|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator, how do Camper people drive?
2. Who was the owner of the Igloo ice cream shop?
3. Where did the narrator meet his friend, Howard, for lunch?
4. According to the narrator, Van people are ___________________.
5. What does the narrator ruminate on as he sits in the tunnel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prompts the narrator to think about advertising and a future archaeological dig where New York City is excavated?
2. What are the differences in driving styles between the Camper Crowd and van people?
3. What human foibles does the Johnson Smith catalog prey on and why does the narrator appreciate it?
4. Why do people find items such as those found in the Johnson Smith catalog to be humorous?
5. What defense mechanisms did the kids in the back of the room develop in order to deflect the teachers' questions?
6. What was the worst case scenario of a BNA?
7. Describe the narrator's surprise inspiration in Algebra class and how he avoided looking like the failure he was sure he was.
8. Describe how Mr. Leggett managed to drive The Happy Cow out of business.
9. How was the great Ice Cream War another example of brains vs. brawn in the narrator's life?
10. With what does the narrator credit the Johnson Smith catalog for being and how will it stand up as an American culture artifact?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shepherd was masterful at crafting literary descriptions for his readers. Choose a paragraph from the book which you find especially descriptive. How do you think Shepherd was able to craft it the way he did? What is so appealing to you about the passage? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title, "A FISTFUL OF FIG NEWTONS." Why did Shepherd choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be just as appropriate?
Essay Topic 3
Shepherd was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)