Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character often appears in the images on pages 72 and 73?
2. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
3. What do paintings of children demonstrate about the patron who commissioned the work?
4. What could be the theme for all of the images included on pages 68 to 71?
5. What is different about an art collector compared to a collector of other objects?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the psychology of publicity images and modern consumerism according to Berger et al. and compare that to the authors' explanation of the spectator-owner versus the spectator-buyer psychology associated with European oil paintings.
Essay Topic 2
Berger et al. propose the metaphor that traditional European oil painting is a wall safe into which the ways of seeing are deposited. Write an essay with the following parts.
Part 1 - Explain this metaphor made by Berger et al.
Part 2 - Compare the metaphor of Berger et al. to the classic metaphor that oil painting is a window unto the world.
Part 3 - Explain your opinion: Do you agree with the metaphor of Berger et al.? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an opinion essay to answer the following question. Do you think that the combination of publicity, glamour, and consumerism is a recipe for unhappiness? Support your opinion by agreeing or disagreeing with the examples from the authors.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)