Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character often appears in the images on pages 72 and 73?
2. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
3. What do paintings of children demonstrate about the patron who commissioned the work?
4. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
5. What is different about an art collector compared to a collector of other objects?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 2
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)