|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the sergeant make Dan Baxter do when he catches Dan smoking?
(a) Smoke the pack of cigarettes with a bucket over his head.
(b) Cut up the cigarettes with a tomahawk.
(c) Drench the cigarettes in a bucket of water.
(d) Throw away the cigarettes in the outhouse.
2. What could the narrator tell about the tailgater?
(a) He wore a Yankees hat.
(b) He was picking his nose.
(c) He nicked himself shaving.
(d) He had tortoise shell glasses.
3. What is the narrator's favorite snack?
(d) Fig Newtons.
4. The narrator ruminates that the place he is stranded can ___________________.
(a) make men mad.
(b) waste a man's life.
(c) be a great diversion.
(d) be unhealthy.
5. What was the truck in front of the narrator carrying?
(b) Flattened cars.
6. What does Lieutenant Cherry warn the men about not doing so the locals won't come after them with guns?
(a) Talk about the pretty girls.
(b) Date the local girls.
(c) Doing drugs.
(d) Get drunk and rowdy.
7. What does the narrator say is like a sentence in hell?
(a) Washing pots and pans.
(b) Doing laundry.
(c) Quitting smoking.
(d) 24-hour guard duty.
8. What does Kissel make in leathercraft?
(a) A belt.
(b) A wallet.
(c) A shoulder holster for his father's bourbon bottle.
(d) A batting glove.
9. Where was the treasure hunt prize found?
(a) The mess hall.
(b) A display case.
(c) A treehouse.
(d) A cave.
10. How did the narrator pay for college expenses?
(a) Bank student loans.
(b) Trust fund.
(c) GI Bill.
11. The head of the camp swears in the boys with an oath and _____________________.
(a) The Pledge of Allegiance.
(c) A bird call.
(d) A secret wolf call.
12. What is the name of the train onto which the men are loaded?
(a) The Widow Maker.
(b) The B&O Railroad.
(c) The Juggernaut.
(d) The Georgia Peach.
13. What does the narrator imagine killing him as he tried to evade the tailgater?
(a) The tailgater.
(b) A semi.
(c) A 1951 Studebaker.
(d) A hitchhiker.
14. To the narrator, New Jersey symbolizes ___________________.
(a) elegant culture.
(b) American culture.
(c) primitive culture.
(d) white trash culture.
15. What does the narrator do after passing out food for fifteen hours straight?
(a) Goes AWOL.
(b) Falling into the food.
(d) Falling asleep on his feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator think as he is stalled in this chapter?
2. At the end of camp the Chipmunks are promoted to _____________.
3. With whom does the narrator share his favorite snack?
4. What does Ernie get off the train to do?
5. How does the chubby Chipmunk retaliate against Captain Crabtree's authoritarian manner?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)