|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could easily be stated as the theme of the paintings on pages 68 and 69?
2. Chapter 6 begins with images from which artist?
3. What is the visual irony between the images on pages 68 and 69, and the images on pages 70 and 71?
4. What is the subject of Rembrandt's first self-portrait?
5. Which word best describes the position of artists as traditional oil painting develops?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the pairs of paintings and photographs in Chapter 6 on pages 126 and 127 complement each other.
2. How does Courbet's two paintings, reproduced in Chapter 6 on facing pages 124 and 125, titled "Girl in White Stockings" and "Demoiselles au bord de la Seine" illustrate two distinct styles of his work?
3. What is demonstrated about the visual arts in comparing the photograph of "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill"?
4. Chapter 5 begins with an oil painting showing several items contemporaneous with the Dutch school in 1665. Describe the painting and the objects it depicts.
5. Describe how the wealthy influence the ways of seeing through oil paintings, as explained by Berger et al.
6. What is the significance of the images on pages 120 and 121 that depict family and other social groupings of common, ordinary daily life?
7. In Chapter 6, compare the visual characteristics of the images "Sarah Burge, 1883. Dr Barnardo's Homes", and the oil painting by Bartolome Murillo titled "Peasant Boy Leaning on Sill".
8. According to the authors, how is a collector of art different than a collector of other things?
9. Explain how an oil painting depicts subjects differently than other art forms, as discussed by the authors.
10. Describe the images of death in Chapter 4 on pages 68 and 69, and name some of the specific paintings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the difference between naked and nude while answering the following questions. What are some traditional definitions of naked and nude? What do Berger et al. propose as the difference between naked and nude? How are nudes really just objectified figures?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the qualities of European oil paintings with publicity images. Cover the following questions in your writing. What do both European oil paintings and publicity images depict? How are these subjects depicted in a way that is similar? How do both of these types of images make their subjects appear attainable and desirable?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the development of the singular eye of perspective with the following three-part essay.
Part 1 - Explain Berger et al.'s metaphor of the lighthouse beacon.
Part 2 - Describe how the singular eye of perspective shapes the way viewers can see a sight.
Part 3 - Explain how the invention of the camera changed the singular eye of perspective, and describe its consequences on the art world.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)