|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food does the narrator dish out when he is working on the train?
(d) Meat loaf.
2. What traffic function is common in New Jersey?
(a) Traffic Circles.
(b) Higher speed limits.
(c) Right turn on red.
(d) One way streets.
3. What is the culminating event of the summer at camp?
(a) A trip to Pizza Hut.
(b) A treasure hunt.
(c) An awards ceremony.
(d) A mixer with the girls' camp.
4. How does the chubby Chipmunk retaliate against Captain Crabtree's authoritarian manner?
(a) He vomits on him.
(b) He spits on him.
(c) He bites him.
(d) He kicks him in the groin.
5. What does the narrator throw down from his window on some picketers during his college days?
(b) A paper airplane.
(c) Cold water.
(d) Water balloons.
6. The head of the camp swears in the boys with an oath and _____________________.
(a) The Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) A secret wolf call.
(d) A bird call.
7. Where does the narrator think many great ideas are invented?
(a) On the toilet.
(b) At MIT.
(c) At family reunions.
(d) In Algebra classes.
8. Who is in the car in front of the narrator?
(c) An elderly couple.
(d) College kids.
9. What name does the narrator say to call him even though it is not his real name?
10. How does the narrator view the foibles of mankind in his corner of the world?
(a) With disregard.
(b) With love.
(c) With irritation.
(d) With hate.
11. Where is the narrator's childhood summer camp located?
12. What does Ernie get off the train to do?
(a) Buy some magazines.
(b) Get some fresh air.
(c) Make a phone call.
(d) Buy beer.
13. To what does the narrator compare the Margate Elephant?
(b) Frisch's Big Boy.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
14. What does Lieutenant Cherry warn the men about not doing so the locals won't come after them with guns?
(a) Date the local girls.
(b) Doing drugs.
(c) Get drunk and rowdy.
(d) Talk about the pretty girls.
15. What surprising things do the boys find as they pick up trash?
(a) Beer cans.
(b) Whiskey bottles.
(d) Cigarette butts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the boys frightened during swimming lessons?
2. In addition to the Statue of Liberty, what else does the narrator think is an American construct of false Utopia?
3. Why does Colonel Bullard berate the boys of the Mole Lodge?
4. Camp demerits result in the loss of privileges such as _______________.
5. In what format does the narrator recall the information about writers?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)