|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator ruminate on as he sits in the tunnel?
2. According to Howard, what are the BNAs?
3. Who was the character in the Charmin bathroom tissue commercials?
4. According to the narrator, how do Camper people drive?
5. What local landmark did the narrator see when returning to his hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what does the narrator credit the Johnson Smith catalog for being and how will it stand up as an American culture artifact?
2. Describe how Mr. Leggett managed to drive The Happy Cow out of business.
3. What prompts the narrator to think of the Johnson Smith catalog?
4. What scenario does the narrator imagine in which archaeologists discover television advertising and what are their perceptions of it?
5. Why does the narrator focus on TV commercials as a true reflection of American society?
6. How does the narrator's experience in the Lincoln Tunnel mirror his demeanor during his school years?
7. Define a BNA and cite some supporting examples.
8. What is the imaginary Sociology lecture the narrator gives on car culture and describe the differences between the Camper Crowd and Van people.
9. How was the great Ice Cream War another example of brains vs. brawn in the narrator's life?
10. What defense mechanisms did the kids in the back of the room develop in order to deflect the teachers' questions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give some examples of humor in the book. Do you think Shepherd appreciated slapstick humor or wit of a more sophisticated nature? Or both? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of the narrator. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region? What are the major differences Shepherd found as he traveled from place to place?
This section contains 1,229 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)