|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the character in the Charmin bathroom tissue commercials?
2. What fact learned in class does the narrator still use in cocktail party conversations?
3. What was the name of the corporate-owned ice cream parlor that moved into town?
4. What item is marketed to both cyclists and ladies in the Johnson Smith catalog?
5. What is the picture on the side of the bus that stops beside the narrator?
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in the stories. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the stories that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Shepherd was a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony. Briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Shepherd choose to use the first person narrator perspective for the stories? What does this point of view entail? What do you know about the characters and the plot lines that you would not know from a different point of view? What do you NOT know about the characters and plot lines based on this point of view?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)