|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could easily be stated as the theme of the paintings on pages 68 and 69?
2. After the period of traditional oil paintings, what medium becomes the primary form of visual imagery?
3. What is significant about the images presented on pages 120 and 121?
4. What is evident when comparing the two images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes" and " Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
5. Until approximately what date does the period of traditional oil painting run through?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
2. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
3. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
4. According to Berger et al., how do traditional oil paintings perpetuate the wealth and power of the ruling class?
5. In Chapter 4, explain what interconnections can be made between the images of death on pages 68 and 69, and the images of food, wine, and the hunt on pages 70 and 71.
6. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
7. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
8. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
9. According to the authors, how is a collector of art different than a collector of other things?
10. Explain how the pairs of paintings and photographs in Chapter 6 on pages 126 and 127 complement each other.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how traditional European oil paintings make their subjects appear tangible and desirable, and discuss the affect this has on the culture of the time period.
Essay Topic 2
Woman nudes are a common subject in traditional European oil paintings. Write the following three-part essay to describe the portrayal of women in these paintings.
Part 1 - Describe how female nudes are positioned and situated in paintings that are tailored to the male viewer.
Part 2 - Explain some of the various ways that artists manipulate the depiction of female nudes to shape the viewer's way of seeing.
Part 3 - Contrast the assumed humanism in European oil paintings with the portrayal of women nudes in traditional European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)