Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character often appears in the images on pages 72 and 73?
2. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
3. What do paintings of children demonstrate about the patron who commissioned the work?
4. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
5. What is different about an art collector compared to a collector of other objects?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to explain and compare how both traditional oil painting and modern publicity images stimulate consumerism and shape cultural ideals. Complete the following parts to the essay.
Part 1 - Describe how traditional oil painting is the basis for modern consumer culture.
Part 2 - Explain how publicity images carry the same ingredients for consumerism as European oil paintings.
Part 3 - Compare how color photographs are more effective publicity images than black and white photographs, and how this is similar to the techniques of European oil painting.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to describe the word "glamour" according to Berger et al. What is glamour? How does glamour fuel the consumer society? What is considered glamorous and how does this shape culture? How is glamour the modern day substitute for the qualities presented in European oil paintings?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)