
(c) the arrival of missionaries from the East
(d) the resurgance of Judaism
2. Significantly, who gets ignored in Bacon's utopia?
(a) proponents of the New Atlantis
(b) Copernicus and other scientists
(c) Plato and Socrates
(d) Hobbes, Locke, and Bentham
3. What is said to change Plato's life?
(a) his meeting with Socrates
(b) his time spent in Egypt
(c) his defection from the army
(d) his friendship with Philip of Macedon
4. How does every society and government ruins itself?
(a) by being too constrictive
(b) by enabling excess in principle
(c) by letting down their guard
(d) by growing tired
5. What becomes the unifying element in Plato's description of justice?
(a) the quality of the laws
(b) the welfare of the group
(c) the sharing of the wealth
(d) the good of the children
Short Answer Questions
1. Eventually what does Alexander's conquests in Asia open up to the Greeks?
2. Like Aristotle, what does Bacon see needs to be removed to avoid revolution?
3. What biological notion does Aristotle reject?
4. How far is Alexander able to spread Greek culture?
5. What is lacking in Aristotle's philosophy that is so evident in Plato's?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)