|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what images are on pages 120 and 121?
2. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
3. When was oil painting first developed?
4. What is the most true about Chapter 4?
5. What is visually similar about the paintings "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes" and " Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
2. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
3. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
4. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
5. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
6. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
7. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
8. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
9. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
10. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
Essay Topic 2
Write the following three-part essay to explain how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Part 1 - Describe what the authors mean by "ways of seeing."
Part 2 - Describe why individuals all have different ways of seeing.
Part 3 - Give some examples that demonstrate how individuals have different ways of seeing.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)