|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the paired images on pages 126 and 127?
2. Why is it a significant accomplishment for an artist to paint children at play?
3. In Chapter 4, what are the images depictions of on pages 66 and 67?
4. From what time period are the images on pages 120 and 121?
5. What do navigational instruments generally symbolize in a traditional oil painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
2. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
3. According to the authors, how is a collector of art different than a collector of other things?
4. Describe how Holbein's work "The Ambassadors" is typical of traditional oil paintings and the manner of presenting the subjects, as explained by the authors.
5. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
6. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
7. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
8. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
9. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
10. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to describe how works of art from the past mystify viewers in the present. Answer the following questions in your writing. Where do the viewers see themselves when they observe a work of art from the past? What depictions are easily misinterpreted from historical art works? Do you think that viewers in the present see the same sight as viewers from the past when they look at a work of art from the past? Support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)