|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Howard's client?
2. How did the narrator manage to escape taking the final Algebra exam?
3. What kind of car did the narrator's family have?
4. What is the narrator's brother's name?
5. What fact learned in class does the narrator still use in cocktail party conversations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrator's surprise inspiration in Algebra class and how he avoided looking like the failure he was sure he was.
2. What has the NLGA done to try to counteract the negative perceptions of lemons?
3. With what does the narrator credit the Johnson Smith catalog for being and how will it stand up as an American culture artifact?
4. What was the worst case scenario of a BNA?
5. Why do people find items such as those found in the Johnson Smith catalog to be humorous?
6. What prompts the narrator to think of the Johnson Smith catalog?
7. How does the narrator recall growing up in his family in small-town Indiana?
8. Describe how Mr. Leggett managed to drive The Happy Cow out of business.
9. How does the narrator speculate that the archaeologists might think the commercials are somehow religious media?
10. What ironies does the narrator point out in the actuality of camper and van usage as opposed to the typical perceptions of the vehicles?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of the narrator. What are his physical characteristics? What are his personality traits? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What else can you say about the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator introduces the reader to several types of people in the book. Do you think he liked any one of them more than the others? Who would you choose to be your new friend among the people the narrator introduced in the book? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region? What are the major differences Shepherd found as he traveled from place to place?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)