|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the truck in front of the narrator carrying?
(a) Flattened cars.
2. What does the narrator think as he is stalled in this chapter?
(a) What he is going to have for dinner.
(b) How much beer he has at home.
(c) How much his head hurts.
(d) How each generation attacks the next.
3. To what does the narrator compare the Margate Elephant?
(a) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) Frisch's Big Boy.
4. The tendency of all New Jerseyites to long for home is called ____________________.
(a) Old Folks Week.
(b) Home Sweet New Jersey.
(c) New Jersey Nostalgia.
(d) There's No Place Like New Jersey.
5. What is the building made to look like a ship near the New Jersey highway?
(a) H.M.S. New Jersey.
(c) USS New Jersey.
(d) Titanic II.
6. What happens to the boys when they are in search of clues?
(a) They fall out of a treehouse.
(b) They get struck by lightning.
(c) They get lost in a cave.
(d) They fall into a ravine.
7. What does the narrator consider the place he is stranded?
8. What does the narrator say is like a sentence in hell?
(a) Quitting smoking.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Washing pots and pans.
(d) 24-hour guard duty.
9. Who finds the treasure hunt prize?
(b) The narrator.
10. Where is the narrator traveling as the book opens?
(a) New York to Pennsylvania.
(b) New Jersey to New York.
(c) New York to New Jersey.
(d) New York to Boston.
11. What are the older campers at the narrator's childhood summer camp called?
12. What type of boat do the campers get to try?
13. To the narrator, New Jersey symbolizes ___________________.
(a) elegant culture.
(b) American culture.
(c) white trash culture.
(d) primitive culture.
14. What does Ernie get off the train to do?
(a) Buy some magazines.
(b) Buy beer.
(c) Make a phone call.
(d) Get some fresh air.
15. Where is the narrator as this chapter begins?
(a) On a bus.
(b) On a plane.
(c) In his car.
(d) In the subway.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what conditions did Balzac write?
2. What do the boys fear as they try to get to sleep?
3. On what highway was the narrator traveling the day before?
4. What is the prize for the winning lodge?
5. From what city does the summer camp bus depart?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)