|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what general style are most of the images in Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following is the title of a painting on pages 72 and 73?
3. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
4. Which phrase is a good description of how Demoiselles is portrayed?
5. What is the title of all the paintings on pages 70 and 71?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the meaning of the images in Chapter 6 on pages 120 and 121, that depict daily life, of any significance?
2. Describe the difference in the artist portrayal of a portrait versus a self-portrait.
3. Explain how the pairs of paintings and photographs in Chapter 6 on pages 126 and 127 complement each other.
4. Describe the mood of the collection of religious iconic images presented in Chapter 4 on pages 66 and 67.
5. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
6. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
7. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
8. How are pages 72 and 73, which contain images of mythological characters and fanciful human figures, different than the previous images that are displayed in Chapter 4?
9. In Chapter 4, explain what interconnections can be made between the images of death on pages 68 and 69, and the images of food, wine, and the hunt on pages 70 and 71.
10. In Chapter 6, explain how facing pages 116 and 117 return to Blake's theme of Africa and America supporting Europe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the development of the singular eye of perspective with the following three-part essay.
Part 1 - Explain Berger et al.'s metaphor of the lighthouse beacon.
Part 2 - Describe how the singular eye of perspective shapes the way viewers can see a sight.
Part 3 - Explain how the invention of the camera changed the singular eye of perspective, and describe its consequences on the art world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to describe the word "glamour" according to Berger et al. What is glamour? How does glamour fuel the consumer society? What is considered glamorous and how does this shape culture? How is glamour the modern day substitute for the qualities presented in European oil paintings?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay to describe how works of art from the past mystify viewers in the present. Answer the following questions in your writing. Where do the viewers see themselves when they observe a work of art from the past? What depictions are easily misinterpreted from historical art works? Do you think that viewers in the present see the same sight as viewers from the past when they look at a work of art from the past? Support your reasoning.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)