|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which phrase is a good description of how Demoiselles is portrayed?
2. What do paintings of children demonstrate about the patron who commissioned the work?
3. From what time period are the images on pages 120 and 121?
4. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
5. How could one best describe Hans Baldung Grien's "Three ages of Women"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
2. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
3. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
4. According to the authors, how is a collector of art different than a collector of other things?
5. How is Ford Madox Brown's nineteenth century painting titled "The Pretty Baa Lambs" slightly humorous against the other images on pages 66 and 67?
6. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
7. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
8. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
9. Describe the painting "Europe supported by Africa and America" by William Blake, and propose the message the artist is sending through the work.
10. In Chapter 4, explain what interconnections can be made between the images of death on pages 68 and 69, and the images of food, wine, and the hunt on pages 70 and 71.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 2
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)