|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it a significant accomplishment for an artist to paint children at play?
2. Which words best describe the setting of "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine"?
3. What is the most true about Chapter 4?
4. Who is considered a master of traditional European oil painting?
5. Which phrase is a good description of how Demoiselles is portrayed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What objects are common subjects for traditional oil paintings, and how are they conventionally depicted?
2. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
3. How is Ford Madox Brown's nineteenth century painting titled "The Pretty Baa Lambs" slightly humorous against the other images on pages 66 and 67?
4. Explain how the pairs of paintings and photographs in Chapter 6 on pages 126 and 127 complement each other.
5. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
6. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
7. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
8. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
9. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
10. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to describe how works of art from the past mystify viewers in the present. Answer the following questions in your writing. Where do the viewers see themselves when they observe a work of art from the past? What depictions are easily misinterpreted from historical art works? Do you think that viewers in the present see the same sight as viewers from the past when they look at a work of art from the past? Support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)