|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what images are on pages 120 and 121?
2. What could easily be stated as the theme of the paintings on pages 68 and 69?
3. Which of the following is a common theme in the images on pages 116 and 117?
4. What types of images are paired together on pages 126 and 127?
5. What is different about an art collector compared to a collector of other objects?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
2. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
3. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
4. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
5. How is Ford Madox Brown's nineteenth century painting titled "The Pretty Baa Lambs" slightly humorous against the other images on pages 66 and 67?
6. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
7. Describe the painting "Europe supported by Africa and America" by William Blake, and propose the message the artist is sending through the work.
8. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
9. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
10. In Chapter 6, explain how facing pages 116 and 117 return to Blake's theme of Africa and America supporting Europe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a three-part essay to explain the ideas presented on the differences between men and women.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' opinions on the difference between how a man and woman are positioned in society, and discuss why.
Part 2 - Explain the difference between how a man views himself and how a woman must view herself.
Part 3 - Explain Berger et al.'s idea on how a woman must see herself as a sight.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to describe the word "glamour" according to Berger et al. What is glamour? How does glamour fuel the consumer society? What is considered glamorous and how does this shape culture? How is glamour the modern day substitute for the qualities presented in European oil paintings?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how there is a gap between words and sight as described by Berger et al. Use Magritte's painting "The Key of Dreams" as an example in your writing.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)