|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
2. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
3. In Chapter 6, which painting best shows the humanity of its subject?
4. Which words best describe the mood of the paintings on pages 66 and 67?
5. Which statement could easily be an interpretation of Van Gogh's "a cornfield with birds flying out of it"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Rembrandt's two self-portraits, the first at age twenty-eight and the second at age fifty-eight, evolve to include content that is not conventionally found in traditional oil paintings of his time.
2. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
3. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
4. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
5. What is in the Knoll Ball Room? Describe what it looks like.
6. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
7. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
8. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
9. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
10. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to compare the techniques of traditional oil painting and early photographic techniques. In your writing, cover the following questions. Which techniques are better at exposing details in the subject? Which technique gives more life to a subject? What affect does early photography have on oil painting? Give an example from the text that compares an oil painting to early photography, and describe the obvious differences that appear to the viewer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to explain and compare how both traditional oil painting and modern publicity images stimulate consumerism and shape cultural ideals. Complete the following parts to the essay.
Part 1 - Describe how traditional oil painting is the basis for modern consumer culture.
Part 2 - Explain how publicity images carry the same ingredients for consumerism as European oil paintings.
Part 3 - Compare how color photographs are more effective publicity images than black and white photographs, and how this is similar to the techniques of European oil painting.
Essay Topic 3
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)