|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the extraordinary significance of works such as" A Family Group" by Nouts?
2. In Chapter 6, what images are on pages 120 and 121?
3. Why is it a significant accomplishment for an artist to paint children at play?
4. Until approximately what date does the period of traditional oil painting run through?
5. In what general style are most of the images in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
2. According to the authors, how is a collector of art different than a collector of other things?
3. Describe Couture's eighteenth century painting "A Roman Feast", and explain how it plays into the other images on the facing page.
4. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
5. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
6. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
7. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
8. Describe the painting "Europe supported by Africa and America" by William Blake, and propose the message the artist is sending through the work.
9. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
10. Describe how Holbein's work "The Ambassadors" is typical of traditional oil paintings and the manner of presenting the subjects, as explained by the authors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the development of the singular eye of perspective with the following three-part essay.
Part 1 - Explain Berger et al.'s metaphor of the lighthouse beacon.
Part 2 - Describe how the singular eye of perspective shapes the way viewers can see a sight.
Part 3 - Explain how the invention of the camera changed the singular eye of perspective, and describe its consequences on the art world.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)