|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item in the catalog would appeal to the violent?
(a) Fake teeth.
(c) Jump ropes.
(d) Brass knuckles.
2. What was the name of the corporate-owned ice cream parlor that moved into town?
(a) Mooooore's Ice Cream.
(b) The Happy Cow.
(c) The Big Swirl.
(d) Moovelous Ice Cream.
3. Two words likely to be found on the bumper stickers of vans are love and ____________.
4. What mantra did the narrator develop in class?
(a) Don't call on me.
(b) I'm not here.
(c) You don't see me.
(d) I'm not the one you want.
5. What does the narrator ruminate on as he sits in the tunnel?
(a) The unknowability of God.
(c) The meaning of life.
(d) His crazy relatives.
6. The exuberant colors, dancing, and music of the commercials have an element of ______________ about them.
(a) schizophrenic behavior.
(b) tribal worship.
(c) mating rituals.
(d) intergalactic communication.
7. The term "lemon" when used to refer to a bad car began with a man who lost a race in ____________ in 1903.
(a) Orlando, Florida.
(b) Chicago, Illinois.
(c) Knoxville, Tennessee.
(d) Kalamazoo, Michigan.
8. What was the name of the General Motors magazine for which the narrator wrote an article?
(c) On the Move.
9. What was the narrator's mother cooking for dinner?
(c) Tuna and noodles.
10. What kind of car did the narrator's family have?
11. In what class did the narrator's back row fakery defenses not work?
12. The narrator gives an imaginary lecture on ____________________.
(a) Art history.
(b) Car culture.
13. The narrator compares Van Culture with the ___________________.
(a) Camper Crowd.
(b) Cycle Crowd.
(c) Station Wagon Set.
(d) Sedan Set.
14. According to the narrator, Van people are ___________________.
(c) Soccer moms.
(d) Bearded hippies.
15. What did the narrator's father do first when he came home from work?
(a) Took a nap.
(b) Took a shower.
(c) Got a beer.
(d) Kissed his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. The archaeologists may think that a dog in a commercial is a __________________.
2. What happened to the narrator's middle school diploma?
3. What was the title of the article that the narrator wrote for the GM magazine?
4. Why does the narrator find the environmentally conscious bumper stickers on vans ironic?
5. What might the archaeologists think the car is used for in a Chevrolet commercial?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)