|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what general style are most of the images in Chapter 4?
2. What is similar about the two paintings by Courbet on pages 124 and 125?
3. What character often appears in the images on pages 72 and 73?
4. What is significant about the images presented on pages 120 and 121?
5. Until approximately what date does the period of traditional oil painting run through?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
2. In Chapter 6, explain how facing pages 116 and 117 return to Blake's theme of Africa and America supporting Europe.
3. What objects are common subjects for traditional oil paintings, and how are they conventionally depicted?
4. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
5. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
6. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
7. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
8. Describe Couture's eighteenth century painting "A Roman Feast", and explain how it plays into the other images on the facing page.
9. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
10. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the reproduction of original paintings changes their meaning and value. Discuss the following questions in your writing. What happens to the value of an original work when numerous reproductions are made? What happens to the meaning of a painting if it is moved to a different location? How does the addition of titles or text affect the meaning of an art work?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to compare the techniques of traditional oil painting and early photographic techniques. In your writing, cover the following questions. Which techniques are better at exposing details in the subject? Which technique gives more life to a subject? What affect does early photography have on oil painting? Give an example from the text that compares an oil painting to early photography, and describe the obvious differences that appear to the viewer.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to explain and compare how both traditional oil painting and modern publicity images stimulate consumerism and shape cultural ideals. Complete the following parts to the essay.
Part 1 - Describe how traditional oil painting is the basis for modern consumer culture.
Part 2 - Explain how publicity images carry the same ingredients for consumerism as European oil paintings.
Part 3 - Compare how color photographs are more effective publicity images than black and white photographs, and how this is similar to the techniques of European oil painting.
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)