|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nattier's "Mademoiselle de Clermonte" depict?
2. Which phrase is a good description of how Demoiselles is portrayed?
3. Until approximately what date does the period of traditional oil painting run through?
4. In Chapter 6, which painting best shows the humanity of its subject?
5. In what way does the ruling class of a period support or promote their own way of seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
2. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
3. Describe how Holbein's work "The Ambassadors" is typical of traditional oil paintings and the manner of presenting the subjects, as explained by the authors.
4. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
5. In Chapter 4, explain what interconnections can be made between the images of death on pages 68 and 69, and the images of food, wine, and the hunt on pages 70 and 71.
6. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
7. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
8. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
9. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
10. How is Ford Madox Brown's nineteenth century painting titled "The Pretty Baa Lambs" slightly humorous against the other images on pages 66 and 67?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference between naked and nude while answering the following questions. What are some traditional definitions of naked and nude? What do Berger et al. propose as the difference between naked and nude? How are nudes really just objectified figures?
Essay Topic 2
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 3
Write a three-part essay to explain the ideas presented on the differences between men and women.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' opinions on the difference between how a man and woman are positioned in society, and discuss why.
Part 2 - Explain the difference between how a man views himself and how a woman must view herself.
Part 3 - Explain Berger et al.'s idea on how a woman must see herself as a sight.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)