|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Berger et al., why does ordinary life have more meaning when recorded on a canvas?
2. What is extraordinary about painting subjects such as children?
3. What makes the self-portraits on pages 80 and 81 interesting to the viewer?
4. What does Couture's painting "A Roman Feast" display?
5. What tends to be the central figure(s) in the images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
2. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
3. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
4. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
5. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
6. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
7. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
8. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
9. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
10. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a three-part essay to explain the ideas presented on the differences between men and women.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' opinions on the difference between how a man and woman are positioned in society, and discuss why.
Part 2 - Explain the difference between how a man views himself and how a woman must view herself.
Part 3 - Explain Berger et al.'s idea on how a woman must see herself as a sight.
Essay Topic 2
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to explain and compare how both traditional oil painting and modern publicity images stimulate consumerism and shape cultural ideals. Complete the following parts to the essay.
Part 1 - Describe how traditional oil painting is the basis for modern consumer culture.
Part 2 - Explain how publicity images carry the same ingredients for consumerism as European oil paintings.
Part 3 - Compare how color photographs are more effective publicity images than black and white photographs, and how this is similar to the techniques of European oil painting.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)