|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Berger et al., why does ordinary life have more meaning when recorded on a canvas?
2. What could be said about the contents of Chapter 4?
3. What is similar about the two paintings by Courbet on pages 124 and 125?
4. What covers the Knoll Ball Room?
5. What primarily constitutes a landscape painting as traditional oil techniques are developed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Berger et al. propose the metaphor that traditional European oil painting is a wall safe into which the ways of seeing are deposited. Write an essay with the following parts.
Part 1 - Explain this metaphor made by Berger et al.
Part 2 - Compare the metaphor of Berger et al. to the classic metaphor that oil painting is a window unto the world.
Part 3 - Explain your opinion: Do you agree with the metaphor of Berger et al.? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
This section contains 1,361 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)