|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which words best describe the mood of the paintings on pages 66 and 67?
2. According to Berger et al., what does traditional oil painting effectively do?
3. Which statement best describes photography in 1883?
4. What is the main difference in the effect on the viewer between the two Rembrandt self-portraits?
5. How could one best describe Hans Baldung Grien's "Three ages of Women"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
2. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
3. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
4. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
5. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
6. Describe the painting "Europe supported by Africa and America" by William Blake, and propose the message the artist is sending through the work.
7. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
8. In Chapter 6, explain how facing pages 116 and 117 return to Blake's theme of Africa and America supporting Europe.
9. What objects are common subjects for traditional oil paintings, and how are they conventionally depicted?
10. Describe how Holbein's work "The Ambassadors" is typical of traditional oil paintings and the manner of presenting the subjects, as explained by the authors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 3
Write a three-part essay to explain the ideas presented on the differences between men and women.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' opinions on the difference between how a man and woman are positioned in society, and discuss why.
Part 2 - Explain the difference between how a man views himself and how a woman must view herself.
Part 3 - Explain Berger et al.'s idea on how a woman must see herself as a sight.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)