|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes the images on pages 72 and 73?
2. In Chapter 6, which painting best shows the humanity of its subject?
3. What is evident when comparing the two images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes" and " Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
4. What conventions influence traditional European oil painting as it develops?
5. According to Berger et al., why does ordinary life have more meaning when recorded on a canvas?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
2. What objects are common subjects for traditional oil paintings, and how are they conventionally depicted?
3. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
4. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
5. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
6. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
7. How is Ford Madox Brown's nineteenth century painting titled "The Pretty Baa Lambs" slightly humorous against the other images on pages 66 and 67?
8. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
9. Explain how the pairs of paintings and photographs in Chapter 6 on pages 126 and 127 complement each other.
10. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to define and describe the term "publicity image." Complete the following three parts in your essay.
Part 1 - Describe the authors' definition of publicity images and their use in society.
Part 2 - Explain how and why the term "visual message" is used interchangeably with "publicity image."
Part 3 - Define and describe "publicity image" in your own words.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)