|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character often appears in the images on pages 72 and 73?
2. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
3. What do paintings of children demonstrate about the patron who commissioned the work?
4. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
5. What is different about an art collector compared to a collector of other objects?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 2
Family and other social groupings of ordinary daily life are depicted in the six reproductions on facing pages 120 to123. Write an essay to: 1. describe the significance of the paintings, 2. specifically explain their meaning and value to the viewer, and 3. explain their significance and value to the owner.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the two example self-portraits of Rembrandt and explain how they are used by the authors to demonstrate the struggle and journey of early European oil painters.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)