|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is considered a master of traditional European oil painting?
2. What do navigational instruments generally symbolize in a traditional oil painting?
3. According to Berger et al., why does ordinary life have more meaning when recorded on a canvas?
4. Which of the following would be a good symbol for the collection of images on pages 68 to 71?
5. In Chapter 4, what are the images depictions of on pages 66 and 67?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, explain how facing pages 116 and 117 return to Blake's theme of Africa and America supporting Europe.
2. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
3. In Chapter 4, explain what interconnections can be made between the images of death on pages 68 and 69, and the images of food, wine, and the hunt on pages 70 and 71.
4. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
5. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
6. What objects are common subjects for traditional oil paintings, and how are they conventionally depicted?
7. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
8. According to the authors, how is a collector of art different than a collector of other things?
9. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
10. Describe how Holbein's work "The Ambassadors" is typical of traditional oil paintings and the manner of presenting the subjects, as explained by the authors.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the two example self-portraits of Rembrandt and explain how they are used by the authors to demonstrate the struggle and journey of early European oil painters.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to compare the techniques of traditional oil painting and early photographic techniques. In your writing, cover the following questions. Which techniques are better at exposing details in the subject? Which technique gives more life to a subject? What affect does early photography have on oil painting? Give an example from the text that compares an oil painting to early photography, and describe the obvious differences that appear to the viewer.
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)