|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Schopenhauer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Democritus claim that Aristotle disagrees with?
(a) the soul is imaginary
(b) the soul is temporary
(c) there is no such thing as soul
(d) the soul is material
2. What is Voltaire's literary output?
(a) hundreds of manuscripts
(b) three plays, four novels, and 100 essays
(c) fifty-four volumes of work
(d) ninety-nine volumes
3. What does Durant say the beginning of Schopenhauer's book contains?
(a) two-hundred pages of second-hand idealism
(b) sound and fury signifying nothing
(c) lackluster descriptions of Europe
(d) unreadable prose taken from Kant
4. What does Schopenhauer see as the cause of strife and misery?
(d) the will
5. How does Spinoza explain references to God's halting the natural function of nature on several occasions in the Bible?
(a) things like that spring from traditions
(b) God and the processes of nature are one
(c) those are allegories of God's power
(d) the meaning is not clear in the scripture
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, what medium does Voltaire use to give humorous expression to his ideas?
2. What does Aristotle establish in Athens?
3. Eventually what does Alexander's conquests in Asia open up to the Greeks?
4. Where is Francois Arouet when he starts using the pen name, Voltaire?
5. What circumstance does Spinoza say keeps the racial existence of the Jews?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)